BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > First impressions - first M car, moving from 135i

11-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

First impressions - first M car, moving from 135i

I know this forum has received many reviews already. So perhaps not much new to say... but maybe some will find something meaningful to them.

BTW - a 6MT LBB with no other additions (but it comes with pretty much everything in Canada).

Looks - Awesome! LBB definitely gets attention and comments. Lots of heads turning on the road (especially the twenty-something males, but not always). It helps that I am only the second M2 around Halifax (gthal is around somewhere, but I have only seen him on the road once in the areas I drive, Caper-1 is off on the island so not around the city much). It looks as pretty in person as it does in the best posed photos. I find myself looking back a lot as I am walking away after parking... and probably will do that for quite a while.

Sound - Wow! I only have the standard M2 exhaust but it sounds great. Louder than my 135i, perhaps on the edge of being intrusive. But it is just the right balance for me. I do not notice the ASD very much at all. Love starting it in the parkade at work with the windows open

Interior - Nice. More plastic than I expected, and the leather is just OK (comparable to my 135i), but it is a nice enough setting for why I am really sitting there - to drive! It is simple and functional, with most of the modern toys you expect. A few negatives that others have already mentioned (the persistent proximity alert when you are done backing up - hoping they come up with a fix for this, audio system is just OK) but they are minor. Still figuring out all the iDrive 5.0 can do. Doesn't like my older generation iPod in the USB - even with a BMW connector cable - but oh well.

Driving - This is the best part! Still in my break in period, so I am behaving... mostly And the cold weather will likely limit my driving this year to within the break in period. But it is pretty much what I expected and more - a step up from my 135i... probably two or three steps up - and feels very connected to the road. The light clutch is perhaps a little too light (but I am still getting used to it), and the electric steering is noticeable (but well done), but these are not enough to take away from the overall experience. Once I get past the 2,000 km service, I see lots of fun coming next spring! Unfortunately, I drew the short straw and ended up with the Contis rather than the PSS, but I don't expect those to last very much into the Spring

Bottom line... I love it and have absolutely no regrets!!

Now it is likely time to start shopping for a car cover for its coming winter hibernation
Appreciate 9
gmzanatta1823.00
SoCalRob281.00
atxsk8r1569.50
Chuck W.356.00
F87LUV3689.00
Robin_NL8717.00
      11-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
Lots of heads turning on the road (especially the twenty-something males, but not always).
Crap! Wrong demographic!
Appreciate 1
QLAbot87.00
      11-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Crap! Wrong demographic!
Yeah, twenty-something females would be better... but I gotta be honest
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

does it feel bigger/more comfortable than your 135?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

Quote:
But it is pretty much what I expected and more - a step up from my 135i... probably two or three steps up :
Can you elaborate a bit more on this?

After my long wait (still no end in sight), it better be a signficant step up from my 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #6
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

My initial choice was LBB, but I changed my order to MG. My MG is beautiful but seeing these LBB threads makes me regret not getting the LBB
      11-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #7
never-too-old 73
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
does it feel bigger/more comfortable than your 135?
No comparison with my 135i M sport coupe (2012). M2 is bigger with a proper dual clutch like my 2008 M3, handles better and really no comparison with all the standard specifications. The only two things I would change at present (only 500kms up) is to have the current speed displayed in large figures between the two main dials so you can see it at a glance. I realise you can do this via the cruise but not the same. The M3 had it. Also directly underneath the current speed the gear you are in in large figures not where it is at the moment. Easier with the V8 to tell you what gear you are in without looking at anything. The dual clutch in the 135i was okay when accelerating but didn't pull the car up when going down through the gears like the M3 and I would rate the dual clutch in the M2 twice as good as the 135i as you will find out.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:23 AM   #8
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
I find myself looking back a lot as I am walking away after parking... and probably will do that for quite a while.
This is what counts.A promising start
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more on this?

After my long wait (still no end in sight), it better be a signficant step up from my 135i
The suspension is obviously a lot firmer than my 135i. Not rock hard, but noticeably firmer. I would not say the engine is a world better, but definitely more power and smoother delivery. Where it really shines is the cornering, especially under acceleration. I really liked my 135i handling, but this car is so much better at putting the power to the pavement around a corner.

I still haven't opened her up fully (break in), so I won't be able to compare apples to apples for a while. Plus I am still learning the difference in power curves between this and my old N54. But you can do a lot under 5500 rpm, and I can really feel the difference.

Bottom line is I expected it to be an upgrade (in driving experience) in every way to the 135i, and it delivered. Slightly less so in the engine, but it is still an upgrade and the other gains more than make up for that lesser one.

To answer Kern417, no, it does not feel much bigger in the interior. And not much more comfortable than my old car, though a bit. The new tech is obviously an upgrade, but I would not say that the interior is a huge step up in terms of comfort (I do miss the cruise control stalk in my old car). The 40/20/40 fold down rear seat is a nice bonus though.

Looks-wise, it is worlds better to me. I liked the 135i profile, but it was always a bit too cute from the front and rear, and I like aggressive lines. The M2 has a much meaner look.
Appreciate 1
IS+1239.50
      11-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
The suspension is obviously a lot firmer than my 135i. Not rock hard, but noticeably firmer. I would not say the engine is a world better, but definitely more power and smoother delivery. Where it really shines is the cornering, especially under acceleration. I really liked my 135i handling, but this car is so much better at putting the power to the pavement around a corner.

I still haven't opened her up fully (break in), so I won't be able to compare apples to apples for a while. Plus I am still learning the difference in power curves between this and my old N54. But you can do a lot under 5500 rpm, and I can really feel the difference.

Bottom line is I expected it to be an upgrade (in driving experience) in every way to the 135i, and it delivered. Slightly less so in the engine, but it is still an upgrade and the other gains more than make up for that lesser one.

To answer Kern417, no, it does not feel much bigger in the interior. And not much more comfortable than my old car, though a bit. The new tech is obviously an upgrade, but I would not say that the interior is a huge step up in terms of comfort (I do miss the cruise control stalk in my old car). The 40/20/40 fold down rear seat is a nice bonus though.

Looks-wise, it is worlds better to me. I liked the 135i profile, but it was always a bit too cute from the front and rear, and I like aggressive lines. The M2 has a much meaner look.
Once you go through the break-in there is an engine re-map to lift all the break-in safety stuff and then you will feel its full fury.

It was a much bigger difference than I was expecting.
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #11
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I'm coming from a 2012 135i Msport - thanks for the review. Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:

Once you go through the break-in there is an engine re-map to lift all the break-in safety stuff and then you will feel its full fury.

So much conjecture around as to whether or not anything else is actually released/turned on etc during the run in service!? Would love to know from BMW what actually happens in the 1,200 mile service.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Yeah, twenty-something females would be better... but I gotta be honest
Maybe a better chance with MG and BSM.
      11-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

There is no remap for the M2
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
So much conjecture around as to whether or not anything else is actually released/turned on etc during the run in service!? Would love to know from BMW what actually happens in the 1,200 mile service.
No remap or engine updates at my 2000KM service. Just engine and differential oil change. I specifically asked about software updates but the SA was adamant that there isn't any. Haven't tried launch control yet
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
There is no remap for the M2
Technically, yes there is. It's nothing major like a full remap, but they remove certain RPM limiters, enable launch mode, enable turbo overboost and some other minor stuff that I don't remember.

I was there when it was done.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I have also noticed the attention the car gets with younger guys, I am 50 so I feel like that old guy I hated when I was young because he had the car I lusted after but could not afford, I always thought the car was being wasted on an old guy. At cars and coffee my M2 gets more attention then most Ferraris and McLarens, probably because it is rare and because it is more attainable than those other cars. Up In Scottsdale cars and coffee is like an exotic supercar show and to see a 57k car get all of that attention was pretty interesting.
Appreciate 3
reppucci339.50
SoCalRob281.00
      11-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #18
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Technically, yes there is. It's nothing major like a full remap, but they remove certain RPM limiters, enable launch mode, enable turbo overboost and some other minor stuff that I don't remember.

I was there when it was done.
Thats really strange...not sure what you had done...do you have the original work order which quotes what was performed?

As I wrote earlier, my break-in service didn't include any software updates, and I can assure you that there are no RPM limiters on my car.

Re: Launch Control, the manual clearly states that it should not be used during break in....
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #19
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-too-old 73 View Post
the current speed displayed in large figures between the two main dials so you can see it at a glance. ... Also directly underneath the current speed the gear you are in ...
Nicely put......

We need some of the Twenty Something Demographic Males and Females with Computer Science Degrees to HACK this car and correct those things.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I have also noticed the attention the car gets with younger guys, I am 50 so I feel like that old guy I hated when I was young because he had the car I lusted after but could not afford, I always thought the car was being wasted on an old guy. At cars and coffee my M2 gets more attention then most Ferraris and McLarens, probably because it is rare and because it is more attainable than those other cars. Up In Scottsdale cars and coffee is like an exotic supercar show and to see a 57k car get all of that attention was pretty interesting.

LMAO! M2 now at age 52 is just as much fun as my '97 M3 was at age 32, but better, more power, nice electronics, same body size. My RS6 I got at age 39 still puts a smile on my face (and is my daily drive once again).

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #21
Harley89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 (Ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
My initial choice was LBB, but I changed my order to MG. My MG is beautiful but seeing these LBB threads makes me regret not getting the LBB
You won't regret it. I also went back and forth between LBB and MG. Ended up with MG and I am SO HAPPY. [IMG][/IMG]
But honestly, I can't imagine being upset with any color.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #22
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
Also coming from a 135 (is). Power delivery of the M2 doesn't feel as punchy as the 135 but that's because the lower throttle inputs are flooded with that much torque! The 135is feels like a turbo (lag) while the M2 feels much much more like a NA motor due to the torque delivery.

It doesn't feel too much bigger inside the cabin because you don't really see the wheels and the flare from inside. But you remember that quickly when going through something narrow.

Suspension wise, the M2 feels like it is vacuumed to the ground compared to the 1er. I put this to the suspension, tread width and steering response. Steering response is much firmer than the 1er. While the 1er can be light and darty, the M2 moves with purpose. The shocks are harsher on the M2, but as long as you don't live in Potholeistan it's ok.

The 1er has a native rubber band effect in the rear that can be upsetting. With the E-diff and a solid rear, the cornering power delivery is very crisp.

I still have the 1er and going back to it is very difficult initially. After a bit it becomes a second home again. Get back in the M2 and it feels like you're channeling Jeremy Clarkson (POWAH!).
Appreciate 3