BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF and ceramic coat price check

11-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Boiler340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

PPF and ceramic coat price check

Asking to see if the following services are worth $2k. Car is a 2018 M2.

-Hand wash

-High gloss polish

-XPEL PPF for front bumper, front fenders, the exterior mirrors, and the hood

-The PPF would also receive two layers of Gtechniq Ceramic Coating
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

for that price you should be getting ceramic coating on the entire car not just the PPF'd portions unless I'm incorrectly reading what you wrote
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      11-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Boiler340
Enlisted Member
Rep

From what our email conversation states, I'm assuming it's only the PPF portions that receive ceramic coat.

Good data point thought, that it should include the entire car on the ceramic coat.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler340 View Post
Asking to see if the following services are worth $2k. Car is a 2018 M2.

-Hand wash

-High gloss polish

-XPEL PPF for front bumper, front fenders, the exterior mirrors, and the hood

-The PPF would also receive two layers of Gtechniq Ceramic Coating
Sounds reasonable depending on your location.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Boiler340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Expected time for the service is 3 days. Somewhat surprising.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Not sure what a high-gloss polish should cost you, but I imagine $300 at a minimum.

Common price for the "track pack" PPF in St Louis, MO is $2200-$2600, and that's pretty inexpensive. A lot of guys on the coasts pay a lot more.

As far as the ceramic coating, you should be able to get it for less than $1K if you're doing it all in one place. Remember, they are now making film with ceramic coating embedded already...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
Boiler340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for that reference point. The deal I'm being sold seems to be relatively reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler340 View Post
Thanks for that reference point. The deal I'm being sold seems to be relatively reasonable.
It might be, but you have to be very careful, as installation/application is everything.

A lot of companies use pre-cut pieces for PPF, and that means no wrapped edges unless they modify the template, which a lot of places won't do.

And ceramic coating you have to be extra careful with. Did you know that if you don't keep the coating dry for 2 weeks that the seal will be compromised?

Watch this.

Appreciate 2
      11-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #9
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
It might be, but you have to be very careful, as installation/application is everything.

A lot of companies use pre-cut pieces for PPF, and that means no wrapped edges unless they modify the template, which a lot of places won't do.

And ceramic coating you have to be extra careful with. Did you know that if you don't keep the coating dry for 2 weeks that the seal will be compromised?

Watch this.
Great video. All good information.

I was hesitant about PPF in general because I've seen so many nice enthusiast cars at Cars & Coffee meets having visible seams. Especially a PPF job that only covers the front part of the hood. And for an example everyone here can see themselves, take a look at the BMW factory PPF in front of the rear wheels. When I brought my car home for the first time, straight from the dealership, my wife's first question was "what's the line behind the car door?" Yes, even to a non-enthusiast's untrained eye from 10 feet away, PPF seams are visible.

Like everyone else who cares about their car, I hate rock chips, and unless the car is a full-time garage queen, eventually you will get them. Unless you have PPF.

Reluctantly I bit the bullet and got PPF installed three days after delivery. I decided to do just the front bumper. My local installer uses XPEL Ultimate and quoted me a price of $600 for the computer-cut front bumper kit. I asked about visible seams and he assured me the film would wrap over the top so it ended underneath the hood. It also wraps around the wheel wells, and wraps underneath the bumper. When I came to see the job afterwards, I was 100% satisfied with the installer. His comment was that the next time he does an M2C, it will be more than $600 because it was quite a complex job.

5 months later I don't regret the decision at all. In fact, I feel somewhat invulnerable when taking the car on the highway, like it has a suit of armor on it. I still keep my distance from tractor trailers, but am not so stressed about going on the highway like I used to be.

I checked into a professional ceramic coating as well, but decided to pass on the $1200 quote. The detailer said it was good for 5 years. But instead I use a light spray of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax on the whole car following every wash. It's super easy to apply - just spray on and rinse off (after rubbing in the initial bonding coat). Water beading is incredible afterwards. I use a cordless leaf blower to dry it which gets rid of almost every drop of water. And then a single waffle-type microfiber drying towel finishes it, as well as the door jambs, trunk lid, fuel filler cap, and under the hood.
      11-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Not sure what a high-gloss polish should cost you, but I imagine $300 at a minimum.

Common price for the "track pack" PPF in St Louis, MO is $2200-$2600, and that's pretty inexpensive. A lot of guys on the coasts pay a lot more.

As far as the ceramic coating, you should be able to get it for less than $1K if you're doing it all in one place. Remember, they are now making film with ceramic coating embedded already...
Can attest to STL, MO pricing - received quotes for various portions up to whole car from 2 shops here, went with Clear Auto bra and paid just shy of $5k for entire car PPF in XPEL. $2k seems about right for what OP outlined.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:16 AM   #11
Pack19
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C F87

Garage List
I think it is a fair price, as others have posted, when you spend that much is easy to ask for coating to be included for the entire vehicle (some centres use this as promo). I was quoted 2K Eur inc VAT and managed to negotiate a bit. (pics here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post28697140)

Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0