BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Are the M Performance coilovers really an upgrade if they are just KW V3?

02-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are the M Performance coilovers really an upgrade if they are just KW V3?

The idea of a dual adjustable coilover covered by BMWs warranty really does appeal to me. I have had some high end coilover setups in the past (JRZ) and while the performance is incredible, I certainly missed the bulletproof nature of BMWs OEM stuff. It's unrealistic to expect a premium racing damper to have the same lifespan as OEM, and I get that. But given those constraints, will the M Performance coilovers be a real upgrade?

Do we know what spring rate they use? I was always under the impression that anything in the KW line below Clubsport wasn't worth bothering with....$2k puts you a long way towards a MCS or JRZ setup, so before I take delivery of my car and have these installed I am curious to hear how you think these will perform compared to a true premium brand racing coilover. Does anyone have experience with V3 as well as something higher end?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Well, the M P coilovers are in fact about the same price as the KW V3 system for non-adaptive M3 & M4 and €300 cheaper than the V3 for vehicles with adaptive dampers (in Germany).

They have probably done more extensive on-road development than KW would, too, if BMW are not lying about the custom valving & Nordschleife testing.

Regarding your opinion on lesser KW coilovers - anything below V2's is not worth the money.

The bottom line is that no one can answer your question because the cars are yet to be delivered.
      02-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

I would say that the M Perf Coil follow the typical "OEM price increase" model, so they are overpriced for what you get, especially if they are just KW V3's. But you do get to keep warranty intact.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

They will be tuned differently so not exactly the same as KW V3's
      02-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
line is that no one can answer your question because the cars are yet to be delivered.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
pommes
Austria
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB 5/2016

MPE adjustable 5-25mm
KW V3 adjustable 15-45mm
The MPE was built by KW so its virtually the same, i got a KW for a great Price in february.

Sry for my english
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I certainly missed the bulletproof nature of BMWs OEM stuff.
Wait, is that a joke? BMW struts/shocks are notorious for being anything but bulletproof.

Well, maybe I take that back, they don't fail regularly, but there wear out in short order. BMW forums are about the only ones in the world where they recommend new dampers after 40k miles.

And why do you think the M coilovers are just KWV3s? Simply because they're both adjustable and made by the same company? You're smarter than that...
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
jcrb
Not-So-New Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 02 E46 M3, 16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
They have probably done more extensive on-road development than KW would, too, if BMW are not lying about the custom valving & Nordschleife testing.
I am thinking since the M Perf Coilovers are manufactured by KW.....if the custom valving and the specs BMW got from Nurburgring is that great, there is no reason KW would not replicate it onto their V3 as it is nothing secret to them....

Core of WrongFitmentCocks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrb View Post
I am thinking since the M Perf Coilovers are manufactured by KW.....if the custom valving and the specs BMW got from Nurburgring is that great, there is no reason that KW would not replicate it when they are making their V3 when it is not anything secret to them....
That is if KW what to release a product that targets the exact same people?
Maybe BMW made them a bit more street friendly and KW still wants them to be more track friendly?

The specifications when it comes to lowering is also different so the springs might not work as good for KW that wants to offer more height adjustments. I think there is room for both options.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Someone will get them on the spring and shock dyno soon. Then we will know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #11
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Wait, is that a joke? BMW struts/shocks are notorious for being anything but bulletproof.

Well, maybe I take that back, they don't fail regularly, but there wear out in short order. BMW forums are about the only ones in the world where they recommend new dampers after 40k miles.
40k is bulletproof to me when I've gone through three sets of JRZs in less miles than that.

Quote:
And why do you think the M coilovers are just KWV3s? Simply because they're both adjustable and made by the same company? You're smarter than that...
Well, they sure as hell aren't clubsports based on the housings...not like KW makes 50 different versions of shocks. Just look at them both side by side.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Does anyone know if M2 MP front top mounts are offset to add camber (similar to m4GTS top mounts)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommes View Post
MPE adjustable 5-25mm
KW V3 adjustable 15-45mm
The MPE was built by KW so its virtually the same, i got a KW for a great Price in february.

Sry for my english
Pommes, where have you got a great price for a KW ?
Am looking for one also...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I just want to say because BMW hired kw to make their MP coilovers it does not mean they are the same as the V3 version that KW uses.

KW is a huge company. BMW coming to them as a client to create a product is a whole ordeal in itself. There are parties on both sides determining the best design. Clients wishes, marketing, design etc. KW would use their knowledge but at the end of the day create a product for the customer.

KW v3 on the other hand is completely internal. The KW engineers, designers and (marketing team) can create whatever they want to make and it doesn't have to be what BMW wants.

A lot of people have incorrect assumptions that they are the same product. We can talk about intuition but unless you were on both programs to develop both products you have no idea if they're the same thing at different price points.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

This is a quote from german forum:
"Ich habe die Tage mit kW telefoniert ! Das pp Fahrwerk für den m2 ist eine reine kW Entwicklung ! Das Daempfer Setup ist geringfuegig anders als beim kW v3 ! Das liegt allerdings überwiegend daran dass das pp Fahrwerk weniger Gewinde hat und dem entsprechend deutlich weniger tieferlegung moeglich ist ! Das pp Fahrwerk hat etwa 2,5 cm verstellbereich das kW v3 hat um 5 cm verstellbereich ! Ich rede jetzt nicht vom TÜV zugelassenen Bereich sondern von dem was moeglich ist ! Und das pp Fahrwerk hat eine andere Farbe weil BMW das so will . Ist wie mit dem kW v3 für Schnitzer ! Ist ein kW v3 mit anderer Farbe und etwas verändertem Setup ! Ansonsten ein waschechtes kW V3"

If you don't know German: (sorry for bad translation):
I spoke to KW today! The pp chassis for the m2 is a pure kW development! The damping setup is slightly different from the kW v3! This is, however, mainly due to the fact that the pp chassis has less thread. Because of this PP cannot be lowered as much! The pp chassis has about 2.5 cm adjustment range the kW v3 has a 5 cm adjustment range! I am talking now not of the TÜV approved range, but of what is possible! And the pp chassis has a different color because BMW wants so. Is like the kW v3 for Schnitzer! Is a kW v3 with different color and slightly changed setup! Otherwise a exactly s kW V3.
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 0