E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Could a faulty FRM cause other modules to show faults?

11-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Unhappy Could a faulty FRM cause other modules to show faults?

Car (2010 335d) is at the dealer for something unrelated and the dealer called to say it now has a faulty FRM. They wanted to charge $1015.

I declined the new FRM, grabbed a used FRM and had it coded properly, VIN changed, etc and it showed no faults. Everything seemed fine, so I dropped the car back off at the dealer for them to continue their work (DDE programming).

They called me later to tell me that they are now seeing five other modules on the K-BUS with fault codes that weren't showing them previously. They want to install the new module and pull my used one out.

Does their explanation sound feasible?

Last edited by 9mmkungfu; 11-13-2014 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Spelling error.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu
Car (2010 335d) is at the dealer for something unrelated and the dealer called to say it now has a faulty FRM. They wanted to charge $1015.

I declined the new FRM, grabbed a used FRM and had it coded properly, VIN changed, etc and it showed no faults. Everything seemed fine, so I dropped the car back off at the dealer for them to continue their work (DDE programming).

They called me later to tell me that they are now seeing five other modules on the K-BUS with fault codes that weren't showing them previously. They want to install the new module and pull my used one out.

Potentially. Ask them exactly what the faults are. However I'd get the car straight out of the dealer and into an Indy.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post

Are you sure you coded it the right way?
The dealer says 5 fault codes but aren't they meaning modules that require a software update?
Also get a print of the fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Quote:

Take this car from them. If yo have a cable you can check what codes are stored. It sounds funny from their side.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Potentially. Ask them exactly what the faults are. However I'd get the car straight out of the dealer and into an Indy.
I will ask them what the faults are when I speak to them next. Unfortunately I wont' be able to take the car until the other work is performed (DDE reprogramming; car had new injectors installed) which is why the car was there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teq View Post
Are you sure you coded it the right way?
The dealer says 5 fault codes but aren't they meaning modules that require a software update?
Also get a print of the fault codes.
I am fairly certain it was coded properly. The VIN was changed and the settings from the old FRM were copied over to the new (used) FRM. There were faults but when cleared, did not return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
Take this car from them. If yo have a cable you can check what codes are stored. It sounds funny from their side.
It does sound funny. The full story is the car was dropped off for injectors/CBU. They said the FRM failed when they tried to code it. That's when I swapped in the used, properly coded unit instead of paying their asking price of $1015 for a new unit, installed. A couple days later, they said the car is now showing faults in five other modules, so they would like to go back to square one and install a new FRM.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

FRM3 can gone sometimes when battery goes flat
So you you should sure that you replaced it with correct FRM, because not all FRM3 from E92/E89 go straight to E90
You should try to clear codes from other ecus , and/or show them here
      11-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
FRM3 can gone sometimes when battery goes flat
So you you should sure that you replaced it with correct FRM, because not all FRM3 from E92/E89 go straight to E90
You should try to clear codes from other ecus , and/or show them here
I asked about the power supply and the service manager told me they have it setup properly to provide power to the vehicle. Who knows if this is the case but that is what I was told.

The FRMs were different. My car is a E90 w/ FRM3 (don't have the exact part number handy) but the replacement I used was a FRM2, part number 61359204527. It came out of a E92.

The dealer still has the car and will be installing the new FRM3 on Monday. Once I get the car back I will provide all of the codes and details from their report.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep

If your car should have a frm3 and you installed a frm2 ista-p will reject the car. The only way you can fix this is by reinstalling a frm3 unit or take the car to someone who can update the DDE with winkfp. I-level of your car should be 14-7.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Corpus
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If your car should have a frm3 and you installed a frm2 ista-p will reject the car. The only way you can fix this is by reinstalling a frm3 unit or take the car to someone who can update the DDE with winkfp. I-level of your car should be 14-7.

that is correct
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Corpus
Banned
Rep

when dealing with bmw dealer get a detail printout of the vehicles diag. so we maybe able to better assist you.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah, thank you. That must be the issue, then. I appreciate the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Update: The dealer installed a new FRM3 but they are telling me that the FRM I installed bricked three other modules: IHKA, one that controls TPMS, and another that controls satellite radio.

Does anyone know whether this is possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

This is bullsh*t in my opinion...

Teq gave a perfect answer and course of action.

You need to start asking them for specifics. Just because they are using limited technology doesn't mean you should pay the price.

I take it your vehicle is European? As far as I'm aware eu e9x don't have TPMS modules. They use RDC wheel speed sponsor to highlight when you have a flat. This is controlled by DSC module. If that was killed you'd have no ABS etc etc

Get the car out of there and into an Indy.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:

You need to start asking them for specifics. Just because they are using limited technology doesn't mean you should pay the price.

I take it your vehicle is European? As far as I'm aware eu e9x don't have TPMS modules. They use RDC wheel speed sponsor to highlight when you have a flat. This is controlled by DSC module. If that was killed you'd have no ABS etc etc

The FRM2 was removed and the FRM3 was installed and coded by the dealer. I agree, it does sound sketchy. The vehicle is a US-spec car and the modules that have been rendered inoperable are:

RDC- Tire pressure module
IHKA- Climate control module
SDARS- Sate radio module

This puzzles me because all three modules were working perfectly when I dropped the car off with the fully functional FRM2.

I would pick the car up but I have a small issue. One of the reasons the car was in the shop was for injector replacement, and they are trying to wrap up that installation by programming the DDE for the new injectors. However, they cannot finish programming with the faulty modules.

This is how it was explained to me.

I am thinking about picking it up and having another place look at it for the faulty modules but I would still need to return it to the dealer for finalizing the DDE programming due to the new injectors. At that point, I feel like they would tell me more modules are faulty, then pass blame, again, on whatever indy repair facility addressed the current faulty modules situation.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Hmm, well I've never heard of a module killing other modules. It's the last time I'm gonna say it, I'd get the car straight out of there.

Anyone can code new injectors. Dealers are limited to basic 'service' ISTA-P.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, well I've never heard of a module killing other modules. It's the last time I'm gonna say it, I'd get the car straight out of there.

Anyone can code new injectors. Dealers are limited to basic 'service' ISTA-P.
I can pull the car out, but I am not sure any of the independent shops would be able to take care of the issues. I suppose it's worth a shot. I have already paid for the injectors and associated programming, however. I would have to bring it back to them to finish it up or I would pay again with a different shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Not sure but I believe it is an option. I've got a german car at the shop a couple of days ago and it had the TPMS modules.

A modules killing other modules is "bullsh*t"
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #18
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can pull the car out, but I am not sure any of the independent shops would be able to take care of the issues. I suppose it's worth a shot. I have already paid for the injectors and associated programming, however. I would have to bring it back to them to finish it up or I would pay again with a different shop.
If you got all the hardware and software I can do remote coding for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #19
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Here's an update. I had a reputable indy shop take a look:

We started out and checked to see which modules we had communication issues with. We confirmed that there was no communication to the RDC, SDARS and IHKA. Our technician then checked to see if it was possible to code the modules individually. We were unable to update the aforementioned modules as well as the DDE because of lack of communication.

Our technician then pulled the vehicle order from the FRM and sent it to Autologic so that we could confirm that the options present in the vehicle order match the equipment installed in the vehicle. After investigating the vehicle order our technician came to the conclusion that there are 3 problems present in the vehicle order stored in the FRM.

The vehicle order is showing that a SDARS module is present. Your vehicle does not have a separate module for the satellite radio system present. Vehicle's built inside your car's production date range have everything built into the radio itself. We also attempted to add the correct codes in for the IHKA and RDC. We were not able to successfully update the vehicle order with this information.

After going over all of the data with Autologic their recommendation is replace the FRM with a virgin unit and to then code the module properly. We'd like to see the original FRM that BMW recommended replacing to see if it is possible use as that FRM should have all of the correct vehicle information stored inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #20
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

To be honest from what you've said this is all software related. And nothing that can't be corrected with a cheap coding cable and factory tools - i.e BMW Standard Tools. Dealer software isn't cut out for what you need and although I've never used an autologic device I'd imagine they mimic dealer tools rather than give the flexibility of NCSEXPERT for coding.

It sounds like your VO needs to be corrected in both CAS and NFRM then the car must be coded back to default.

Hopefully Teq can confirm...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #21
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
To be honest from what you've said this is all software related. And nothing that can't be corrected with a cheap coding cable and factory tools - i.e BMW Standard Tools. Dealer software isn't cut out for what you need and although I've never used an autologic device I'd imagine they mimic dealer tools rather than give the flexibility of NCSEXPERT for coding.

It sounds like your VO needs to be corrected in both CAS and NFRM then the car must be coded back to default.

Hopefully Teq can confirm...
That is what I am starting to believe as well. They are going to see if they can find the correct VO as I gave them the other two FRMs to look at (original, and my replacement; dealer replacement is currently installed).

Thanks for the input. I will update the thread when I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Here is the latest update:

Last night we installed the new FRM and coded it to the vehicle. We loaded updated files from Autologic into the FRM to correct the issue with the vehicle order that was previously present.

After performing coding we were able to restore proper communication with the IHKA and RDC modules as well as update the FRM to understand that there is not a separate SDARS installed in the vehicle.

After performing the necessary coding/updates on the FRM, IHKA and RDC the check engine light is still on. This is possibly due to the fact that BMW was unable to complete an IRAP session after completing the intake cleaning service. We are currently looking into whether or not we are able to resolve this issue.
Appreciate 0