BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R or Eibach Springs? Which is harsher to stock shocks?

03-26-2023, 09:51 AM   #1
overlord18
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

H&R or Eibach Springs? Which is harsher to stock shocks?

I've read countless threads, but can't seem to find an answer to this question.

I know H&R is a stiffer spring and Eibachs are softer. I am well aware that springs on stock shocks will wear out stock shocks quicker because it is not designed for it and coilovers is the way to go.

That said, i want to find out which springs will be gentler to the stock shocks/making it last longer than the other?

My car is a weekend driver, I don't track, just cruise down nice roads majority of the time.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 01:17 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

This is going to be anyone's guess because there's no real way to verify it. In theory, the softer spring will cycle the shock faster and probably in a range that it isn't designed to operate at, wearing it faster. But in reality it probably doesn't matter.
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      03-26-2023, 01:40 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Both will kill your struts post haste because the stock strut is made to work only in a very short range, and putting it outside that range will quickly kill it.

Regardless of price, there is NO spring set you can buy for the stock struts that will not do this.

Your choice is to either buy springs, kill your struts and put up with the even worse than stock ride, or buy coil-overs. There is no 3rd option, unfortunately.

And yes, before you ask, KW HAS as well. Millions of those were sold as if they were better than H&R, Eibach, MS, etc, but they do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 06:15 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord18 View Post
I've read countless threads, but can't seem to find an answer to this question.

I know H&R is a stiffer spring and Eibachs are softer. I am well aware that springs on stock shocks will wear out stock shocks quicker because it is not designed for it and coilovers is the way to go.

That said, i want to find out which springs will be gentler to the stock shocks/making it last longer than the other?

My car is a weekend driver, I don't track, just cruise down nice roads majority of the time.

Thanks in advance!
It’s the lowering action of the new springs (not necessarily their spring rates) that causes stock dampers to bottom out more and wear out faster. Stock dampers are not typically designed internally with enough piston travel to accommodate being lowered.

Don’t assume that coilovers are automatically the way to go. They are just a damper and a spring bought from the same manufacturer. They have the same factors of damper characteristics and spring rates that come into play.

Keep in mind that when people say that Eibachs are softer springs, that is comparing them to H&R which are often stiff/harsh. Eibachs typically have slightly higher spring rates than stock so more control without being harsh/teeth rattling.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:25 AM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Don’t assume that coilovers are automatically the way to go. They are just a damper and a spring bought from the same manufacturer. They have the same factors of damper characteristics and spring rates that come into play.
This doesn't make any sense.

YES, assume coil-overs are the way to go, and just for the reasons you stated. The shock/strut is made to work within the spring range, and the damping will be vastly better.

- Keep it stock (and put up with the overly crashy ride)
- Buy ANY spring set (kill your stock suspension and make it worse)
- Buy coil-overs and win
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:08 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
This doesn't make any sense.

YES, assume coil-overs are the way to go, and just for the reasons you stated. The shock/strut is made to work within the spring range, and the damping will be vastly better.

- Keep it stock (and put up with the overly crashy ride)
- Buy ANY spring set (kill your stock suspension and make it worse)
- Buy coil-overs and win
No where did I say to “keep it stock”, or to “buy ANY spring set”. My point was to evaluate various coilovers the same way that one would evaluate the addition of separate dampers and springs.

Coilovers aren’t the only way to obtain dampers and springs that work together. Damper and spring manufacturers do a lot of testing and often offer kit part numbers in their product catalogs that incorporate their own product along with a product from another manufacturer.

For a specific car, after identifying potential separate dampers, potential separate springs and potential coilovers, the first thing that I’d do is contact the tech supports of the various manufacturers, give them their spring or coilover part number that fits my car, and ask them to provide the spring rates.

(Note: H&R tech support is the only one that has refused me, acting like their spring rates are top secret. Ridiculous! H&R spring rates can be found by searching and asking top tuners and retailers who deal with their products)

Some spring rates may be in the same ballpark, while others may be very different. That may lead one to other questions. Then there are damper specs as well.

My point with this example is that it is important to collect readily available objective information to go along with forum opinions which are mostly subjective information from sources of mostly unknown quality.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0