BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Windshield Replacement Nightmare

09-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
14irahtom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Windshield Replacement Nightmare

Got a cracked windshield from a stupid rock that came out of nowhere on the interstate and am going through my worst nightmare. I have full glass in NY and opened a glass claim, and immediately called them to authorize OEM glass install. They refused and I asked to speak to a manger, and I implored them to install factory/OEM glass to no avail. I caved and went to Safelite where they installed the Pilkington EZ-Plus brand windshield, which I've heard is fine but they had trouble recalibrating the front camera and related safety systems. I have a bunch of malfunction messages on the dash and infotainment system.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible that the Safelite technicians damaged the front camera module or wiring during removal? I just want to go to a dealer now to get this all resolved and send a bill to Geico to cover the costs.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
I have had a bad windshield installed by Safelite and made them change it until everything worked correctly. The camera is part of your safety system so they HAVE to provide a windscreen that does not defeat your safety system. Is it even legal to defeat safety systems?
Appreciate 1
HSF87ZED228.00
      09-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Pilkington is one of the real deal OEM manufacturers of BMW glass so you didn't get shafted there.

Take it to the dealer for the calibration. Safelite probably doesn't have the knowledge or tools to be able to do it correctly. Send the bill to Geico
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
I had my windshield replaced by Safelite with an OE brand, I think Fuyao, and they were able to calibrate it. This was almost 2.5 years ago and no issues at all. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Here's what the greasy bastids from Safelite did to my '16 Golf R. Camera on the left (it was ok), rain sensor on the right (FAR from ok!). Greasy fingerprints, sensor not reinstalled properly, no longer functional until I had a non-butcher actual professional undo their horrendously sloppy work. Also had excessive adhesive oozing from edges of windshield INSIDE the car. Safelite has some good techs who know what they're doing and actually care to do a good job - and a whole bunch of these guys who will be working in some call center next week. Never, ever again will I let these guys touch any car of mine.

09-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also - BMW OEM glass is NOT expensive and should barely cost any more than a crappy Chinese Fuyao windshield - so INSIST on OEM glass (or an OEM make like Pilkington which should be OK, just minus the BMW logo). If your insurance company hesitates, just tell them you'll pay the difference - it should be minimal.
      09-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Also - BMW OEM glass is NOT expensive and should barely cost any more than a crappy Chinese Fuyao windshield - so INSIST on OEM glass (or an OEM make like Pilkington which should be OK, just minus the BMW logo). If your insurance company hesitates, just tell them you'll pay the difference - it should be minimal.
When I had my windshield replaced, safelite refused to do oem glass unless I paid the difference, which according to them, was around 500 bucks.

Told them to kick rocks and went through Glass America, they did my install with factory glass, literally identical to what I had, for the cost of my deductible. (100 bucks) no additional out of pocket.

They even had some fancy remote device that did the calibration for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #8
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I gotta say, my Fuyao replacement Mazda windshield was great. I don't think Fuyao is any worse than Pilkington, PPG, etc. at this point. OEM Mazda glass was St. Gobain and the Fuyao actually has less ripples / distortion visible when I wear polarized lenses.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:16 PM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The Korean windshield on my wife's Kia Soul is the best I've seen in decades. Zero distortion, superb clarity, and it's been durable (40k miles). I don't have any experience with Fuyao but given how crappy the "name brand" stuff has gotten in recent years, I can't imagine it's any worse.

I busted my 5-month-old M2c windshield on the last BMWCCA cruise, a star with vertical crack right up front & center in my field of view. Found a local glass repair guy with 30+ years of experience who prides himself on using the best gear and claiming superior skills. I'll be damned if he didn't do the best repair I've ever seen - It's virtually impossible to even find now. And he was in my garage doing the repair within 20 minutes of contacting him. So glad I've "got a guy" now who's local and awesome.
      10-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

I just picked up a dealer OEM windshield for BMW M2C use, as a spare part to have for a rainy day, since the price was so good. The price will only go up from here.

It was $275 after some discounting with free pick up. It is not Pilkington nor Fuyao, and it's made in Bulgaria.
It's BMW branded and is the same as the original, but the brand name escapes me at the moment.

I have my own private installers, so it's not a big deal. It doesn't take much space in a storage area.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #11
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
I just picked up a dealer OEM windshield for BMW M2C use, as a spare part to have for a rainy day, since the price was so good. The price will only go up from here.

It was $275 after some discounting with free pick up. It is not Pilkington nor Fuyao, and it's made in Bulgaria.
It's BMW branded and is the same as the original, but the brand name escapes me at the moment.

I have my own private installers, so it's not a big deal. It doesn't take much space in a storage area.
The manufacturer is Turkish. Not sure where it is made. Too lazy to walk to the garage and look!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #12
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
When the windshield on my CS cracked, I went straight to the dealer. No drama, no issues, right back from when the factory made it.
Attached Images