BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C CAE Shifter 4th Gear Vibrate

03-06-2024, 08:38 PM   #1
FriedChicken
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

M2C CAE Shifter 4th Gear Vibrate

Hello fellow M2 owners. I recently installed a CAE shifter to my 21 M2C. It was installed by a local shop. Since install I've noticed whenever I am in 4th gear, and apply throttle, the shift lever moves slightly forward and vibrates. I don't know if I can explain this correctly. It just wants to move forward (towards neutral) when I am on gas, only slight, not enough force to pop out of gear. Only in 4th gear, any other gears are solid, does not move at all, and no vibration.

I got the car back to the shop, thought it was misalignment. They took it apart, but it back in twice. They couldn't find out what the issue was. They told me that this is probably natural, because the transmission tilts forward slightly when you give it gas, and 4th gear is directly behind the transmission so it will move with it.

I don't know much about mechanics, just want to see if anyone has a similar issue, or can confirm if this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:25 PM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I have an Auto Solutions SSK with the firmest poly shift arm bushings (+ Rogue trans mounts & Turner rear poly bushing) and sometimes in 4th there is a vibration you can feel through the shift knob. Only happens in 4th gear and isn't every time, I haven't been able to identify a consistent cause and only know it's there when I grab the knob to shift. I guess the oem shift linkages/rubber bushings concealed it, it's not changed in the 80K km I've done with the AS SSK so haven't worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:16 PM   #3
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I can 100% guarantee you that it isn't the shifter's fault. I'd recommend taking it to another shop to diagnose or realign the shifter position as a possibility. When I had it in my M2CS, it was absolutely butter in all gears and no visible vibration/NVH.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:38 PM   #4
FriedChicken
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I can 100% guarantee you that it isn't the shifter's fault. I'd recommend taking it to another shop to diagnose or realign the shifter position as a possibility. When I had it in my M2CS, it was absolutely butter in all gears and no visible vibration/NVH.
The shifter is fantastic. Absolutely amazing in all gears except 4th for some reason. Thats why I find it so strange. The shop that installed it swears that its not misaligned. But yea I will get a second opinion from another shop next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:41 PM   #5
FriedChicken
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I have an Auto Solutions SSK with the firmest poly shift arm bushings (+ Rogue trans mounts & Turner rear poly bushing) and sometimes in 4th there is a vibration you can feel through the shift knob. Only happens in 4th gear and isn't every time, I haven't been able to identify a consistent cause and only know it's there when I grab the knob to shift. I guess the oem shift linkages/rubber bushings concealed it, it's not changed in the 80K km I've done with the AS SSK so haven't worried about it.
Hmmm, its kinda similar to mine, just 4th gear. But mine happens everytime.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 06:49 AM   #6
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

It's normal. Diff lift kit and bushing can help.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:34 AM   #7
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have a DCT and also have this vibration (felt through the chassis)in my fourh gear and a little in 5th. Pretty much only when floored from a roll. Doesn’t do it any other time or from higher speeds. My N55 M2 also DCT never had this.