BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Remove scuff on ceramic coating

09-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
thegarius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Remove scuff on ceramic coating

Hoping I can get some advice from the group on removing/buffing out tire scuff on newly ceramic coated body.

Long story short - a raging ass of a human being tried to run me off the road and his tire scraped my driver side above my wheel well - pic attached.

I just had the car ceramic coated, and the scruff appears to be surface only. I tried to buff it out By hand by lightly buffing by hand with ceramic detail spray and a detail cloth but no luck.

I was going to try as a next step to get a buffing pad kit for my drill and try that with some ceramic pro detail spray. However I'm new to the ceramic world and just not sure if that is too harsh or if I can attempt another method? Also not sure if anyone had any recs on spray or compound to try?

Advanced many thanks and appreciation for any advice!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
kellyzerx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarius View Post
Hoping I can get some advice from the group on removing/buffing out tire scuff on newly ceramic coated body.

Long story short - a raging ass of a human being tried to run me off the road and his tire scraped my driver side above my wheel well - pic attached.

I just had the car ceramic coated, and the scruff appears to be surface only. I tried to buff it out By hand by lightly buffing by hand with ceramic detail spray and a detail cloth but no luck.

I was going to try as a next step to get a buffing pad kit for my drill and try that with some ceramic pro detail spray. However I'm new to the ceramic world and just not sure if that is too harsh or if I can attempt another method? Also not sure if anyone had any recs on spray or compound to try?

Advanced many thanks and appreciation for any advice!!!
Using a drill to polish runs the risk of burning through your clear coat. Use a random orbital polisher. If you don't have one or can't borrow one look into paying someone. On my old 135i bird crap etched the paint on my door. The polish I was using couldn't quite remove it. My dealer brought someone in to do it and it only cost about $75 including tax.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Also, if you don’t have an orbital then hand polish looks like it’ll work. Doesn’t appear to be that bad. I suspect with a bit of elbow grease it’ll come out and you can re-apply protection in that area.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #4
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

You will need a mild polish to remove the scuff marks. The ceramic spray won’t do anything except provide some protection. Like the posts above don’t use a drill- you will burn the paint. Pick up a polish at your local car parts store. Use it by hand with a microfiber towel and then finish up with ceramic spray to protect the area you polished.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50