BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > JRC Exhaust Valve Delete mod

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
supersam
Da Baus
supersam's Avatar
No_Country
142
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY/MI

iTrader: (0)

JRC Exhaust Valve Delete mod

JRC exhaust valve delete mod

Unlike the f80/f82, our f87 only has one exhaust valve proximal to the driver’s side exhaust tips. When you first start the car, you’ll notice it has that burbly tone but after ~30 seconds the sound becomes more subdued— thats the transition from open valve to closed valve. You can read up elsewhere on the forum about when/why the valves open/close in different driving conditions/modes.

Personally, I wanted the valves open all the time. I drove the first 100 miles in Sport 90% of the time, and then got the JRC exhaust valve delete kit developed for the f80/f82. There is a pretty simple youtube video for the install
. The kit essentially comes with a male and female connector to plug what was just disconnected (oem bmw connectors). Since the f80/f82 kit comes with 4 plugs for 2 valves, just get the 2 series kit that has one pair for 1 valve. The one difference from the M3/M4 that I will mention when installing this, the f87 valve is located just beyond a bend so its hard to get to with a screwdriver if you want to manually push it open. So before disconnecting the valve, put it in sport+, give it some revs, then turn the motor off to keep the valve in the open position. If you look through the medial exhaust tip on the drivers side with a penlight, you should see a sliver of the valve in the open position. Its a terrible pic, but its that sliver just beyond the bend. Easier to see IRL.

As far as being able to adjust it on the fly, there is CG Precision VSC-1 that is plug-n-play and confirmed to work on our f87, but is ~ 200$. Theres the Macht Schnell EVC module, that hasn’t been confirmed for the f87 and is ~$500 and requires splicing into obd2. Theres the BMS can flap module which is ~$280 and plug-n-play, but unconfirmed for f87. If there are any i'm missing, or the aforementioned have been tried on the f87, please post!

Overall, theres more gurble and pop in the low end when revs are coming down. I can’t tell any difference under load with higher speeds (perhaps bc the valves are usually programmed to be open then), but just putzing around town the Braap-gurble-brap is more prominent. Its too cheap and reversible not to try.

pros:
-cheap, 3 minute install
-reversible
-no check engine light/errors
-no drone
-no damage to exposed wires/connectors

cons:
-cannot open/close valves on the fly
Attached Images
 
__________________
M2 LBB/6MT/V1 stealth/JRC valve delete/Dinan/Fabspeed/IND/Eibach
RA Evo X/AMS/ETS/UR/AEM/Swift/RRM/VIS/ID
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)

Last edited by supersam; 04-19-2016 at 10:48 PM. Reason: adding picture of valve
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
TDM_macchina
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Maybe this exhaust valve explains why my passenger side exhaust tips are all black but my driver's side are clean.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
CG Precision
Lieutenant
CG Precision's Avatar
United_States
83
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM_macchina
Maybe this exhaust valve explains why my passenger side exhaust tips are all black but my driver's side are clean.
Yes, that means the way you are driving (due to driving mode and / or throttle / rpm you tend to drive at) is keeping the valve closed most of the time, and thus more quite.

Just to clear something up on the op's post, all the other cars close the valve on startup, I'm pretty sure the f87 is like this too. The reason you hear louder at startup and then quieter later, is actually because the wastegate is open to bypass exhaust gas around the turbocharger, to heat up the catalyst faster. So if you open the valve on startup, it will be even louder than the pen car, which is still a bit louder on startup due to the above reason. Can someone confirm if the valve is closed on startup with the f87? You should be able to see with a flashlight and feel the change in exhaust flow on the left tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
shemeld_135
Major
shemeld_135's Avatar
310
Rep
1,237
Posts

Drives: 2016 AW - M2
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: KOP, PA

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thanks man just ordered one I'll see how it sounds. I like the first 30 seconds of start up then gets a bit quiet!

Link if anyone wants to order only 25$ shipped..

http://jrc-designs.com/charter-packa...n-m-234-series
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 03:32 AM   #5
MYK
///MYK
MYK's Avatar
Kuwait
88
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (0)

Is this the valve that opens with the sports setting or something else for cold start? Just to make sure I understood this correctly, the value in this mod is to have the exhaust in sport mode regardless of the drive mode?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
shemeld_135
Major
shemeld_135's Avatar
310
Rep
1,237
Posts

Drives: 2016 AW - M2
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: KOP, PA

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk
Is this the valve that opens with the sports setting or something else for cold start? Just to make sure I understood this correctly, the value in this mod is to have the exhaust in sport mode regardless of the drive mode?
Yes it's to keep the valve open all times. You have to open it first though then disconnect and use the female connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
ashburyn54
Captain
ashburyn54's Avatar
562
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: f87 M2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: dayton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam
JRC exhaust valve delete mod

Unlike the f80/f82, our f87 only has one exhaust valve proximal to the driver’s side exhaust tips. When you first start the car, you’ll notice it has that burbly tone but after ~30 seconds the sound becomes more subdued— thats the transition from open valve to closed valve. You can read up elsewhere on the forum about when/why the valves open/close in different driving conditions/modes.

Personally, I wanted the valves open all the time. I drove the first 100 miles in Sport 90% of the time, and then got the JRC exhaust valve delete kit developed for the f80/f82. There is a pretty simple youtube video for the install
. The kit essentially comes with a male and female connector to plug what was just disconnected (oem bmw connectors). Since the f80/f82 kit comes with 4 plugs for 2 valves, just get the 2 series kit that has one pair for 1 valve. The one difference from the M3/M4 that I will mention when installing this, the f87 valve is located just beyond a bend so its hard to get to with a screwdriver if you want to manually push it open. So before disconnecting the valve, put it in sport+, give it some revs, then turn the motor off to keep the valve in the open position. If you look through the medial exhaust tip on the drivers side with a penlight, you should see a sliver of the valve in the open position. Its a terrible pic, but its that sliver just beyond the bend. Easier to see IRL.

As far as being able to adjust it on the fly, there is CG Precision VSC-1 that is plug-n-play and confirmed to work on our f87, but is ~ 200$. Theres the Macht Schnell EVC module, that hasn’t been confirmed for the f87 and is ~$500 and requires splicing into obd2. Theres the BMS can flap module which is ~$280 and plug-n-play, but unconfirmed for f87. If there are any i'm missing, or the aforementioned have been tried on the f87, please post!

Overall, theres more gurble and pop in the low end when revs are coming down. I can’t tell any difference under load with higher speeds (perhaps bc the valves are usually programmed to be open then), but just putzing around town the Braap-gurble-brap is more prominent. Its too cheap and reversible not to try.

pros:
-cheap, 3 minute install
-reversible
-no check engine light/errors
-no drone
-no damage to exposed wires/connectors

cons:
-cannot open/close valves on the fly
Thanks guys. Question. I simply just unplugged the valve today to see if anything popped up. No lights, or warnings. Why do I need this? Should I expect a code thrown?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
shemeld_135
Major
shemeld_135's Avatar
310
Rep
1,237
Posts

Drives: 2016 AW - M2
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: KOP, PA

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
This mod just caps off both ends so no pins or anything bends. You can technically just unplug and tuck away but could possibly bend a pin while exposed. Or short out if gets went maybe?!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
ashburyn54
Captain
ashburyn54's Avatar
562
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: f87 M2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: dayton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemeld_135
This mod just caps off both ends so no pins or anything bends. You can technically just unplug and tuck away but could possibly bend a pin while exposed. Or short out if gets went maybe?!
Yeah I think it's a proper solution. I just used latex and electrical tape to cap them. Zip ties to hold. I'll see how it goes
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Pyrat 2
Colonel
Pyrat 2's Avatar
United_States
1101
Rep
2,416
Posts

Drives: Rapidly from A to B
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [5.00]
2006 330i  [4.50]
2014 X1 2.8i xDrive  [0.00]
Do you really need to open the valve first manually? The online directions at JRC make no mention of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
shemeld_135
Major
shemeld_135's Avatar
310
Rep
1,237
Posts

Drives: 2016 AW - M2
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: KOP, PA

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2
Do you really need to open the valve first manually? The online directions at JRC make no mention of this.
I couldn't see it opened or closed by looking so I just "opened" it based on how it sounded. Put it in sport+ drove it around the block to make sure it opened and shut her down and did it
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #12
supersam
Da Baus
supersam's Avatar
No_Country
142
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY/MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Do you really need to open the valve first manually? The online directions at JRC make no mention of this.
Opening it manually will not work given the location of the valve past a bend. its hard to visualize but the direction to look is through the medial drivers side tailpipe, with your eye near the 7 o'clock position looking deep and diagonally towards the 2 o'clock position.

Best method to open it: start it, put it in Sport+, Rev her up and shut it down.
__________________
M2 LBB/6MT/V1 stealth/JRC valve delete/Dinan/Fabspeed/IND/Eibach
RA Evo X/AMS/ETS/UR/AEM/Swift/RRM/VIS/ID
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #13
Pyrat 2
Colonel
Pyrat 2's Avatar
United_States
1101
Rep
2,416
Posts

Drives: Rapidly from A to B
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [5.00]
2006 330i  [4.50]
2014 X1 2.8i xDrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam View Post
Opening it manually will not work given the location of the valve past a bend. its hard to visualize but the direction to look is through the medial drivers side tailpipe, with your eye near the 7 o'clock position looking deep and diagonally towards the 2 o'clock position.

Best method to open it: start it, put it in Sport+, Rev her up and shut it down.
I probably wasn't clear in my post. I was asking whether that step is required at all as there is no reference on the JRC site of having to do anything special to make sure the flap was in the open position.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Ex-MINI's Avatar
Canada
568
Rep
920
Posts

Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississauga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
I probably wasn't clear in my post. I was asking whether that step is required at all as there is no reference on the JRC site of having to do anything special to make sure the flap was in the open position.
Yes, it's required. I'd emailed the JRC store owner, who confirmed it's a necessary step, because like you I wasn't sure and wanted to confirm
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
pup73
Lieutenant
pup73's Avatar
457
Rep
547
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M2
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam View Post
Opening it manually will not work given the location of the valve past a bend. its hard to visualize but the direction to look is through the medial drivers side tailpipe, with your eye near the 7 o'clock position looking deep and diagonally towards the 2 o'clock position.

Best method to open it: start it, put it in Sport+, Rev her up and shut it down.
My Valve delete is arriving today; silly silly question...can I do this without getting the car on a lift/jacking it up???

TIA

-c
__________________
2016 BMW M2/LBB/6MT/Exec Pkg
2009 Acura MDX-stock
2008 Acura RDX-stock
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
supersam
Da Baus
supersam's Avatar
No_Country
142
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY/MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam View Post
Opening it manually will not work given the location of the valve past a bend. its hard to visualize but the direction to look is through the medial drivers side tailpipe, with your eye near the 7 o'clock position looking deep and diagonally towards the 2 o'clock position.

Best method to open it: start it, put it in Sport+, Rev her up and shut it down.
My Valve delete is arriving today; silly silly question...can I do this without getting the car on a lift/jacking it up???

TIA

-c
You don't need a jack per se. I didn't need one, but it might be hard if you're a big guy (girth wise). Safely puttin a jack at driver-rear would help though
__________________
M2 LBB/6MT/V1 stealth/JRC valve delete/Dinan/Fabspeed/IND/Eibach
RA Evo X/AMS/ETS/UR/AEM/Swift/RRM/VIS/ID
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #17
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
OrangeCrush's Avatar
1196
Rep
1,967
Posts

Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Is the valve always open in sport+ or just at certain rpms? Just wondering if it's worth doing this as I only drive in sport+ anyway.
__________________
Current
AW BMW M2
Past
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
pup73
Lieutenant
pup73's Avatar
457
Rep
547
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M2
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Is the valve always open in sport+ or just at certain rpms? Just wondering if it's worth doing this as I only drive in sport+ anyway.
I *assume* it's always open in Sport+, that's why we should start the car in Sport+ before installing the mod

-c

EDIT- Just did the install, takes literally a minute or two. Only thing is, I can't tell a difference?!? In Sport and Sport+ mode I still get that lovely burble/burping when letting of the gas in lower gears. But in Comfort mode, sounds awfully quiet. I think I followed the instructions correctly (ie I started the car up in Sport+ and gave it some revs to open up the valve).

oh well

-c
__________________
2016 BMW M2/LBB/6MT/Exec Pkg
2009 Acura MDX-stock
2008 Acura RDX-stock
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock

Last edited by pup73; 05-05-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #19
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
559
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: '16 M2 LBB
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Trying to understand this method more compared to just buying an MPE.

Besides the ludicrous price. Is the difference between this "hack" and MPE is that you have a bluetooth to open and close the valves?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #20
SliChillax
Second Lieutenant
SliChillax's Avatar
Albania
301
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue M235i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tirana, Albania

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
Trying to understand this method more compared to just buying an MPE.

Besides the ludicrous price. Is the difference between this "hack" and MPE is that you have a bluetooth to open and close the valves?
The MPE sounds better but it's still overpriced. Only good thing about the MPE is the warranty, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #21
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
559
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: '16 M2 LBB
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
The MPE sounds better but it's still overpriced. Only good thing about the MPE is the warranty, that's it.
I did enjoy the sound the MPE, but that was from youtube. I need to hear it in person if i'm gonna spend that kind of cash. probably the last thing mod I do to this car is the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
Dabozo468.00

      05-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #22
supersam
Da Baus
supersam's Avatar
No_Country
142
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY/MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
The MPE sounds better but it's still overpriced. Only good thing about the MPE is the warranty, that's it.
talk to your service advisor.. most are cool with just an aftermarket exhaust. aka your warranty still stands on everything else besides the modded part (upstream problems should not be blamed on something like a catback exhaust). A downpipe, on the other hand, might not be so cut and dry since it does more directly affect turbo spool.
__________________
M2 LBB/6MT/V1 stealth/JRC valve delete/Dinan/Fabspeed/IND/Eibach
RA Evo X/AMS/ETS/UR/AEM/Swift/RRM/VIS/ID
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST