F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 installed, no bolt ons, Map 5, pulls good. EWG wiring ?
Studio RSR

02-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
F80Boost
Banned
Rep
Drives: Beater

JB4 installed, no bolt ons, Map 5, pulls good. EWG wiring ?

2016 435i Coupe

I have the JB4 installed with FF wires
Running map 5

BMS sells the EWG wiring separately.

Can i run the EWG wiring with no bolt ons ?

My max boost right now on map 5 is about 11.5.

Will adding the EWG wiring raise my boost ?

Basically wtf is the EWG wiring for ???? I know its suppose to be for higher boost etx.... But under what circumstances ??
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Didn't you get your answer HERE ?

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Didn't you get your answer HERE ?

No , I DIDN'T, but if i missed it somewhere explaining exactly what the EWG harness is for, I'd like you to go ahead and "quote" it and paste it here to refresh my memory......
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Boost
2016 435i Coupe

Running map 5

Basically wtf is the EWG wiring for ???? I know its suppose to be for higher boost etx.... But under what circumstances ??
You have an N55, right? If so, map 5 is the auto tuning map, so it's probably your safest bet...it's what I would run if I had an intake and tune - no idea your mods.

Map 0: Disabled
Map 1: Additive target, around 4psi over stock.
Map 2: Additive target, around 6psi over stock. Suggested for those with 93 octane and bolt on modifications. Also good for small E85 mixtures.
Map 3: Progressive methanol mapping, absolute target of 11-20psi based on meth flow, meth additive setting, and average ignition values.
Map 4: Stock performance with JB4 active for logging only.
Map 5: Autotuning map, absolute target of 11-17psi based on octane and conditions.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 04:13 AM   #5
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
You have an N55, right? If so, map 5 is the auto tuning map, so it's probably your safest bet...it's what I would run if I had an intake and tune - no idea your mods.

Map 2: Additive target, around 6psi over stock. Suggested for those with 93 octane and bolt on modifications. Also good for small E85 mixtures.
Map 3: Progressive methanol mapping, absolute target of 11-20psi based on meth flow, meth additive setting, and average ignition values.
Map 5: Autotuning map, absolute target of 11-17psi based on octane and conditions.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.

This still doesnt answer my original question:

EWG wire harness sold by Burger Tuning, as an "ADD ON" harness.

WHAT EXACTLY DOES IT / CAN IT DO.

AND , CAN IT BE USED ON MAP 5 , WITH "NO" ADDED MODS TO CAR, NO DP, NO EXHAUST,NO INTAKE !!!!!

v
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
dman918
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i x-drive m-sport

It's for manual ewg control. You don't need it if your car is stock. Its more for highly modified applications.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post

This still doesnt answer my original question:

EWG wire harness sold by Burger Tuning, as an "ADD ON" harness.

WHAT EXACTLY DOES IT / CAN IT DO.

AND , CAN IT BE USED ON MAP 5 , WITH "NO" ADDED MODS TO CAR, NO DP, NO EXHAUST,NO INTAKE !!!!!

v
It gives you greater direct control over the wastegate, which you will probably never use.

Map 5 is for a 320i, do you have a 328i? If so, you would most likely be running Map 1.

Look at the EWG Add-On connector details in this thread:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15536

Additional info on it here (disregard N55, this will help you understand it better):

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=539

You can probably tone down the caps lock too.
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I think it will be hard to get a strait answer since it's part of the secret sauce, but I got the understanding that the map connections fooled the DME to give you more boost. But they can only fool it so much.

There is a point @ which the DME says hey something aint right with my MAP sensors based on all the other data points, the MAP sensors should be reading higher than they are, I better open the wastegate and just be safe. That is where the wategate and flex fuel comes in. You are fooling another level of sensors to get more boost and fuel into the engine than the DME programming wants to allow. The DME doesn't want to rely on one set of variable, it's just not good engineering.

The EWG function of the JB4 is telling the DME oh yeah the waste gate is open right now and the flex fuel is telling the DME hey we have low pressure here can we get some more fuel please. It's pretty much the same with all piggy backs, messing with signals to get their desired outcome without alerts in the DME something is wrong.

Kind of surprised the MAF isn't part of the equation with AIR mass correlation between MAP/TEMP/RPM etc. This is just my simplistic view, there is a lot more that goes into it I am sure.

Last edited by zinner; 03-01-2016 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I think it will be hard to get a strait answer since it's part of the secret sauce, but I got the understanding that the map connections fooled the DME to give you more boost. But they can only fool it so much.

There is a point @ which the DME says hey something aint right with my MAP sensors based on all the other data points, the MAP sensors should be reading higher than they are, I better open the wastegate and just be safe. That is where the wategate and flex fuel comes in. You are fooling another level of sensors to get more boost and fuel into the engine than the DME programming wants to allow. The DME doesn't want to rely on one set of variable, it's just not good engineering.

The EWG function of the JB4 is telling the DME oh yeah the waste gate is open right now and the flex fuel is telling the DME hey we have low pressure here can we get some more fuel please. It's pretty much the same with all piggy backs, messing with signals to get their desired outcome without alerts in the DME something is wrong.

Kind of surprised the MAF isn't part of the equation with AIR mass correlation between MAP/TEMP/RPM etc. This is just my simplistic view, there is a lot more that goes into it I am sure.

FINALLY,

Someone that seems to know whats going on with the EWG!!!!

Thank you for your knowledge kind sir, it makes sense, and you've prob hit the nail on the head for the EWG's purpose.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Hey man, I've responded to a few of your threads but have you ever tried using Google to answer your questions? I've only recently started using the JB4 and had all the same questions you are posting, but I literally found all the answers via simple google searches. The information is all out there, everything has been asked and answered countless times over. Good luck!

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous
Hey man, I've responded to a few of your threads but have you ever tried using Google to answer your questions? I've only recently started using the JB4 and had all the same questions you are posting, but I literally found all the answers via simple google searches. The information is all out there, everything has been asked and answered countless times over. Good luck!
Now there is a concept - cheers mate!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Isn't some of the fun in modding these cars reading about what things do and what is out there? I happen to like reading all the past info on all this stuff.
      03-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
platty
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Yeah seriously - all of the threads posted by this guy have been answered before.

I installed the JB4 + EWG wires (for reasons that can be found easily if you search... and read). And have never needed to post a thread neither here nor N54tec.

You probably shouldn't be modding if it's that difficult for you

YES

Probably yes. On Map 5 I hit 15 with 93 oct, intake & exhaust; no DP

For what concerns you at the moment, map 5 with the ewg wires allows for higher boost and gives the jb4 more parameters to "manipulate in your favor"

Last edited by platty; 03-01-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
RISEUPF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Boost View Post
2016 435i Coupe

Running map 5

SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER SO I WOULD LIKE TO ASK... HOW IS THE JB4?? YOU LIKE IT? QUITE A BIT DIFFERENCE FROM STOCK?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #15
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISEUPF30 View Post
SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER SO I WOULD LIKE TO ASK... HOW IS THE JB4?? YOU LIKE IT? QUITE A BIT DIFFERENCE FROM STOCK?
I like the jb4, but map 5 seems to change every now and then, some pulls redonkulous, then some feel almost stock, and yes, car is warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #16
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I like the jb4, but map 5 seems to change every now and then, some pulls redonkulous, then some feel almost stock, and yes, car is warmed up.
I think that might be my new word....so (there is a hidden message here):wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word :: word::wo rd::word : you know clicking this is much more fun than installing a Chargepipe:wor d: :w ord::wor d: :w ord::wor d:
      03-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #17
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
Yeah seriously - all of the threads posted by this guy have been answered before.

I installed the JB4 + EWG wires (for reasons that can be found easily if you search... and read). And have never needed to post a thread neither here nor N54tec.

You probably shouldn't be modding if it's that difficult for you

YES

Probably yes. On Map 5 I hit 15 with 93 oct, intake & exhaust; no DP

For what concerns you at the moment, map 5 with the ewg wires allows for higher boost and gives the jb4 more parameters to "manipulate in your favor"

Technically,

Every single topic here on entire forum has been posted & discussed before..but does it mean someone new to the scene.... Bmw's and jb4, tune, logs, etx cant ask questions and get "personal" experiences, facts, proven results, etx ????

Dont be soo fast to pull the old " do a search" bs.... Because I HAVE done numerous searches on all differnt things related to tuning / jb4 etx...... And to the EWG etc..... Go search "google" EWG & jb4 and see how few results there are regarding actual EWG chat, specifically towrds the jb4....

Im pretty mechanically enclined, ive torn apart engines and rebuilt them.....turbo cars, tunes, E85, diff maps etx are new to me...... So forgive me if anyone here is the almighty Dr.Turbo..... I dont pretend to know it all, and i'll ask / search / read / etx to gain knowledge vs just slapping on JB tune and callin it a day.........

Im pretty sure misinformation or running too much boost etc / wrong map can prob lead to engine failure at some point....

So my few posts / threads arent gonna make a dent in the overall sceme of this bmw forum..
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #18
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Technically,

Every single topic here on entire forum has been posted & discussed before..but does it mean someone new to the scene.... Bmw's and jb4, tune, logs, etx cant ask questions and get "personal" experiences, facts, proven results, etx ????

Dont be soo fast to pull the old " do a search" bs.... Because I HAVE done numerous searches on all differnt things related to tuning / jb4 etx...... And to the EWG etc..... Go search "google" EWG & jb4 and see how few results there are regarding actual EWG chat, specifically towrds the jb4....

Im pretty mechanically enclined, ive torn apart engines and rebuilt them.....turbo cars, tunes, E85, diff maps etx are new to me...... So forgive me if anyone here is the almighty Dr.Turbo..... I dont pretend to know it all, and i'll ask / search / read / etx to gain knowledge vs just slapping on JB tune and callin it a day.........

Im pretty sure misinformation or running too much boost etc / wrong map can prob lead to engine failure at some point....

So my few posts / threads arent gonna make a dent in the overall sceme of this bmw forum..
No..this is Dr. Turbo.Name:  doctor_turbo_by_sideshow_m-d69q1se (1).png
Views: 3489
Size:  151.0 KB
      03-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #19
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
No..this is Dr. Turbo.Attachment 1374168
Cute, now the site has turned into a daycare.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:16 AM   #20
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Map 5 is autotuning continuously to optimise the mapping to suit fuel, mode and driving style. It will learn up and down accordingly so never becomes "absolute"

I use map 5 a lot and if I'm commuting all week from the 'burbs into the city then map 5 will not be optimal for a drag race from say the 1st red lights. However if you have a sequence of red lights to drag race by the 3rd or 4th red light - hang the hell on as the beast will have awoken big time.

If you have struggled to get round your red light opponent initially then, trust me, they won't know which way is up. .. ......
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:52 AM   #21
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Map 5 is autotuning continuously to optimise the mapping to suit fuel, mode and driving style. It will learn up and down accordingly so never becomes "absolute"

I use map 5 a lot and if I'm commuting all week from the 'burbs into the city then map 5 will not be optimal for a drag race from say the 1st red lights. However if you have a sequence of red lights to drag race by the 3rd or 4th red light - hang the hell on as the beast will have awoken big time.

If you have struggled to get round your red light opponent initially then, trust me, they won't know which way is up. .. ......
thats wierd then, ......

so it takes about 3 pulls to get car to recognize change in driving habits etc, to increase power ??? i mean its cool it autotunes, but by the 3rd run back to back , isnt he car getting heatsoaked .....and then its just bad for the car now, since engine is hot as hell, and now we end up making a 4th pull.......

so if i drive the car monday am to work casual.......and then hit it ffew times.....car eventually will " wake up" ans say " hey man i get it, you wanna go fast!!!!".......then say im at work all day and get in car to leave work......drive casual in traffic, and wanna hit it offf a light.......your saying it isnt still autotuned from the morning ?? it autotunes on a constant basis......meaning each time the car is started and stopped/ shutoff ?

if thats the case......its good in a way.....but also real bad in a way..... most typical commutes, or joyrides only consist of a few pulls total....so if 4 pulls total..... and 3 of them are autotuning car.......its kind of a waste......its almost like saying fisrt 3 pulls are stock power.....EVERYTIME car is driven....and 4th pull+ every pull after is JB4 beast mode.....

what would be the correct map to run so the first pull of the day is beast mode ? i guess if correct map is used from get go, and car is tuned properly, it would be better than autotuning each day / everytime car is driven.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:37 AM   #22
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

thats wierd then, ......

so it takes about 3 pulls to get car to recognize change in driving habits etc, to increase power ??? i mean its cool it autotunes, but by the 3rd run back to back , isnt he car getting heatsoaked .....and then its just bad for the car now, since engine is hot as hell, and now we end up making a 4th pull.......

so if i drive the car monday am to work casual.......and then hit it ffew times.....car eventually will " wake up" ans say " hey man i get it, you wanna go fast!!!!".......then say im at work all day and get in car to leave work......drive casual in traffic, and wanna hit it offf a light.......your saying it isnt still autotuned from the morning ?? it autotunes on a constant basis......meaning each time the car is started and stopped/ shutoff ?

if thats the case......its good in a way.....but also real bad in a way..... most typical commutes, or joyrides only consist of a few pulls total....so if 4 pulls total..... and 3 of them are autotuning car.......its kind of a waste......its almost like saying fisrt 3 pulls are stock power.....EVERYTIME car is driven....and 4th pull+ every pull after is JB4 beast mode.....

what would be the correct map to run so the first pull of the day is beast mode ? i guess if correct map is used from get go, and car is tuned properly, it would be better than autotuning each day / everytime car is driven.
Map 2 is "beast mode" all the time, so to speak.
Appreciate 0