BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke EL Mid Pipe Issues (M2C)

View Poll Results: What is your exhaust setup & are you experiencing the raspy "tin can" noise issue?
EL mid pipe (non-res) / stock axleback / no issue 3 5.88%
EL mid pipe (non-res) / stock axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 16 31.37%
EL mid pipe (res) / stock axleback / no issue 5 9.80%
EL mid pipe (res) / stock axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 3 5.88%
EL mid pipe (non-res) / aftermarket axleback / no issue 6 11.76%
EL mid pipe (non-res) / aftermarket axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 7 13.73%
EL mid pipe (res) / aftermarket axleback / no issue 4 7.84%
EL mid pipe (res) / aftermarket axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 7 13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

09-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #221
ONLYACTIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: RAPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephGOD View Post
Mike - I appreciate you taking the initiative to get further information directly from AA but this "recommendation" they've provided is completely unacceptable and I would imagine others who've also purchased the EL mid pipe already for their M2C/CS probably feel similar.

How can AA in good conscience sell a product that they know has a huge flaw like this and not inform potential buyers beforehand? If they somehow knew of this issue during development and went forward producing it anyway than that's a pretty shady move in my eyes so I'm really hoping that's not the whole story here and there's more to be told.

ONLYACTIVE care to comment further on Mike's statement as I'm sure all of us have many questions to be asked. I guess the most obvious questions I have are why is this not a problem on the F80/82 platform? What is different about the F87 platform specifically that causes this annoying raspy "tin can" sounding noise? Lastly, why can't this issue be resolved somehow?
I personally take offense when you say AA in good conscience offers a product knowing it has a huge flaw! When BMW offered the F8X with the S55 and the horrible sounding exhaust, then followed up with the M2C with no changes or trying to address the horrible sound exhaust but just continued to produce them, why do people continue to buy them ? Why don't you question BMW on their conscience of continuing to produce thousands more with no exhaust changes. AA in fact addressed that issue and tried to find a fix or at least some improvement to the S55 sound. We were the 1st to design the single MP and others copied it, making it a break through success. We now came up with the EL MP again a break through improvement. Now the overall sound of the EL MP is a remarkable improvement over the Stock in my opinion, as I keep saying sound is subjective. As to why the M2C has a different sound than the F8X, the answer is the length, the pipe itself and the connector pipes are shorter. The stock systems also sound different. However I have personally driven several M2C's with different combinations, res and non res, cat and no cat and all conclusions is the cold start is horrible and there is no fix except to code out cold start or wait till car warms up, only a few minutes. If you absolutely want no rasp or tin sound drive it in efficient mode when driving easy and open valves when driving aggressively, Mike already stated this. At least our EL MP has this option, stock has none in either mode it still sounds bad. I thank and appreciate everyone who purchased our products and are happy with them, for those of you who still aren't satisfied then please try something else and don't let this make your life unhappy. Thank God we live in a country where we have choices, so please be Happy and enjoy your BMW.
Appreciate 3
      09-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #222
R0me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 comp

Yes, tin can noise if you are under 50% throttle under 3 k rpm with catless, but anything else sounds mental.

With the standard exhaust, if you did wot in neutral, and let it go at 3k rpm it would make that god awful s55 sound, it was not pleasant.

Why didn't bmw atleast try to improve it? We will never know, since the new s58 sounds better. Bmw answer is just buy the performance version in Titanium... yes we don't need more of that sound.

Proof with the sounds my car makes. The volume is a louder, and louder than a straightpiped n55.

https://youtu.be/WK3xD922SSo?t=34

https://youtu.be/TD1XoCj549I?t=1420
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #223
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

AA EL mid transformed the way my car sounds !! paired with the MPE its a GAME CHANGER....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #224
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
...As to why the M2C has a different sound than the F8X, the answer is the length, the pipe itself and the connector pipes are shorter. The stock systems also sound different. However I have personally driven several M2C's with different combinations, res and non res, cat and no cat and all conclusions is the cold start is horrible and there is no fix except to code out cold start or wait till car warms up, only a few minutes. If you absolutely want no rasp or tin sound drive it in efficient mode when driving easy and open valves when driving aggressively, Mike already stated this.
The EL midpipe for the M2C is flawed IMO and I think you perhaps just confirmed that for us based on your own personal experience with it above. Does that mean it's a crappy product and nobody should purchase one, not at all, as it actually sounds fantastic outside of those first few minutes during start up and much better overall than stock obviously. However, as one of the first people to have purchased one I would've appreciated this same level of transparency from your company beforehand, during the initial release, because none of this info was shared with the BMW community until a few of us here actually started sharing our own personal experience with it once installed. Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #225
ONLYACTIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: RAPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0me View Post
Yes, tin can noise if you are under 50% throttle under 3 k rpm with catless, but anything else sounds mental.

With the standard exhaust, if you did wot in neutral, and let it go at 3k rpm it would make that god awful s55 sound, it was not pleasant.

Why didn't bmw atleast try to improve it? We will never know, since the new s58 sounds better. Bmw answer is just buy the performance version in Titanium... yes we don't need more of that sound.

Proof with the sounds my car makes. The volume is a louder, and louder than a straightpiped n55.

https://youtu.be/WK3xD922SSo?t=34

https://youtu.be/TD1XoCj549I?t=1420
Your car sounds great !
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #226
Shartibartfast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Has anyone tried any fixes for this yet? Assuming there's no mechanical contact causing the vibration, it could be a bad resonance. Something as simple as strapping a steel bar to one of the pipes using hose clamps could work. Or a real damper like this:

https://www.jaguar-shop.com/Vibratio...-30l-V6-Diesel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 06:59 AM   #227
methkingM2C
Private
Rep

I installed EL midpipe nonres and absolute poopoo. Instantly removed and sold it. Stocks sound way better
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #228
StackedM2C
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

i installed my AA EL 2 days ago, the sound while driving is awesome.

However i keep getting this vibration coming from the shifter area upon cold starts or possibly even warm starts that persists for around 15 seconds.

Its an actual vibration that can be felt under the shifter area (DCT)

Is this the 2k rpm issue everyone is talking about?

Yes, all hangers, bolts, nuts were checked, all tight.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...R6EYk-oIdduslA
04 330CI / 18 440I MPE / 18 M2 N55 / 02 M3 / 20 M2C
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #229
scarygary
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackedM2C View Post

However i keep getting this vibration coming from the shifter area upon cold starts or possibly even warm starts that persists for around 15 seconds.

I've adjusted mine twice now after installation. There is a bracket holding the soft underbody panel, up towards the downpipes. My midpipe was touching it. Took the little rivet out and adjusted bracket.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #230
sai_dee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: crapmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary View Post
I've adjusted mine twice now after installation. There is a bracket holding the soft underbody panel, up towards the downpipes. My midpipe was touching it. Took the little rivet out and adjusted bracket.
This. Same thing happened after my install, but was remedied in 5 minutes on the lift.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #231
scarygary
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_dee View Post
This. Same thing happened after my install, but was remedied in 5 minutes on the lift.
Yeah I got a shop to take the old off and replace, but I wasnt gonna pay them for their time adjusting. I think I got the axleback and connecting pipes set properly, the EL midpipe seems to grow more on the long side when warmed up. It was making the exhaust tips offset from center.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #232
tkl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 LBB M2C

Quote:

I think I have the same issue right now. Is it an infrequent vibration that sounds like a buzzing sound at stationary of under low load as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #233
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkl View Post
Quote:

I think I have the same issue right now. Is it an infrequent vibration that sounds like a buzzing sound at stationary of under low load as well?
Look for clearance on any bolt heads, especially the heat shield bolts. I had one bolt head would hit in exactly a certain RPM. I tightened down the nut a bit and cut the extra length of the bolt off.

Vibration has to be something on something.. check your clearances and fitment. Every case of this I have seen I have solved with fitment changes.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
tkl64.00
      10-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #234
tkl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Look for clearance on any bolt heads, especially the heat shield bolts. I had one bolt head would hit in exactly a certain RPM. I tightened down the nut a bit and cut the extra length of the bolt off.

Vibration has to be something on something.. check your clearances and fitment. Every case of this I have seen I have solved with fitment changes.

I appreciate the response. I will get it checked out by the shop who did my exhaust.

PS:I love your channel and hope to see your car on the road from one M2 Washingtonian to the next!
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #235
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I appreciate the response. I will get it checked out by the shop who did my exhaust.

PS:I love your channel and hope to see your car on the road from one M2 Washingtonian to the next!
Oh thanks man, I really appreciate that! The FUN news is my EL pipe just shipped and will be here in a week! 8) I will be changing from the AA single channel pipe, to the EL soon.

I am sure we will run into each other and some point.. missed all local events this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #236
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Oh thanks man, I really appreciate that! The FUN news is my EL pipe just shipped and will be here in a week! 8) I will be changing from the AA single channel pipe, to the EL soon.

I am sure we will run into each other and some point.. missed all local events this year.
Which version are you getting res or non res?

Which muffler do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #237
tkl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You are going to love it. I have it paired to the akra rear and I have to say it was a major upgrade over stock. Cold start isn't great as previously mentioned in this thread, but IMO the trade off is worth it for spirited driving! Mine is resonated though.

I hope to see you at an event. I only went to the griot's garage M meet in September so far.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #238
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Davy View Post
Which version are you getting ready or non res?

Which muffler do you have?
I have the stock muffler (non M Performance) and have both resonated and non resonated ABs coming to test both. I want the best sound and will return the ones I dont use. 8)
Appreciate 1
Drew41561.50
      10-23-2021, 01:33 AM   #239
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:

I have the stock muffler (non M Performance) and have both resonated and non resonated ABs coming to test both. I want the best sound and will return the ones I dont use. 8)
I thought you could buy the non res or res sections separately from AA or XPH for a few hundred?

I currently have the AA EL res matched to a Remus Sport, but am contemplating going that route.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 06:52 AM   #240
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Have just trawled through this entire thread as I have an issue with my setup

AA EL (non res) have used it both with stock muffler and a Remus Race.

Both set ups sound RIDICULOUS on cold start, both sound almost identical with the Remus being noticeably louder. They both rattle like **** on cold start but once warmed up this noise is no longer present.

I have to say either set up sounds amazing on the move and is by far the best sounding S55 I’ve heard, I also detest the ball sack/cow udder OEM muffler so an aftermarket solution had to be found.

The Remus is too loud for me and I am trying an Eisenmann next and hoping it’s more akin to the OEM muffler in volume (at least on cold start)

All of this aside (I love the AA EL sound) my issue is with clearance as I get rubbing against the heatshield, it’s SO tight under there and my mechanic can’t see anyway of adjusting any of this.

I get a rubbing sound at low rpm on idle and at low revs when pulling away from a standstill as well as cornering (at low rpms), all refinement is gone with this noise and it’s really irritating me now.

I did read somewhere that AA mentioned something about a floating flange needing to be tightened first (left pipe I believe) but I can’t see how that would make any difference?

We are fitting the Eisenmann tomorrow and are removing and refitting the AA EL again and will try the left pipe with FF first to see if that helps.

I have a couple of start up videos I will upload for the OEM/AA EL and the Remus Race/AA EL if anyone is interested. Will of course take one with the Eisenmann too (I’m hoping the latter is the sweet spot in both volume and looks!)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:14 AM   #241
scarygary
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino355 View Post

Both set ups sound RIDICULOUS on cold start, both sound almost identical with the Remus being noticeably louder. They both rattle like **** on cold start but once warmed up this noise is no longer present.

I have to say either set up sounds amazing on the move and is by far the best sounding S55 I’ve heard, I also detest the ball sack/cow udder OEM muffler so an aftermarket solution had to be found.

The Remus is too loud for me and I am trying an Eisenmann next and hoping it’s more akin to the OEM muffler in volume (at least on cold start)

All of this aside (I love the AA EL sound) my issue is with clearance as I get rubbing against the heatshield, it’s SO tight under there and my mechanic can’t see anyway of adjusting any of this.

I get a rubbing sound at low rpm on idle and at low revs when pulling away from a standstill as well as cornering (at low rpms), all refinement is gone with this noise and it’s really irritating me now.

I did read somewhere that AA mentioned something about a floating flange needing to be tightened first (left pipe I believe) but I can’t see how that would make any difference?

We are fitting the Eisenmann tomorrow and are removing and refitting the AA EL again and will try the left pipe with FF first to see if that helps.

I have a couple of start up videos I will upload for the OEM/AA EL and the Remus Race/AA EL if anyone is interested. Will of course take one with the Eisenmann too (I’m hoping the latter is the sweet spot in both volume and looks!)
There is a bracket for the underbody panel probably 1-2 feet from downpipe flange. Thats likely the turning rattle I think
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #242
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino355 View Post

There is a bracket for the underbody panel probably 1-2 feet from downpipe flange. Thats likely the turning rattle I think
Yes we found it and that was the culprit.

Refinement is back, no more rubbing!

Oh, and the Eisenmann is phenomenal. Cold start is wayyy more toned down with only the initial start up bark being loud for a split second.

The Eisenmann is great, super quiet with valves closed and car sounds like a normal 6cyl BMW. With valves open it only really makes any noise when you are under load and then it barks loud. Great combination with the AA EL. Very pleased.

The only negative is the tail pipes sit relatively low but I can live with that when the exhaust sounds this good.