BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Really torn -- to ppf or not?

07-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #45
Uscray
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Yes it really it! Everyone has to decide what is worth it in their own situation. On my m235 I covered the full hood, front bumper and fenders and had a ceramic coating applied. For my upcoming M2C I decided the PPF was more important to me. I am adding more areas of PPF but skipping the ceramic coating. I use the Xpel sealant on the film and add Xpel ceramic boost to the whole car every couple of times that I wash the car.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
chris7197334.00
      07-16-2021, 12:18 AM   #46
bearminimum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 LBB M2C 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2017 VW Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX_B View Post
Great question to ponder..

Similarly (as in similar levels of OCD with cars...), I like the idea as 'insurance' to protecting against small chips, but not sure If I want a semi-permanent film; it does feel & look different to me.

My current E46 (dark blue) is also sandblasted in the front - which has been my entire reasoning for PPF - however I think it's more visible on the E46 as it's a darker paint with lighter primer/undercoating; Also that's after 200k+ miles of commuting.. The M2C is not likely to match that anytime soon.

I'm picking up near San Diego and driving to SF Bay Area.. no PPF. I'll revisit if I survive the ~500 mile drive without a single pinhead size flaw... (Cross fingers)!
I actually did exactly this in January of this year - Picked up from BMW of San Diego and did the drive up to the Bay Area (had placed an order while I still lived in SD). I wrapped the front up with tracwrap for the drive up, however even with that I managed to get a chip on the bumper in this tiny spot that was uncovered.

I took a mix of highway 1/101 though, not the 5 because of break-in period and varying the RPMs and speeds.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-16-2021, 12:35 AM   #47
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

They should just start adding ppf as an option from the factory with different levels of trim
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
VisualEcho6633.50
      07-16-2021, 01:23 AM   #48
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
They should just start adding ppf as an option from the factory with different levels of trim
Porsche already does this. I’m not sure if anyone else does though. However, I still think Porsche sends the car off to have it installed vs having machines install it as part of the manufacturing process.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #49
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
I know, I know...I shouldn't rely on forum advice for something that I should be able to decide on my own. But for this one, I am literally smack dab on the fence so wanted to share my thoughts and get some forum wisdom back for my incoming M2C:
It literally doesn't matter how you drive your car, the M2 should have, at a MINIMUM, the bottom of the rockers, and the entire area behind the door and in front of the rear wheel (where the factory ppf is), and behind the rear wheel covered in PPF. Even in normal driving these areas will get beat up terribly in short order. The factory ppf is junk, and is too small to do the job properly. It should be replaced with a much larger piece before a single mile is driven.

The rest comes down to how you drive the car, and how long you plan to keep it (as far as return on investment). I know for myself, seeing ppf on a used car absolutely increases my chances of buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
I think it still comes down to installation being a pretty specialized process, even with the best plotter, and film.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
      07-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #50
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sorry, no access to Photoshop at work, but you get the idea. These areas get beat up super quickly on the M2, even driving minimum miles on perfect roads, no gravel, low speeds and never seeing rain, so they are the areas that NEED PPF asap if you want to keep the car from looking worn from chips. For behind the wheels you could get mud-flaps instead, but they won't help the bottom of the rocker and the area behind the door.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Foggins1331.50
jdubm2c169.00
      07-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #51
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Both sides of the fence are very valid.

If, as you said, you tend to swap cars every few years, I wouldn't PPF it.

However, if you plan on keeping it, then I wouldn't hesitate to at least do the 'track package'.

Personally, as an unsolicited advice…seeing the direction where BMW is leading, not much in their new lineup interests me. For my use case, the M2C absolutely ticks all of the right boxes, thus I deem the M2C as a keeper - did a full Suntek Ultra PPF within 1 month of purchasing it (purchased it used and had the visible battle scars touched up with Dr Color-chip prior).

After > 1 yr of ownership, I do not see any yellowing, discoloration of any sort of the PPF. Sure, if I go searching/looking super closely at corners, edges, under/around rocker panels etc, I can see the edges, but you'd need to LOOK for them. Everyone who saw and touched my car didn't realize that I have a film…until I disclosed it.

I will keep the F87c for many years, so my decision to PPF was a given. Today, my car looks just as it did the day I bought it…actually, better since I fixed the few chips/scrapes with Dr Color Chip - and sealed those in with the Suntek Ultra.
      07-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #52
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Like I've said elsewhere on this forum, it you have a good, experienced Autoflex installer in your area, that's a MUCH better option. 3 1/2 years in, and it still looks brand new, for 1/2 the cost and as protective as a 3M PPF wrap. Better technology, better product. And you can do clear, or ANY BMW color.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #53
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

You can pay 4K every 5 - 7 years for ppf.

Or repaint your front bumper and hood and blend the rest in every 5-7 years for 4K .
Appreciate 3
Foggins1331.50
T131325.50
      07-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #54
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Like I've said elsewhere on this forum, it you have a good, experienced Autoflex installer in your area, that's a MUCH better option.
AutoFlex does not afford the same level of protection as PPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
You can pay 4K every 5 - 7 years for ppf.

Or repaint your front bumper and hood and blend the rest in every 5-7 years for 4K .
1. You should get 10 years from modern PPF, and with a car driven 5K a year (the industry average for an M2), probably even longer.

2. You can PPF most of the car for $2500.

3. If given a choice, NO ONE, not even you, would buy a car with paintwork vs a car that has none...unless you don't know anything about paintwork.

4. The major areas to be protected by PPF are not the hood, but the bottom of the front bumper, rockers, and the area in front of and behind the rear wheels. You can get those areas done in PPF for $1200 easily.

PPF is like tires guys, it all depends on how you use your car, but I'd say in almost every case, getting PPF on the RIGHT areas is the way to go.
Appreciate 2
Uscray134.00
Foggins1331.50
      07-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #55
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Sorry, no access to Photoshop at work, but you get the idea. These areas get beat up super quickly on the M2, even driving minimum miles on perfect roads, no gravel, low speeds and never seeing rain, so they are the areas that NEED PPF asap if you want to keep the car from looking worn from chips. For behind the wheels you could get mud-flaps instead, but they won't help the bottom of the rocker and the area behind the door.
Beat up by what with no gravel, perfect roads and low speeds?? Rain what?? Would rain damage it even more?
Get off your high and chill…

Drove it for 1400 miles from DC to Dallas on not so perfect roads and 80-100mph and behind trucks. Have one tiny chip on the hood, zero on your highlighted areas.

PPF’d front after arriving to dallas.
Appreciate 2
ROBM2C314.00
      07-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #56
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M2C View Post
Beat up by what with no gravel, perfect roads and low speeds?? Rain what?? Would rain damage it even more?
Get off your high and chill…

Drove it for 1400 miles from DC to Dallas on not so perfect roads and 80-100mph and behind trucks. Have one tiny chip on the hood, zero on your highlighted areas.

PPF’d front after arriving to dallas.
Being in the automotive industry since '88, and an automotive photographer for a living, I can say without a doubt that you got extremely lucky (like lottery lucky). You're probably not as particular as I am either. I'm sure I could find many issues with your car after the drive.

I'm not high, you're just asleep.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #57
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Being in the automotive industry since '88, and an automotive photographer for a living, I can say without a doubt that you got extremely lucky (like lottery lucky). You're probably not as particular as I am either. I'm sure I could find many issues with your car after the drive.

I'm not high, you're just asleep.
OK, fair enough. Let me worry about every single super minor scratch on a highly depreciating asset that depreciated 20% as soon as I put my signature on it, regardless of the scratches....
I guess we approach these things differently.

PS. washed my car last night and dried it off and absolutely no scratches on your highlighted areas.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #58
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
OK, fair enough. Let me worry about every single super minor scratch on a highly depreciating asset that depreciated 20% as soon as I put my signature on it, regardless of the scratches....
I guess we approach these things differently.

PS. washed my car last night and dried it off and absolutely no scratches on your highlighted areas.
You have no idea about the depreciation rate until you sell it, you could hit the top of the curve and be at 5%...a lot of guys doing that now.

If you don't want to protect your depreciating asset as well as you can because you think you live in a perfect world, no problem, but please don't advise others to take the same path. Most of us live on earth, and merely driving a car with this body shape and wide sticky tires on public roads in normal conditions will beat the hell out of the areas I highlighted above, so protecting at least those areas is prudent at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #59
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You have no idea about the depreciation rate until you sell it, you could hit the top of the curve and be at 5%...a lot of guys doing that now.

If you don't want to protect your depreciating asset as well as you can because you think you live in a perfect world, no problem, but please don't advise others to take the same path. Most of us live on earth, and merely driving a car with this body shape and wide sticky tires on public roads in normal conditions will beat the hell out of the areas I highlighted above, so protecting at least those areas is prudent at the very least.
I have the PPF on my car.
On contrary, I am advising people to use common sense. This is not an investment or a super car. It is the low end BMW M car…

And as MANY suggested above, in decades of driving (Canada, US…), they feel no need for PPF.
You, on the other hand may want to put 3 layers to feel “comfortable “.

After all, PPF does not guarantee protection against paint chips and dents…
Appreciate 1
ROBM2C314.00
      07-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #60
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This may be difficult to see - some typical track-day results. Didn't take them specifically for this debate, but it does catch some of those areas that 'don't ever get any scratches'. Admittedly, I think I might have driven over a few pieces of rubber and gravel. Most of it washes right off....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
VisualEcho6633.50
Foggins1331.50
      07-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #61
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
And as MANY suggested above, in decades of driving (Canada, US…), they feel no need for PPF. You, on the other hand may want to put 3 layers to feel “comfortable “.
Not sure who you're quoting here, but I don't remember saying anything about 3 layers, just one layer in the specific places that take the most damage from normal driving.

Quote:
After all, PPF does not guarantee protection against paint chips and dents…
Agreed, but it certainly helps a lot. Even BMW added PPF from the factory in front of the rear wheels.

You go your way bro, I'll go mine, it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #62
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure who you're quoting here, but I don't remember saying anything about 3 layers, just one layer in the specific places that take the most damage from normal driving.

Agreed, but it certainly helps a lot. Even BMW added PPF from the factory in front of the rear wheels.

You go your way bro, I'll go mine, it's all good.
I never told you not to do your way, “bro”.
You suggested you’re helping others with your unique experience….

And also, don’t get things too literally
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
ROBM2C314.00
      07-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #63
DougVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

I'm the opposite of expert or knowledgeable on BMWs or PPF. I'm at the "know nothing" end of the spectrum. But got my first BMW two weeks ago and read all the pros and cons in these fora. I decided to PPF on the front bumper (up to the front edge of the hood) only. Why? In over 40 years of owning cars, that's where 98% of my rock chip damage has been. We'll see if my logic stands the test of time.
Appreciate 3
Foggins1331.50
wjones14650.50
      07-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #64
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
I know, I know...I shouldn't rely on forum advice for something that I should be able to decide on my own. But for this one, I am literally smack dab on the fence so wanted to share my thoughts and get some forum wisdom back for my incoming M2C:

Reasons to get PPF (full front end):
- obvious protection
- warranty through XPEL
- costly, but not outrageous ($1600-$2000 quotes so far)
- good for resale value (I know I shouldn't talk resale value for a car I haven't even purchased yet, but see below)

Reasons to not get PPF
- have owned 20+ cars and have never PPF'd any of them...and yes, many have been nice cars as well (several M's, AMG, Porsche). Fortunately, never had any significant issues with no PPF, and I am VERY OCD about my cars and detailing
- when washing and seeing the paint, I can see a difference in gloss/clarity in PPF paint vs naked paint, and I much prefer the untouched paint
- my car will be HS, I think the dirt in the seams on the front end will drive my crazy
- my work commute has decreased dramatically due to working from home post Covid, to the point where I used to drive 10k miles per year, but that will drop to about 3k-4k per year, plus we have decided to keep my younger son's Jetta while he goes off to college so the M2 will mostly be a weekend only car
- I have car OCD and my average length of ownership is around 18 months

I know this is a beaten to death topic, but hey...thought I would throw it out there anyways
PPF on a new car isn't even a question for me. I roll that in as part of the cost of the car.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #65
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Kind of interesting reading the comments here; didn't realize there was such a division over something so trivial as PPF.

I've owned my M2C for close to 2 years now, and because I PPF'ed nearly the entire car, it looks (not even joking here) more or less like it did on Day 1 of delivery.

Not. A. Single. Scratch/Imperfection/Dent/etc. I've driven over crap roads, gravel, etc......XPEL just continues to amaze me.

I've owned cars in the past before where I never did PPF and 2 years later, it looked like someone took a shotgun to the front end of the car, lol.

It's just awful to me.
Appreciate 3
Uscray134.00
Foggins1331.50
VisualEcho6633.50
      07-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #66
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I did the entire front clip, but not adding the extra protection in front of the rear fenders is a big regret. Sticky tires and that area are not a good combo!🙁
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
VisualEcho6633.50