E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is it normal for the engine to burn up this much oil in only 5000 miles?

10-18-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
JingChai
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Is it normal for the engine to burn up this much oil in only 5000 miles?

I have driven about 5000 miles since the last oil change back in January and now the oil level is halfway between max and min.

Assuming the sensor is accurate, does this usage rate look normal or is my engine burning excessive oil?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JingChai
I have driven about 5000 miles since the last oil change back in January and now the oil level is halfway between max and min.

Assuming the sensor is accurate, does this usage rate look normal or is my engine burning excessive oil?
That's normal. Do u hav a leak anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

That's half a quart in 5000 miles, so nothing too out of the ordinary. But yes, I would check for any signs of leakage.

Most automakers won't even consider it a problem unless you lose 1 quart in 1000-2000 miles or less.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:10 AM   #4
JingChai
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No leaks that I know of. Just wanted to get some feedback to make sure that everything was normal.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:51 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The entire length of the graph is only the top quart

So as the last guy said that is .5 quarts is pretty good.
If you add oil there is a delay between when you add it
and when the graph stabilizes enough to take a reading.
You have to drive the car about 3 times for over 20 minutes
before you can believe the reading.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
So as the last guy said that is .5 quarts is pretty good.
If you add oil there is a delay between when you add it
and when the graph stabilizes enough to take a reading.
You have to drive the car about 3 times for over 20 minutes
before you can believe the reading.
OP, what ctuna wrote is VERY important. Many E90 owners do not understand how the e-dipstick works. BMW does not explain it well in the owners manual. What BMW does tell you is to only top off the engine with one (1) quart of oil when the CBS (condition based service) system shows the "+1QT" notification.

The e-dipstick is accurate but is not a direct-read device like a mechanical dipstick. The e-dipstick has a cycle time built into it that, as ctuna said, takes time for the system to establish a new reading and determine the new oil level. It takes over ten minutes of drive time and the car (engine) must reach several operating parameters before a new level is established.

The problem is this, using you car as an example, your engine is showing 1/2 quart low on engine oil. The normal reaction is to add a 1/2 quart of oil to the engine and then immediately take a reading. Well the e-dipstick, until it meets the operating parameters (time, temperature, g-forces), will report the last-known reading, which will still be 1/2 quart low. So then the reaction is to add the other 1/2 quart, and now the engine can be overfull with oil. Secondly, your car is showing a 1/2 quart low, but it could be closer to 3/4 of a quart low but just not yet there. Adding in a 1/2 quart and waiting for the correct update interval, the e-dipstick may return a reading of full and then the next day return a reading of 3/4 full. This is why waiting until the "+1QT" notification comes up to top off the oil is the best procedure to follow. The engine holds 7 quarts of oil, which is more than enough if down to 6.5 quarts of oil to safely run the engine until the CBS shows the "+1QT" notification.

And a consuming a 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles is completely normal. Any oil leak the N52 has, valve cover, oil pan, or oil filter housing, even all three together, will not cause that much oil loss.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-18-2016 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
max_330i340.00
      10-18-2016, 04:51 AM   #7
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Completely normal. By the way, you should change your oil at 5-7k, don't wait til 15k like the manual says. DI engines dilute the oil a lot and your turbos will thank you for changing it more often.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Completely normal. By the way, you should change your oil at 5-7k, don't wait til 15k like the manual says. DI engines dilute the oil a lot and your turbos will thank you for changing it more often.
If he had turbos....
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:59 AM   #9
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If he had turbos....
Ah, just realized it's a 328 Ignore me!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Ah, just realized it's a 328 Ignore me!

I can't speak to the N54/55 because I have no direct experience with it, but the N52 has no problems going 10,000 - 15,000 on oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
Mr. Toad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingChai View Post

My car, also a 2011 328i, appears to lose/burn no oil between oil changes. The sensor has never indicated anything less than full the entire time I've owned it.
      10-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
That's half a quart in 5000 miles, so nothing too out of the ordinary. But yes, I would check for any signs of leakage.

Most automakers won't even consider it a problem unless you lose 1 quart in 1000-2000 miles or less.
I dunno if it's luck of the draw? My BMW doesn't move one iota between changes. What I plan to do next change, is to fill 2 quarts short, then without starting, check the oil and see if it does not give back OK. I want to make sure the sensor actually works, because I've never seen in anywhere except at max in 9+ years.

My wife's car needs to top off, I'd say 1/4 qt. every guessing 700 miles? 1/2 qt. would put it over (has a dipstick). Do the math, that could be 2 qts. per change. Friend's 2013 Q5, same thing, and Audi "corrected" the issue in '14. Corrected??

Friend's Odyssey needed new piston rings and it was a recall. I do know all car mfgs. will say it's normal (even Porsche), I just wonder why some cars don't consume oil, of the same model/year.....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

OP, this is likely a leak, not "burning". You will not know if the car leaks until you inspect the VC, OFH and oil pan. Oil will collect in your underbelly panel for a good long while, and excess may just "bleed" off out the back of the panel while underway. You can't tell just by looking at your garage floor.
      10-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #14
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I can't speak to the N54/55 because I have no direct experience with it, but the N52 has no problems going 10,000 - 15,000 on oil changes.
Yeah, you're right! I didn't see he had a 328, without direct injection I see no problem with the extended OCI with today's oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I dunno if it's luck of the draw? My BMW doesn't move one iota between changes. What I plan to do next change, is to fill 2 quarts short, then without starting, check the oil and see if it does not give back OK. I want to make sure the sensor actually works, because I've never seen in anywhere except at max in 9+ years.

My wife's car needs to top off, I'd say 1/4 qt. every guessing 700 miles? 1/2 qt. would put it over (has a dipstick). Do the math, that could be 2 qts. per change. Friend's 2013 Q5, same thing, and Audi "corrected" the issue in '14. Corrected??

Friend's Odyssey needed new piston rings and it was a recall. I do know all car mfgs. will say it's normal (even Porsche), I just wonder why some cars don't consume oil, of the same model/year.....
I think to some degree it's luck of the draw, as a lot of m54 engines in e46s went through oil like crazy and it was considered fairly normal. n54s do it too, I think it may have some correlation to how the car was broken in as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #15
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 MG & 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingChai View Post
Assuming the sensor is accurate...
In my 328, sometimes the sensor goes wonky. A few times I've seen the oil level at half-way, think that the next time I fill up I should add some and then bingo it's back at full a few days later.

If I drive hard, losing half a quart over a few thousand wouldn't bother me at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

of course because everyone on this thread is likely very observant, we want to know "why." Probably 75% of the motorists out there don't care, if they have to add, they just add, or let someone else do it.

Today, at 5 AM, I lifted the hood of the used Lexus as I have been doing for 2 weeks ( cuz I want to be 100% sure no fluids are being lost (been checking oil and coolant, ps and brakes). And then, I see a puddle under the car....oh boy.....

Start doing some investigation, and there is a hole, with a tube and grommet, and the tube does not protrude out of the hole. The underside is smooth like the BMW. I don't know what the tube is draining, but at least the puddle about 3" in diameter has an explanation....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post

Just measure the oil drain instead. I've done it 5 times on my E90 and the measured oil was spot on with the sensor reading. The static measure level just checks if the sensor is flooded with oil. 2 quarts low still may be enough to get an "OK" status back and safely run the engine, so doing what you propose may not give you the results you are looking for. All I do is take two gallon jugs from washer fluid and mark then in 1-quart increments. Drain the oil, then measure the quantity.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Just measure the oil drain instead. I've done it 5 times on my E90 and the measured oil was spot on with the sensor reading. The static measure level just checks if the sensor is flooded with oil. 2 quarts low still may be enough to get an "OK" status back and safely run the engine, so doing what you propose may not give you the results you are looking for. All I do is take two gallon jugs from washer fluid and mark then in 1-quart increments. Drain the oil, then measure the quantity.
gotcha....good idea....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #19
JingChai
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for your help!

I took this picture yesterday before getting gas. As for the oil change, I plan to go in at 52500 miles as the last one was at 45k.

I asked my dad who has a 06 E60 and he said it's normal to see the oil level go down a bit over time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #20
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What I hate is when it's almost at min and it fluctuates between telling u to add a quart and being ok
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #21
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
What I hate is when it's almost at min and it fluctuates between telling u to add a quart and being ok
Replace the oil level/condition sensor with a new one.
It will be far more consistent.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Replace the oil level/condition sensor with a new one.
It will be far more consistent.
Why?
Appreciate 0