BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Daily Driver Recommendations

10-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
ohnnyj
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Daily Driver Recommendations

So I picked up my M2 a week ago. Love it. Was planning on using as my DD but now thinking twice about putting so many miles on it (50+ miles a day).

Now thinking about getting second car as my DD or semi-DD.

I still have my 15 year old Honda Civic w/200,000 miles. Runs well enough but its hard to drive given the M2.

Anyways, would appreciate your opinions on a DD. Was thinking about a mini.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
zumbido
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting for LBB M2

What are you looking for in a DD? Does it need to have space/utility? A budget? The Mini is a lot of fun and can be practical if you don't need the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
DD the M2
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
ohnnyj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbido View Post
What are you looking for in a DD? Does it need to have space/utility? A budget? The Mini is a lot of fun and can be practical if you don't need the back seat.
Nothing in particular. Something small, relatively fuel efficient, around 30k-ish.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

get a i3

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #6
MarkR262
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 / MG / Exec / 6MT

I just bought a 2016 VW Golf as my daily driver.
Fun and economical.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
zumbido
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting for LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
get a i3
Ditto that. I'm considering getting a DD and am leaning heavily toward electric (i3 or e-Golf). You're in CA, too, so you have your pick of EVs. They're perfect for this kind of use case: zipping around town without wasting much money on gas that should be going into the M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #8
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

You meet a beautiful woman, the sex is mind blowing and you marry her, but you worry about making love to her too often, so you go on Craigslist and find an older, less attractive woman to have sex with every day, no doubt fantasising about your hot wife, who you now bone on weekends.

I... yeah... each to their own and everything but I cannot understand your point of view. I am going to put so many miles on my car and enjoy every single one of them.

On topic, why not a GTI? See I can be helpful, even if I think you're nuts.
Appreciate 1
ohnnyj25.00
      10-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #9
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

I'm in your shoes too. I don't have M2 yet though since I'm planning to buy one by next year. I do drive a lot for my work avg 60 miles per day round trip for my work, so I don't like driving M2 for that extended miles since I'm kinda stretching my budget for M2 (wanna baby it!!!). I was thinking about leasing and daily driving wrx base manual and drive M2 once a week for my work. I think that should be enough for M2 since that one day is still highway miles that will kinda keep up all the fluids and parts up to standard. I think you should go manual and somewhat equivalent power to M2. I know WRX base is not even close to M2, but it is still decent power for me. In my heart though, I do wanna go for leasing STI and buying M2, but I would like to save up money for retirement and other fun stuff too so....

Last edited by juyeop; 10-16-2016 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #10
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

M2 is a good DD. These days people daily Vettes and Caymans (Caymen?). If you hate putting miles on it and get bored with the Civic, maybe look at an RSX. You really won't want to start dumping money into your beater.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
jaykoolzboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 GT2

Since it's a commuter daily driver (with m2 as weekend fun car) it must meet certain criteria

1. Price -- I am assuming you won't put more than 20k since you just got the m2

2. Fun -- This is very important with m2 in your stable, if the car can't produce certain level of fun factor, you will be very disappointed for your decision

3. Practicability Needs to be a bit more practical than m2 (m2 IMO is pretty practical already in its class)

4. Comfort as DD since it's daily commuting, comfort is as important

5. MPG Need to be somewhat efficient

You left with something like

1. BMW i3 -- The lease deal can be locked around 199 - 249 per month, its not as engaging as m2 obviously , but it's still has a dynamic BMW spirit built in. White sticker, 0 gas needed, it's quiet comfortable.

Negative side is for your 50 miles daily trip, you prob have to charge every single day. Anything outside of your regular routine require extra charge.

2. Mazda 3 Hatch Back

You can lease it under 200 dollars per month with good program, good mpg, very good handling for its price, hatchback is extremely practical.

Cons: it only has 185 HP and it's a Mazda

3. Used Golf GTI

A used GTI can be purchased around 15k , it's probably the closest alternative for the m2 from my list. Relatively reasonable MPG, blast to drive in it's own way. Practical car with fun factor.

Cons: The repair after warranty is a hassle, VW turbo isn't the best thing to work with in term of reliability. You must know a trick or two on this car.

4. Good deal on BMW 328D lease program

Similar to i3, except it's Diesel car, unreal MPG, still a 3 series with BMW fun.

Cons: prob slowest BMW in U.S. Need some time to find a good lease program, they don't have that all the time.

5. Mazda CX5 CUV

If you need a small CUV, this is prob one of the better choice, very similar to Mazda 3, except it's a CUV. They are on sale all the time, you can seal a lease deal with under 200 dollars per month.

6. Mini cooper S with good lease program

Good lease deal all year long , very fun and engaging car, enough power to put that smile on your face. Relatively good MPG. Similar to GTI in it's own way.

Honorable mention

New Mazda Miata - If you don't really need that practicability , this is prob the "most fun" car you can get without burning your wallet.

Last edited by jaykoolzboy; 10-17-2016 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
ohnnyj25.00
      10-17-2016, 01:16 AM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Drive em!!! You only live once, nothing sucks more than paying for a car that is sitting at home while you pay for and drive a car that is uninspiring. Why save the M2 for the next owner?? I drove my 06 330I to 215,000 miles before I sold it, for several years I drove it for 30k a year. Sure miles can kill value but you can burn trough that value enjoying the car or you can throw money away paying for another car that will depreciate, need insurance and maintenance. Drive it, you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 01:27 AM   #13
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

At least I call 50 miles a day to a car beating, especially when it's all about highway commute (to work for example) where you'll not get as many attentions (not that it's priority to everybody but no doubt it's one of pluses with m2) as around the town - I am assuming you're not driving in the traffic 50 miles a day.

However exciting that car is, putting 50 miles a day makes it an absolute transporting tool and you will end up far from "enjoying each mile of them", you'll be tired if anything quicker than you expected and more often wish it was a 5er or even a Honda Accord and the likes.
      10-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #14
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

WRX?

$30k gets you the limited, which gives you AWD, twin scroll turbo boxer 4, leather interior, LED HID headlights, backup camera, blindspot monitors, keyless access and start, Navigation, heated seats, heated mirrors and wipers, etc. It's a beast in the snow, and still handles great as a performance/sports car. It's no M2, but it's no slouch either. Put on some blizzaks and you'll WANT to go driving when it snows a lot. Oh, and it gets ~32 mpg highway, which is good for a commuter.

Oh and they're the safest brand in the biz, so for a commuter car, that's a good thing.

GTi would be more practical from a cargo perspective, but they aren't as reliable and AWD > FWD for your winters. (tires are more important but that AWD makes it very hard to get stuck with proper tires)

If you stretch the budget, you could get the STi, which beat both the M235i and CLA45AMG around willow springs, but its a much stiffer ride that wouldn't be as fun for a commuter.

Last edited by serrated; 10-17-2016 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: forgot MPG's
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #15
ohnnyj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
You meet a beautiful woman, the sex is mind blowing and you marry her, but you worry about making love to her too often, so you go on Craigslist and find an older, less attractive woman to have sex with every day, no doubt fantasising about your hot wife, who you now bone on weekends.

I... yeah... each to their own and everything but I cannot understand your point of view. I am going to put so many miles on my car and enjoy every single one of them.

On topic, why not a GTI? See I can be helpful, even if I think you're nuts.
Thank you, I needed a good laugh.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 02:07 AM   #16
ohnnyj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoolzboy View Post
Since it's a commuter daily driver (with m2 as weekend fun car) it must meet certain criteria

1. Price -- I am assuming you won't put more than 20k since you just got the m2

2. Fun -- This is very important with m2 in your stable, if the car can't produce certain level of fun factor, you will be very disappointed for your decision

3. Practicability Needs to be a bit more practical than m2 (m2 IMO is pretty practical already in its class)

4. Comfort as DD since it's daily commuting, comfort is as important

5. MPG Need to be somewhat efficient

You left with something like

1. BMW i3 -- The lease deal can be locked around 199 - 249 per month, its not as engaging as m2 obviously , but it's still has a dynamic BMW spirit built in. White sticker, 0 gas needed, it's quiet comfortable.

Negative side is for your 50 miles daily trip, you prob have to charge every single day. Anything outside of your regular routine require extra charge.

2. Mazda 3 Hatch Back

You can lease it under 200 dollars per month with good program, good mpg, very good handling for its price, hatchback is extremely practical.

Cons: it only has 185 HP and it's a Mazda

3. Used Golf GTI

A used GTI can be purchased around 15k , it's probably the closest alternative for the m2 from my list. Relatively reasonable MPG, blast to drive in it's own way. Practical car with fun factor.

Cons: The repair after warranty is a hassle, VW turbo isn't the best thing to work with in term of reliability. You must know a trick or two on this car.

4. Good deal on BMW 328D lease program

Similar to i3, except it's Diesel car, unreal MPG, still a 3 series with BMW fun.

Cons: prob slowest BMW in U.S. Need some time to find a good lease program, they don't have that all the time.

5. Mazda CX5 CUV

If you need a small CUV, this is prob one of the better choice, very similar to Mazda 3, except it's a CUV. They are on sale all the time, you can seal a lease deal with under 200 dollars per month.

6. Mini cooper S with good lease program

Good lease deal all year long , very fun and engaging car, enough power to put that smile on your face. Relatively good MPG. Similar to GTI in it's own way.

Honorable mention

New Mazda Miata - If you don't really need that practicability , this is prob the "most fun" car you can get without burning your wallet.
Great list. Hadn't considered the i3 but makes sense. The mini is high on my list as well.

As for the criteria:

1. 30k
2. Yes, but obviously whatever I get at this price won't match the M2. Not expecting it to.
3. Not necessarily. No kids, no wife.
4. Definitely helps. Doesn't have to be 5 series comfortable. My Civic has been good enough.
5. Yes, but no Prius or the ilk. ~30MPG would be good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 02:10 AM   #17
ohnnyj
Private
Rep

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Lot's to think about.

Really just need something for a year or so. Hoping to pick up a Model 3 late next year, early 2018. But knowing Tesla this could get pushed farther out. Hence my desire to get something in the interim.

i3, mini, wrx are on my short list. But will look into all the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #18
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Meh, drive it. By not putting miles on it, you only benefit the next owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 04:43 AM   #19
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You're missing out by not driving it everyday.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 04:58 AM   #20
Nspin298
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY17 LBB DCT

+1 for using the m2 as a daily driver.

Buying a second car to drive because you don't want m2 to lose too much value is like cutting off an arm to get a leg.

That's my thoughts anyway.
Appreciate 0