BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > All Seasons instead of Snow Tires in a pinch?

01-04-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
dab1981
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2C

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
All Seasons instead of Snow Tires in a pinch?

I just received a promotion and will be moving from Texas to Pennsylvania most likely next week. Things move fast! I'm starting to look for snow tires, and I'm not having much luck locally so far (big surprise in Texas). Since time isn't on my side, would an all season tire, like a Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, be a reasonable substitute? I'm not sure I want to drive my PSS's up there during this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab1981 View Post
I just received a promotion and will be moving from Texas to Pennsylvania most likely next week. Things move fast! I'm starting to look for snow tires, and I'm not having much luck locally so far (big surprise in Texas). Since time isn't on my side, would an all season tire, like a Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, be a reasonable substitute? I'm not sure I want to drive my PSS's up there during this time of year.
Depending on where in Pa you are moving there is a big difference in snowfall. SE (Philly) area sees little snow but cold enough you shouldn't be using the PSS. A new set of all seasons will work well. North (Poconos)and east (Pittsburgh) get more snow and would recommend dedicated snows.
That being said, I run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 out of the Philly area due to trips to upstate NY.
Summer wheels and tires are Michelin PS4s.
Good luck with the move.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

A/S tire will be fine unless you intend to actually drive in snow.

Since I never actually drive my car in snow, I'm considering replacing my snows with A/S when the time comes. Seems like A/S will also be better for the changeover periods when it can be 30 one day and 65 the next.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:38 PM   #4
dab1981
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2C

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I'm going to Wilkes-Barre. I plan on getting a 4WD vehicle of some type when I get up there, but there's a good chance I'll have to drive in the snow before that can happen. The M2 will turn into the weekend/summer car. I'm definitely keeping it!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:48 PM   #5
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resoelg View Post
Depending on where in Pa you are moving there is a big difference in snowfall. SE (Philly) area sees little snow but cold enough you shouldn't be using the PSS. A new set of all seasons will work well. North (Poconos)and east (Pittsburgh) get more snow and would recommend dedicated snows.
That being said, I run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 out of the Philly area due to trips to upstate NY.
Summer wheels and tires are Michelin PS4s.
Good luck with the move.
Agree with this. If the M2 is your only car and you're going to a snowy area you 100% will want a separate set of snow wheels/tires. Summer tires typically start degrading in grip substantially under 45F, but generally won't see damage until around 20F. That would rule out running PS4s or PSS year around pretty much anywhere in PA.

So really it comes down to area. Not much snowfall = all seasons. Lots of potential snowfall = snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:13 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I'm going to Wilkes-Barre. I plan on getting a 4WD vehicle of some type when I get up there, but there's a good chance I'll have to drive in the snow before that can happen. The M2 will turn into the weekend/summer car. I'm definitely keeping it!
Unless you can work remotely anytime it snows, you'll want winter tires in that area.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #7
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
If you only plan on using the M2 this winter, see if you can find some cheap snow tires that will fit on the stock wheels and just swap your PSS back on after winter. Once you have a 4wd winter car you'll just have to be prepared to sit the M2 most of winter due to the temps. You can always switch to all seasons permanently if you wanted to keep driving in the colder weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #8
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
M2C is perfectly capable in winter, as long as you know/learn how to drive on ice, in snow, slush, etc. And fun, too. A set of dedicated winter tires for the M2C is certainly less expense, if that is a consideration.

PS: get those Pirelli Winter SottoZero Serie II from TireRack in 245/35/19 + 265/35/19 for the moment and you should be good for most winter conditions you are likely to encounter.

Last edited by x233; 01-05-2022 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0