BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Ambient Lighting

09-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Ambient Lighting

Picked up my M2 this afternoon. When it got dark I was surprised there was no ambient lighting for the tray area and cup holder area just ahead of the gear lever. I had an M135i until yesterday and it has this area illuminated by an LED (orange or white depending on the setting in iDrive) which was in the bottom of the console below the climate control settings.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the "waterfall" lighting which comes from the two small LEDs in the roof by the rear view mirror.

All the other areas I expect from ambient lighting are illuminated, such as the footwells, the door handles and the "waterfall" lights.

Is this something the 2 Series is missing, and not just the M2?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Also the cigarette lighter ring is not illuminated.

I'm a non-smoker but got the smoker's package (EURO spec) on purpose to get the lighter + because I expected the ring near the ashtray to be softly illuminated (orange/amber). It doesn't.

And as we're talking about ambient lighting: BMW does not illuminate the gear stick of the 6MT on the 1M and M2 either.

Anyways, maybe you'll find a small ambient light to plug into the 12V socket to softly light up the ashtray area.
      09-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #3
Artemis
Rep

And about the 'waterfall ambient lighting' radiating from the M2 roof near the rear view mirror: in the iDrive settings you can set the radiated color to either "Classic" (amber/orange) or "Sport" (white).
      09-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Also the cigarette lighter ring is not illuminated.

I'm a non-smoker but got the smoker's package (EURO spec) on purpose to get the lighter + because I expected the ring near the ashtray to be softly illuminated (orange/amber). It doesn't.

And as we're talking about ambient lighting: BMW does not illuminate the gear stick of the 6MT on the 1M and M2 either.

Anyways, maybe you'll find a small ambient light to plug into the 12V socket to softly light up the ashtray area.
So (besides the lighter) what is the difference between smokers package and non-smokers package on the M2?
      09-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Just wondering….why the Polo?
      09-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
So (besides the lighter) what is the difference between smokers package and non-smokers package on the M2?
1M:
  • non-smoker's package = open storage compartment (without 12V power socket);
  • smoker's package (option code 441) = cigarette lighter with 12V power socket located inside a closed storage compartment (containing a removable ashtray).
M2:
  • non-smoker's package = 12V power socket + open storage compartment;
  • smoker's package (option code 441) = cigarette lighter with 12V power socket + closed storage compartment (does not contain a removable ashtray).
So yes, though I don't smoke, I can recommend to get the smoker's package (if option code 441 is available in your market).

Diagram (EURO spec): here.

Though the cigarette lighter diagram indicates "Illuminated ring, transparent" (part # 61349350797) (diagram + diagram 2), mine remains pitch dark.

Hence my question to those out there with the cigarette lighter inside the M2: is the ring of the 12V cigarette lighter socket illuminated in the dark (amber/orange alike the iDrive controller ring) ?

No option 441 versus option 441:
Name:  M2_ashtray_NS.jpg
Views: 4343
Size:  34.1 KBName:  M2_ashtray_SP.jpg
Views: 4244
Size:  44.7 KB

M2 MotoGP:
Name:  M2_ashtray_MotoGP.jpg
Views: 5867
Size:  58.4 KB
      09-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And about the 'waterfall ambient lighting' radiating from the M2 roof near the rear view mirror: in the iDrive settings you can set the radiated color to either "Classic" (amber/orange) or "Sport" (white).
Yeah, I'm aware of that.

So, you can confirm your cup holder area/ashtray does not have any ambient lights illuminating it either? It's not just that my car has been built incorrectly?

Why would BMW have that area illuminated by an LED light on the 1 Series, yet not the 2 Series? (I assume it's not just the M2 that doesn't have this light, and the standard 2 Series Coupe doesn't have the light in that area either?)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering….why the Polo?
Because the M2 and R8 are not the kinds of car you just pop to the gym in, or leave in a shopping centre car park. The Polo will be my everyday car.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of that.
So, you can confirm your cup holder area/ashtray does not have any ambient lights illuminating it either? It's not just that my car has been built incorrectly?
Why would BMW have that area illuminated by an LED light on the 1 Series, yet not the 2 Series? (I assume it's not just the M2 that doesn't have this light, and the standard 2 Series Coupe doesn't have the light in that area either?)
Got to check, but I believe to remember that it's indeed pretty dark down there.

My 'brightness' settings (set through iDrive: 'Settings' | 'Lighting' | 'Brightness') are set on maximum. Same goes for the instrument lighting (set with the thumbwheel next to the headlights switch). At least that one also influences the intensity of all ambient lighting inside the interior. Provides a little bit of light on the cupholder area. Waterfall ambient lighting radiating from the roof: set on amber/orange ("Classic") to be consistent with the amber/orange instrument panel and iDrive Controller lighting.

Would be interested to know how to activate the light of the transparant cigarette lighter ring. Actually, never tried whether the cigarette lighter and its 12V socket even works. Maybe it's disconnected.
      09-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Because the M2 and R8 are not the kinds of car you just pop to the gym in, or leave in a shopping centre car park. The Polo will be my everyday car.
The R8 I can understand….but the "normal" M2 is a great daily driver that is not out of this world special or to expensive if something happens to it (and there is always insurance). That is the reason why I bought mine, to use it every day because it's designed as an everyday car…that happens to be also nice on track (where I will use it also).
In my opinion the M2 is the perfect car to pop to the gym, go to the shops or leave in a parking spot with no to much worries. It's a BMW M car…not a Ferrari or other supercar. BMW M cars (not the CSL, GTS) are designed to use everyday…this is in my opinion the great strength of this type of car.

Would feel very strange to me to drive a Polo when I have a M2 sitting at home. But hey; it are your cars and you do whatever you want with them

By the way; Wasn't the R8 the supercar you can use everyday? That is what I have read in most reviews… Not the same practicality as an M2 off course, but still very much usable I would think? But I can understand that an R8 attracts to much attention and that is something you probably don't want everyday. Awesome two car's and lovely collection that M2 + R8 V10…
      09-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
1M:
  • non-smoker's package = 12V power socket + open storage compartment;
  • smoker's package (option code 441) = cigarette lighter with 12V power socket + closed storage compartment (does not contain a removable ashtray).
So yes, though I don't smoke, I can recommend to get the smoker's package (if option code 441 is available in your market).
I did not know there was a choice…and that smokers package also contained a closed storage compartment. But is the open storage compartment not very useful to put your phone when charging or connecting or is it to small for a smartphone?

I would like to have the closed storage compartment… It looks nicer when closed and in every other car this is the place where I put my coins.

Artemis….did you order your car in Belgium? I can not find the smoker's package (code 441) on the BMW website from Belgium.
http://www.bmw.be/vc/ncc/xhtml/start...8w3#OPTIONSall
      09-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #12
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Artemis….did you order your car in Belgium? I can not find the smoker's package (code 441) on the BMW website from Belgium.
http://www.bmw.be/vc/ncc/xhtml/start...8w3#OPTIONSall
Here's the original options list of my order of last Autumn (everything, except for M-DCT, the delete options and conflicting options):

Name:  Option_441.jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  78.4 KB
      09-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #13
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Will call my dealer tomorrow....if I can still change something on my order offcourse (delivery end of november).
      09-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #14
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The R8 I can understand….but the "normal" M2 is a great daily driver that is not out of this world special or to expensive if something happens to it (and there is always insurance). That is the reason why I bought mine, to use it every day because it's designed as an everyday car…that happens to be also nice on track (where I will use it also).
In my opinion the M2 is the perfect car to pop to the gym, go to the shops or leave in a parking spot with no to much worries. It's a BMW M car…not a Ferrari or other supercar. BMW M cars (not the CSL, GTS) are designed to use everyday…this is in my opinion the great strength of this type of car.

Would feel very strange to me to drive a Polo when I have a M2 sitting at home. But hey; it are your cars and you do whatever you want with them

By the way; Wasn't the R8 the supercar you can use everyday? That is what I have read in most reviews… Not the same practicality as an M2 off course, but still very much usable I would think? But I can understand that an R8 attracts to much attention and that is something you probably don't want everyday. Awesome two car's and lovely collection that M2 + R8 V10…
Why does this concern you?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Why does this concern you?
Ofcourse this is none of my business which cars you buy or which cars you drive! I was interested in why you have a new Polo on the side with the M2 and I shared my (unasked) opinion about your reasons for having it 😉
Remember; this is a public forum...where people make comments, ask questions, discuss things, share opinions... And yes my opinion is that I find it strange that people have a M2 sitting in their garage, think the M2 is not a daily drivers car and instead rather drive another far more cheaper less interesting car...

You are correct; this does not concern me and in the future I will keep this opinion for myself ☺️
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #16
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ofcourse this is none of my business which cars you buy or which cars you drive! I was interested in why you have a new Polo on the side with the M2 and I shared my (unasked) opinion about your reasons for having it 😉
Remember; this is a public forum...where people make comments, ask questions, discuss things, share opinions... And yes my opinion is that I find it strange that people have a M2 sitting in their garage, think the M2 is not a daily drivers car and instead rather drive another far more cheaper less interesting car...

You are correct; this does not concern me and in the future I will keep this opinion for myself ☺️

I'm not offended in any way. I just find it odd that you would waste your time, not just thinking about it, but actually writing a post about it.

I'm a car fan. I love all cars. I also have a high income, so a Polo is of negligible expense for me. As much as the M2 and even the R8 are "everyday" cars to some extent, do I want to go to the gym in them? No. Would I be happy leaving them parked in a dodgy part of town overnight? No. Do I want to commute the 3km to work in them? No.

If someone asks me why I have three cars, I tell them. "Because I don't have enough room for four".
Appreciate 2
DrKevM52273.50
      09-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #17
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
I'm not offended in any way. I just find it odd that you would waste your time, not just thinking about it, but actually writing a post about it.

I'm a car fan. I love all cars. I also have a high income, so a Polo is of negligible expense for me. As much as the M2 and even the R8 are "everyday" cars to some extent, do I want to go to the gym in them? No. Would I be happy leaving them parked in a dodgy part of town overnight? No. Do I want to commute the 3km to work in them? No.

If someone asks me why I have three cars, I tell them. "Because I don't have enough room for four".
Life is short, tomorrows are not guaranteed, go for it my friend.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52273.50
      09-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I always love it when people tell others how to spend their money.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      09-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #19
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

LoL! Great answer about the 4 cars! 👍
I don't find it strange that "car"people have 3 or more cars...and of course everybody spends their money on what they want.
I thought you were offended by my question. I'm just intrigued in the reason behind why some people buy certain cars and how they use them. I know another guy who has an cool Porsche collection and also drives a really crappy used Polo as a daily car. So you are not the only carlover out there with a Polo
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

Polo!

I had a 1995 Polo when I lived in France and I loved it. No disrespect for the Polo.
Appreciate 0