BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Any suggestions to adjust the height of the Valvetronic EL exhaust tips?

01-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
M2C_Aaron
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Any suggestions to adjust the height of the Valvetronic EL exhaust tips?

I just got the Valvetronic equal length exhaust installed and I noticed that the left side tips were hanging a bit low. What's the best way to fix this? Should I get new hangers that are shorter? Here are some pictures for reference. Excuse the very dirty car lmao
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #2
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

You could bend the hanger up.
      01-11-2022, 07:26 PM   #3
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Glad to see they changed the rear muffler on the latest set of exhausts they built. The easiest way is to loosen the muffler tips and push in the direction you want to adjust and then tighten. Most likely it will be easier to adjust the right side lower.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:27 PM   #4
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Post more photos of the full exhaust setup if you have them. Would love to see the differences from mine!
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
Glad to see they changed the rear muffler on the latest set of exhausts they built. The easiest way is to loosen the muffler tips and push in the direction you want to adjust and then tighten. Most likely it will be easier to adjust the right side lower.
Okay awesome I'll try that thank you. Was hoping I could raise the left side because I like the way the right side fit but I'll see what I can do.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
Post more photos of the full exhaust setup if you have them. Would love to see the differences from mine!
I didn't take too many pictures but I'll see if I can get some and post them! Your thread about this exhaust was one of the reasons I decided to get it actually.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontreinish View Post
I didn't take too many pictures but I'll see if I can get some and post them! Your thread about this exhaust was one of the reasons I decided to get it actually.
Thats cool! Yea, I need to update that thread w more photos & vids. Did you do the install yourself or a shop and if so...any issues?

Ive been talking to Austin and they are still experimenting w/ this exhaust for the M2C. Trying different mufflers and resonators.

I actually welded different resonators and rear muffler on mine.

Did your exhaust come with that muffler or did you rotate / weld a new one? Hope youre enjoying the sound though! I sold my REMUS setup and could never go back to a non EL system.
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #8
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
Thats cool! Yea, I need to update that thread w more photos & vids. Did you do the install yourself or a shop and if so...any issues?

Ive been talking to Austin and they are still experimenting w/ this exhaust for the M2C. Trying different mufflers and resonators.

I actually welded different resonators and rear muffler on mine.

Did your exhaust come with that muffler or did you rotate / weld a new one? Hope youre enjoying the sound though! I sold my REMUS setup and could never go back to a non EL system.
I brought it to a shop for the install and there were no issues except for the fitment not being exact which I can hopefully fix. I've been messaging them back and forth to see what I can do.

It came with that muffler. Is that muffler different than the one you got? Maybe that has to do with the fitment issues. I also asked about the midpipe hanging low and they said that will happen since it is the EL design.

I'm loving the sound, it is amazing! If I can fix the fitment issues it will be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:00 AM   #9
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
I brought it to a shop for the install and there were no issues except for the fitment not being exact which I can hopefully fix. I've been messaging them back and forth to see what I can do.

It came with that muffler. Is that muffler different than the one you got? Maybe that has to do with the fitment issues. I also asked about the midpipe hanging low and they said that will happen since it is the EL design.

I'm loving the sound, it is amazing! If I can fix the fitment issues it will be perfect.
Yea, if you can get more photos of the underneath + where there are fitment issues. I'll let you know if I had to fix that as well.

I dont know when they fixed it, but the first batch of 5 exhausts did not have the muffler tucked. Ive attached two photos. The M2C photos I believe had the second exhaust they made. The muffler isnt flat, but instead sticks out low and can easily be seen from the rear of the car. Yours looks like they updated it to fit flat like the F80 version (2nd pic).
Attached Images

-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
Yea, if you can get more photos of the underneath + where there are fitment issues. I'll let you know if I had to fix that as well.

I dont know when they fixed it, but the first batch of 5 exhausts did not have the muffler tucked. Ive attached two photos. The M2C photos I believe had the second exhaust they made. The muffler isnt flat, but instead sticks out low and can easily be seen from the rear of the car. Yours looks like they updated it to fit flat like the F80 version (2nd pic).
Okay cool thank you, I'll try to get some more photos of that.

Ah interesting I see what you mean now. It does look like I have the updated one. Interestingly enough mine was delayed in shipping and I was told it was because they were updating it to have better fitment.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #11
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:

Sorry it took so long to get more pictures but I got some new exhaust hangers with multiple holes to try out to see if they can get the fitment any better and the left side wouldn't really go up any higher so instead they brought the right side down a little bit to at least make it even. It definitely looks better now but I'd still want the tips to be a little bit higher and more snug with the bumper. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

It does seem like the midpipe and muffler hang a little low as well but maybe that's normal and there isn't much I can do about that. Here are a bunch of pictures I took. Let me know if there is anything specific I should try to get a picture of and I can try to get that.

The only other fix I saw on the forums was this one, https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=28, with the Dinan exhaust which seems to have a similar fitment issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:36 PM   #12
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Sorry it took so long to get more pictures but I got some new exhaust hangers with multiple holes to try out to see if they can get the fitment any better and the left side wouldn't really go up any higher so instead they brought the right side down a little bit to at least make it even. It definitely looks better now but I'd still want the tips to be a little bit higher and more snug with the bumper. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

It does seem like the midpipe and muffler hang a little low as well but maybe that's normal and there isn't much I can do about that. Here are a bunch of pictures I took. Let me know if there is anything specific I should try to get a picture of and I can try to get that.

The only other fix I saw on the forums was this one, https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=28, with the Dinan exhaust which seems to have a similar fitment issue.

I think yours look good (looks really even). Do you like the look when its not on a lift? I really like my fitment in person as it is now.

If you want to try to adjust it more (With aftermarket or stock hangars), I would try to twist the connecting pipes which will allow you to adjust the angle where the Y pipe is. Its hard because its straight slip ons, but if you take a dead blow hammer you can keep tapping away and adjust slowly.

I did have the exhaust tips nearly flush at one point but put them back to how you see in the attached picture. To do that, I put aftermarket rubber hangars on the connecting pipes to make them 1 hole lower. This allowed me to slightly twist the connecting pipes and angle the rear upward. The problem with that is the aftermarket hangars are softer and allowed the exhaust to move more. This made the tips rub against the diffuser on bad roads and scratched both the tips and diffuser.

edit: I would do the Dinan fix you mentioned above. Toss on the stock rubber hangars for stiffness, order a new set of rear metal mounts and take it to a shop. Let them align the height, cut the new metal mounts to the appropriate length and weld. Would be quick, stress free and fix the gap.
Attached Images

-Remus Race + BR EL Mid

Last edited by CoffeeLife; 02-04-2022 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:03 AM   #13
alinc
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have a similar issue with my Eisenmann and just bought a pair of exhaust hangers from "Evil Energy" which are a few millimeters shorter than stock. Have not tried them yet but should work as you don't need much lift.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #14
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
I think yours look good (looks really even). Do you like the look when its not on a lift? I really like my fitment in person as it is now.

If you want to try to adjust it more (With aftermarket or stock hangars), I would try to twist the connecting pipes which will allow you to adjust the angle where the Y pipe is. Its hard because its straight slip ons, but if you take a dead blow hammer you can keep tapping away and adjust slowly.

I did have the exhaust tips nearly flush at one point but put them back to how you see in the attached picture. To do that, I put aftermarket rubber hangars on the connecting pipes to make them 1 hole lower. This allowed me to slightly twist the connecting pipes and angle the rear upward. The problem with that is the aftermarket hangars are softer and allowed the exhaust to move more. This made the tips rub against the diffuser on bad roads and scratched both the tips and diffuser.

edit: I would do the Dinan fix you mentioned above. Toss on the stock rubber hangars for stiffness, order a new set of rear metal mounts and take it to a shop. Let them align the height, cut the new metal mounts to the appropriate length and weld. Would be quick, stress free and fix the gap.
Sorry for the delay in response for some reason I didn't get a notification. I'll try that Dinan fix and put the stock rubber hangers back for that too. Looks like that is the best option. I'll probably do that next time I bring my car in to the shop.

On another note what rear diffuser is that on your car? It looks great and goes really well with the carbon tips!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinc View Post
I have a similar issue with my Eisenmann and just bought a pair of exhaust hangers from "Evil Energy" which are a few millimeters shorter than stock. Have not tried them yet but should work as you don't need much lift.
Okay cool thanks I'll check out those hangers. Right now the fitment is with other exhaust hangers which allowed me to make both sides even but I couldn't really get the left side any higher.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #16
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Sorry for the delay in response for some reason I didn't get a notification. I'll try that Dinan fix and put the stock rubber hangers back for that too. Looks like that is the best option. I'll probably do that next time I bring my car in to the shop.

On another note what rear diffuser is that on your car? It looks great and goes really well with the carbon tips!
That's the Turner Motorsport diffuser. Very light and good enough fit. If you zoom in, you can see a gap between the center of the diffuser and the bumper. You cannot see the gap unless its on a lift. I believe the reason is the center clips. OEM and other brands use 4 center clips while the Turner one just users two.

Photos attached for reference.
Attached Images

-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #17
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
That's the Turner Motorsport diffuser. Very light and good enough fit. If you zoom in, you can see a gap between the center of the diffuser and the bumper. You cannot see the gap unless its on a lift. I believe the reason is the center clips. OEM and other brands use 4 center clips while the Turner one just users two.

Photos attached for reference.
Okay awesome thanks. I notice the gap now that you pointed it out but otherwise I didn't see that at all.

One other question for you. Are you running the stock downpipe or a highflow or catless downpipe? I eventually want to get a downpipe and a tune but I didn't see anybody with the valvetronic exhaust and a non stock downpipe. So I was wondering how it would sound with either of those. I've seen some exhausts with a catless downpipe sound terrible on this car but those exhausts were non-resonated and since the valvetronic one is resonated I assume it will still sound good.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:25 AM   #18
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Okay awesome thanks. I notice the gap now that you pointed it out but otherwise I didn't see that at all.

One other question for you. Are you running the stock downpipe or a highflow or catless downpipe? I eventually want to get a downpipe and a tune but I didn't see anybody with the valvetronic exhaust and a non stock downpipe. So I was wondering how it would sound with either of those. I've seen some exhausts with a catless downpipe sound terrible on this car but those exhausts were non-resonated and since the valvetronic one is resonated I assume it will still sound good.
Im running stock. In the past I had a Wagner sports cat + REMUS race catback on my previous N55 M2. After the initial excitement, I started to feel like it was way too loud for the city.

My friends out here can already hear me from blocks away with just the valvetronic exhaust on the S55....so I'm happy as is haha.
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #19
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
Im running stock. In the past I had a Wagner sports cat + REMUS race catback on my previous N55 M2. After the initial excitement, I started to feel like it was way too loud for the city.

My friends out here can already hear me from blocks away with just the valvetronic exhaust on the S55....so I'm happy as is haha.
So it's been a while since I've updated this thread with the exhaust fitment. I talked a lot with the Valvetronic customer support and they've been super helpful. I sent them videos and pictures of the exhaust and their engineers took a look at them. Either they were going to send me new pipes or reimburse me for the cost of the work at an exhaust shop to fix it. Eventually they said it'd be better for me to take it to an exhaust shop to fix it and they'll reimburse me for the cost. So just did that last week and here is what the exhaust currently looks like. Overall I'm pretty happy with the fitment now. What do you think? I also have a carbon fiber diffuser on the way so it should look better with that on as well.

Name:  IMG_8572.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  279.3 KB
Name:  IMG_8573.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  270.7 KB

I don't think it can get any better because if it got raised any higher the mid pipe would be hitting the sub frame. Also I noticed that after I was talking to the Valvetronic customer support and showed them all these fitment issues they took down the listing for the M2 Competition exhaust off their website.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #20
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_Aaron View Post
Quote:

So it's been a while since I've updated this thread with the exhaust fitment. I talked a lot with the Valvetronic customer support and they've been super helpful. I sent them videos and pictures of the exhaust and their engineers took a look at them. Either they were going to send me new pipes or reimburse me for the cost of the work at an exhaust shop to fix it. Eventually they said it'd be better for me to take it to an exhaust shop to fix it and they'll reimburse me for the cost. So just did that last week and here is what the exhaust currently looks like. Overall I'm pretty happy with the fitment now. What do you think? I also have a carbon fiber diffuser on the way so it should look better with that on as well.

Attachment 2918207
Attachment 2918208

I don't think it can get any better because if it got raised any higher the mid pipe would be hitting the sub frame. Also I noticed that after I was talking to the Valvetronic customer support and showed them all these fitment issues they took down the listing for the M2 Competition exhaust off their website.
Looks really good and both sides look even now!

Yea idk they started ignoring my messages haha. I'm happy with the exhaust after i spent like $1000 additional to fix it zzzzz. Wish they would have offered to pay some back.

I'll keep it on unless a company release something better in the future.

I really really don't understand how they still couldnt fix their fitment issues on the version 2 system you got. Especially after all the fitment and production issues on the V1 system.
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      06-29-2022, 07:25 PM   #21
M2C_Aaron
Rep

Quote:
Looks really good and both sides look even now!

Yea idk they started ignoring my messages haha. I'm happy with the exhaust after i spent like $1000 additional to fix it zzzzz. Wish they would have offered to pay some back.

I'll keep it on unless a company release something better in the future.

I really really don't understand how they still couldnt fix their fitment issues on the version 2 system you got. Especially after all the fitment and production issues on the V1 system.
Thanks! I'm definitely happier with it now but still wish it could be better. The muffler and midpipe still hangs a little low for me but I'll take what I can get.

I'll keep mine on as well until something better gets released in the future.

It doesn't make any sense to me either as to why they couldn't fix the fitment issues. If the fitment was better it'd be the best option for this car easily. I'm glad they took the listing of the exhaust off their website though so know one else will have these issues. If they make improvements to it they should at least give the new/updated version to customers that bought the older versions.
Appreciate 1