BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Build Plan/Questions F87 M2C/F80 M3/F82 M4(Posting here for the S55)

01-06-2022, 02:27 AM   #1
SAC_M3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Good Afternoon friends,

I am a very meticulous & am currently trying to plan out my build for a f87 M2C/F82 M4/F80 M3. In the past I have owned FBO Stage 2+ 2009 335 XI E90, E46 M3 ZCP 2006 & I now currently own a 2010 E90 M3. I'm trying to set everything up as in about 16 Months I should be in a very good spot financially to pursue my goal which is a 600-800Hp S55 powered car. I am hoping you guys can entertain some questions that I have as I try to prepare everything I need for the build ahead. I have not entirely decided on the Vehicle I want but I am heavily leaning towards the M2C 2019(After finding out M2S with ECUS after 6/2020 are not tuneable) or a 2018 f80 M3. One of my reasons for aiming for 600-800hp on the s55 is that I recently moved to Palmcoast Florida & the scene over here is very straight line oriented however, I just do not want to own a American car I understand that for what I'm aiming to do/spend I could purchase a z06/gt500 & call it a day but I dont wish to do that.

Questions/Build Plan
Step 1- Purchase the Vehicle(sub 20k Miles ideally)(Vehicle will be DCT as I have a leg injury from a car accident so 6mt is out of the picture)

Step 2-Aesthetics
-Coilovers
-Spacers
-Tint headlights/Taillights
-CF Spoiler/other CF Bits

Step 3-Preventitive Maintenance(Would like to know what other preventative maintenance I can do to help support the 600-800HP)
-Crank Hub
-???
-???
-???

Step 4-Power Modifications/*Build the motor potentially*
-Downpipes
-Innercooler
-Charge Pipe
-Axleback
-Upgraded Turbos(currently considering Kratos)
-Tune??

Questions-

-Other than the crank hub what are other preventative maintenance things I should aim to replace/do to help support the HP Goal of 600-800?

-Will the DCT hold that much power or is there upgrading/building of the trans that has to be done? I'm fairly new to this so I would like to know

-Ideally I would like to get the engine built if it is worth it however, I am unsure what I am looking at in terms of price and how much power gain can I expect out of this?

-Is building the Engine worth it & how much does it cost? (Reason for this is because to build the s65 in the E90 m3 you are looking at upwards of 15-30k for minimal gains)

-Shop recommendations on the east coast?

-Tuners for the s55 on the east coast?

-Would putting a Single Turbo in the S55 be a good option?

-Are there any major differences Engine/Tranmission wise between the M2C s55 & the F80/2 M3/M4?

-This is going to my first full build since the 355 FBO so I plan to purchase the car & then purchase everything together in one go to install/do everything in one go

Goals
-600-800HP Safely
-Trying to document the entire build process
-Currently trying to decide Upgraded Twins or A single turbo

Price Expectations(Upgraded twins Route)
M2C-65-70k
2016/17 F80 M3 Comp Pckg-60-70k

Price Expectations (Upgraded Twins)
Twin Turbo Upgrades(7.8k Turbos only *no install price*), Crankhub Upgrade(4.5k installed) , Coilovers (2-3k installed), w/ Charge pipe (440), Downpipes (500), Charge-Air-Cooler + Heat Exchanger Package (2k), Dinan Axleback (2k Installed) 20-25kish(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Price Expectations(Single turbo route?)
Doc Race Single Turbo (Min 6.4k) Crankhub Upgrade(4.5k installed) , Coilovers (2-3k installed), w/ Charge pipe (440), Downpipes (500), Charge-Air-Cooler + Heat Exchanger Package (2k), Dinan Axleback (2k Installed) Unsure what else is required when going the Single Turbo route. Price range here should still be around 20-25k(please correct me if I'm wrong)

*Feel free to leave criticism I really am open to taking all the advice I get because I want to do this correctly as I did with the 335*

Last edited by SAC_M3; 01-06-2022 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 02:31 AM   #2
SAC_M3
Rep

Pictures of my poor 335 & my current M3
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
willin11161.50
      01-06-2022, 02:59 AM   #3
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Just to say I would first do some research on tuning ability for what you're planning to purchase. M2Cs with ECU built after 06/2020 are not tuneable at this point. Tuning equates to either piggyback or swapping out for a custom ECU.

More here: Bad News for the Tuning Community? https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760825

No such issue with F80 M3 but honestly M2C is a better/more fun car (IMO).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:14 AM   #4
SAC_M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Just to say I would first do some research on tuning ability for what you're planning to purchase. M2Cs with ECU built after 06/2020 are not tuneable at this point. Tuning equates to either piggyback or swapping out for a custom ECU.

More here: Bad News for the Tuning Community? https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760825

Really I did not know that! That very much changes everything for the m2c plan/year I want. Thank you for that!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:20 AM   #5
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

You can clone an earlier ECU to a post 06/2020 M2C and still tune it.

OP an R35 will be faster in a straight line and hook better...

600-800whp on an S55 is fairly easy and well documented. Just need hybrid turbos, downpipes, and a tune. The cooling system doesn't really need an upgrade unless you are at the 700-800whp end of things and want to do repeated passes without cool downs.

As to your questions

-Other than the crank hub what are other preventative maintenance things I should aim to replace/do to help support the HP Goal of 600-800?

Maybe the charge pipes since they do go bang from time to time,

-Will the DCT hold that much power or is there upgrading/building of the trans that has to be done? I'm fairly new to this so I would like to know

Yes at 600whp but at 800whp you will want a new clutch pack able to take those power levels.

-Ideally I would like to get the engine built if it is worth it however, I am unsure what I am looking at in terms of price and how much power gain can I expect out of this?

Not needed till the 7-800+whp area

-Is building the Engine worth it & how much does it cost? (Reason for this is because to build the s65 in the E90 m3 you are looking at upwards of 15-30k for minimal gains)

This car is turbo from the factory a "built" motor is much cheaper and is generally just uprated rods and pistons

A remote tunner familiar with the platform is probably better

No real reason to do this other than to be different or improve the sound of the S55.

-Are there any major differences Engine/Tranmission wise between the M2C s55 & the F80/2 M3/M4?

No the drivetrains are pretty much identical for all F8X cars.
      01-06-2022, 03:38 AM   #6
SAC_M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

600-800whp on an S55 is fairly easy and well documented. Just need hybrid turbos, downpipes, and a tune. The cooling system doesn't really need an upgrade unless you are at the 700-800whp end of things and want to do repeated passes without cool downs.

As to your questions

Yes at 600whp but at 800whp you will want a new clutch pack able to take those power levels.

This car is turbo from the factory a "built" motor is much cheaper and is generally just uprated rods and pistons

No real reason to do this other than to be different or improve the sound of the S55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

As to your questions

Thank you for this information I very much appreciate it! I am still considering the single turbo just to do something a bit outside the norm if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC_M3 View Post
Thank you for this information I very much appreciate it! I am still considering the single turbo just to do something a bit outside the norm if that makes sense.
Its the route less traveled and would stand out for sure. This might help

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-s55-m3-m4-s...urbo-upgrades/
      01-11-2022, 03:37 AM   #8
willin11
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC_M3 View Post
Pictures of my poor 335 & my current M3
Gorgeous