BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Seat Rubbing on Arm rest

08-08-2021, 05:48 AM   #1
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Seat Rubbing on Arm rest

This is what has happened to my driver’s seat its rubbed a hole in the side of the alcantara trim.

I am waiting on BMW getting back to me about it after a dealer had a look at it.

Is this common or has no one seen it yet ?

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance

My 2021 M2C rubs the armrest in the same area and fully expect this same wear to occur if not prevented. Interestingly the same issue exists in my wife's 2021 Mazda CX-5. Seems like multiple different manufactures are having trouble making seats or arm rests small enough apparently to not interfere with seat movement and position. I've literally just put a little piece of tape over the spot to prevent wear for now. Mazda didn't want to do anything to fix the issue and says "its normal" lol. I'd be interested in what BMW's response is when you get one.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Now you know the real reason they removed the arm rest in the CS, lol.
Appreciate 4
.Slug446.00
x233284.00
shaneguags1170.00
      08-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

BMW should definitely replace that under warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 12:16 AM   #5
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Just checked my M2C and it does rub, doesn't have a hole yet but it is noticeable. I will have the dealer check it on my next visit but in the mean time I will put a velcro patch (pile side) to the center console just like the ones attached to the seatbelts buclkes so the seat can slide against the pile side.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 03:49 AM   #6
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

This is the replys to my emails to BMW Group
United Kingdom
Chante Bansie
Customer Support Executive

ME
Hi I have been out cleaning my Bmw M2 competition today and see my driver’s seat has a hole starting where it’s touching the arm rest my car has only covered 5,600 miles how do I go about getting this sorted ?
Pictures attached
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning Mark

Thanks for your email about your BMW M2. I'm sorry to hear about the hole on the driver's seat, I can understand your disappointment.

If your car still has warranty and a technician confirms it’s a manufacturing defect, it will be covered under warranty. Please note the warranty doesn’t cover faults which arise as a result of misuse, negligence, accidents or normal wear and tear.

My best advice would be for you to visit your preferred BMW Centre, a technician is best placed to look into this for you. Please click here to find the contact details for all Centres.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please do get back in touch.

Kind regards

Chanté
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ME
I find the need to email you as I am having no joy with my fault in my M2 Competition reg M2 HUV
It’s 2 years old and 6,000 miles and it has a hole starting on the side of my driver’s seat rubbing on the centre arm rest I have attached pictures.

I took it into Parks bmw Sterling
And they said they looked at it and sent the info to bmw.
BMW said it was wear and tear
How is it even touching unless it’s not made to fit my car or installed wrongly
Surly this shouldn’t happen never mind in such a short time.

Could you please have a look at this and tell me if you would accept this in your car ?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon Mark

Thanks for your response.

I appreciate you’re unhappy with the Centers response, therefore I’ve forwarded your email to the Customer Service team – the team will aim to response within 48 hours. I’ve also provided you with their contact details below.

• Customer Service
BMW (UK) Limited
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue
Farnborough
Hampshire GU14 0FB

customer.service@bmw.co.uk / 0370 5050 160 lines are open from 9am - 6pm Monday to Friday.

In the meantime, if there’s anything else I can help you with, please do get back in touch.

Kind regards

Chanté
-------------------------------------------------------------------
ME
Thanks for the reply but your customer service team said my seat rubbing on my arm rest is a wear and tear item.

It’s my fault my seats rub on the centre arm rest I never designed or built the car surly this is BMWs problem not mine
I find it unacceptable the reply I have been given on this do you have a bmw area manager that can have a look at this ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning Mark

Thanks for your reply - I’m sorry to hear this.

If you wish to escalate this further, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch with the Customer Service team as they’re best placed to advise you further.

I can understand your disappointment, but I hope it clarifies the situation.

Kind regards

Chanté

Hi I love the way you avoid my questions
And pass me back to customer service.

Unfortunately this is not how to treat customers
This is why so many owners complain about
BMW service now.

I have owned BMW M cars for over 30years and this will be my last as the owning one is no longer a joy anymore.

I know this probably won’t matter to BMW
As customer service mean so little anymore it’s all about targets.

I hope when owners start shown this with there feet things change.
Regards
Mark Wardlaw

Good afternoon Mark

Thanks for your reply.

I advised you to get back in touch with Customer Service as they’re best placed to escalate your complaint. I can assure you we value feedback from our customers and we’re always looking for ways to improve our services and products.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards

Chanté

Thank you for sending your query to BMW. You may be selected to participate in a short survey about how I handled your query. I’d be grateful if you could take a moment to complete this. You can opt out of this at any time using the opt-out link within your survey invitation.

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Chante Bansie
Customer Support Executive
BMW Customer Support
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire GU14 0FB

Tel: +44 (0) 800 3256 000
Mail to: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Glad I don't have this issue.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
I bought some moleskin from the drug store and put it on the sides of my console.

The seats are pretty new so I don't have the problem yet.

I also deleted the easy entry feature I had in when I had my stock seats in.
      08-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Does this rubbing occur when opening the center console/armrest, or when moving the seats back and forth, or both?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #10
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep

When the seat move back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I put some of the fuzzy side of Velcro on the sides of the arm rest, much like you see on the seatbelt receptacles.
      09-05-2021, 03:13 AM   #12
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Maybe look at this as a reason to fit the centre tunnel trim from the CS?

The lower cost option is to fit item 2 in this link:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8582

It lacks the armrest of item 3 (found in the M2), so just swap over the trim pieces from your existing tunnel.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
I put some of the fuzzy side of Velcro on the sides of the arm rest, much like you see on the seatbelt receptacles.
Does it seem like this is helping? I'd imagine it's better than rubbing against the plastic of the armrest, but I'd think it'd still mar the alcantara on the seat, in addition to the fact that it removes even more space between the armrest and the seat bolster?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #14
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Quote:
Does it seem like this is helping? I'd imagine it's better than rubbing against the plastic of the armrest, but I'd think it'd still mar the alcantara on the seat, in addition to the fact that it removes even more space between the armrest and the seat bolster?
No problem at all. Use the softer side of the Velcro.
      09-07-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did the same and for the looks it is working so far. I might also loosen all of the seats bolts and have someone push the seat from the passenger’s side towards the driver side then tighten the bolts and maybe gain a mm or two of clearance.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50
      09-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #16
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance

I've been messing with my seat because it does touch and rub the center armrest console. I've found that if you use the "tightest" seat bolster setting to hug your ribcage the tightest it can, my seat no longer rubs the center armrest console. But we're talking like 1/2 mm to 1 mm of clearance. Really not that much clearance. But because I put my kids in the back quite often and it was rubbing every time moving the seat forward, I'll be keeping the bolsters the tightest to prevent the rubbing goin forward. Its not too uncomfortable. I'm 6"4" 185lbs. So I'm fairly thin/fit. The bolster setting adjustment fixed the rubbing for me.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50
      09-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #17
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Slug View Post
I've been messing with my seat because it does touch and rub the center armrest console. I've found that if you use the "tightest" seat bolster setting to hug your ribcage the tightest it can, my seat no longer rubs the center armrest console. But we're talking like 1/2 mm to 1 mm of clearance. Really not that much clearance. But because I put my kids in the back quite often and it was rubbing every time moving the seat forward, I'll be keeping the bolsters the tightest to prevent the rubbing goin forward. Its not too uncomfortable. I'm 6"4" 185lbs. So I'm fairly thin/fit. The bolster setting adjustment fixed the rubbing for me.
Interesting!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Slug View Post
Did that today and for sure is bearly touching the center console, thanks...
Appreciate 1
.Slug446.00