E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Using the integrated key

04-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

Using the integrated key

I started the car this morning and pulled out of the driveway, was about a block away when I went to turn on the radio and noticed that all my presets were gone. Then I also noticed that other personal preference functions were amiss.

I swore and thinking the stupid key isn't working I pulled over, stopped the car and removed the key then reinserted it to restart the car but the presets were still gone. So after putting most things back to the way they were, I drove off to work.

I pulled into my morning coffee place and locked the car, came back and used the remote to open the doors. Started the car then noticed the radio was on AM instead of FM the way I had left it before exiting the car and also all my presets were back (I hadn't bother to do the AM settings earlier).

That's when it had dawned on me what was happening, the night before I had gotten home and parked the car in the garage. I went out to get the mail and came back to get my laptop out of the car when I noticed I had the drivers side rear window open. Instead of getting into the car to roll up the window I used my integrated key and the outside lock to close the window then once it was closed I reopened the door using the integrated key.

So what had happened is in using the integrated key to open the door all my personal preferences were reset and when I used the remote key all of them were restored (the night before I had been listening to the ball game on AM when I turned off the car which is why the car was set to AM when I used the remote).

I had forgotten that it’s using the remote that tells the car whose driving and how to setup the car but what I didn’t know is using the integrated key resets all the personal preferences. Is this supposed to happen?

I would have thought that using the integrated key would just leave the settings the way they were from the last person using the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Maybe it's a security/privacy thing, to prevent a untrusted person (someone using the valet key) from seeing your address book, including your home address on the nav system?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
Maybe it's a security/privacy thing, to prevent a untrusted person (someone using the valet key) from seeing your address book, including your home address on the nav system?
If that is true then it's a good thing.
Appreciate 0