BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Someone tried to drill through my door

06-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
jupt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Angry Someone tried to drill through my door

Last week our movers packed our belongings to move from ATL to FL. I packed a few non valuable items in my M2 Comp that I didn't want to go in the moving truck. We spent 1 night with a family friend before droving off in the morning.

That morning is when I saw the damage on my passenger door. I called the non emergency number to get a police report for a possible insurance claim. I still have no idea how much it will cost to repair. The officer was an ass. His first comment was, "wow, you guys just call for anything these days". I kept my composure and just gave him what he needed to file the report.

Now I'm in Florida and I don't know what to do. Should I report it to my insurance, should I first get a quote to fix or replace the door? Where should I take it (dealer, collision center)? I'm just upset, have many other things going on in my personal life and I need some advice. Having my passenger door not look like this would make me feel so much better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You did well.

First call is to the police.

Second call is to your insurance company.
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I'd file a comprehensive claim as it shouldn't affect your premiums. Also, as a retired cop I've never seen that tactic to break in. Probably done by an amateur or vandal. Sorry and surprised cop was a dick. We ALL know insurance companies require police report numbers and damage to property is VERY routine.

He was probably pissed you left ANY property inside which draws attention. I know you said it was non-valuables but lots of people do that to conceal valuable stuff like guns and laptops. Criminals know that and it's probably why you were targeted. Anyway, he missed an opportunity to educate cause you interrupted his donut break. (Yes, I can say that because I'm retired and it's probably true )
Appreciate 1
jupt4.00
      06-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

You sure that's a drill and not a bullet hole?
      06-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Wow, what a dodgy area to have to live.
      06-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nut View Post
Ya, was gunna say. Looks like maybe a high power air rifle.
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
…or it was hit with something. Drilling doesn't make sense. Any metal shavings on the ground?

Wouldn't it be much easier and faster to just smash, grab, and run? Even if it's noisy. They'd be gone in seconds.

On a side note, I've had some pretty serious dents and vandalism while my car was parked in "safe" areas.

Edit: Sorry OP. Luckily it looks pretty minor.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
…or it was hit with something. Drilling doesn't make sense. Any metal shavings on the ground?

Wouldn't it be much easier and faster to just smash, grab, and run? Even if it's noisy. They'd be gone in seconds.

On a side note, I've had some pretty serious dents and vandalism while my car was parked in "safe" areas.

Like a Phillips head screwdriver perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:36 PM   #9
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

^ I'll buy it. Plus, a drill wouldn't cause all the damage around the hole (dent and paint damage.)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #10
jupt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
I'd file a comprehensive claim as it shouldn't affect your premiums. Also, as a retired cop I've never seen that tactic to break in. Probably done by an amateur or vandal. Sorry and surprised cop was a dick. We ALL know insurance companies require police report numbers and damage to property is VERY routine.

He was probably pissed you left ANY property inside which draws attention. I know you said it was non-valuables but lots of people do that to conceal valuable stuff like guns and laptops. Criminals know that and it's probably why you were targeted. Anyway, he missed an opportunity to educate cause you interrupted his donut break. (Yes, I can say that because I'm retired and it's probably true )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post

Thanks for commenting, just great to hear from someone in law enforcement experience that I wasn't in the wrong for trying to get an official report. Agree on keeping anything in the car, just figure, "one night, what's the worst that can happen". Lesson learned.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #11
jupt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
You did well.

First call is to the police.

Second call is to your insurance company.
I'm assuming insurance company will suggest where to get it fixed?

Someone told me I would have issues with paint matching the door with the rest of the car. Is this true?

Should I just take it to the dealer and get an OEM door then submit it to the insurance?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
jupt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Like a Phillips head screwdriver perhaps.
Possibly, I can't tell the difference but there was lights metal shavings around the hole. I would have assumed a bullet would have done more damage. IDK.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupt View Post

Someone told me I would have issues with paint matching the door with the rest of the car. Is this true?

Should I just take it to the dealer and get an OEM door then submit it to the insurance?
1. I'd ask around locally to see who does the best work and tell your insurance company that you will stand for nothing less than to have the work done there.

2. There will be no issue whatsoever. The way it works is, the door has primer, then paint, then clear. They will fix the hole, sand the CLEAR on the whole door, spot the color in on where the hole was, fade it out (easy), then reclear the entire door. On something this small you will NEVER be able to tell. The only thing is that they have to sand not only the door, but all the way around all the edges, as that's where clear pulls away from (if it's done by a bad shop).

3. Your insurance company will NOT pay for an entire door, it's not something you need. What they might pay for is a door SKIN, and you DO NOT want that. The door skin will NOT come painted, so that means you'd have to install the entire skin, get the whole thing painted, and then feather the color onto the rear quarter, skirt, and front fender to match, having to clear all of them!!!

Dude, listen to me, this is an EASY fix for even a terrible bodyshop. Find the best one, make sure to tell them that you're particular about the edges, and it'll look good as new in no time.

NOTE: Not that I'm some kind of expert, but my brother has done bodywork for 25+ years, and guess who has been his assistant when he needs help? You guessed it.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #14
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Oh, one more thing. Make sure to wait at least 2 weeks for the paint to out-gas before adding new PPF. Don't let anyone tell you different. If you can stand it, wait a month.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50
      06-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #15
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
1. I'd ask around locally to see who does the best work and tell your insurance company that you will stand for nothing less than to have the work done there.

2. There will be no issue whatsoever. The way it works is, the door has primer, then paint, then clear. They will fix the hole, sand the CLEAR on the whole door, spot the color in on where the hole was, fade it out (easy), then reclear the entire door. On something this small you will NEVER be able to tell. The only thing is that they have to sand not only the door, but all the way around all the edges, as that's where clear pulls away from (if it's done by a bad shop).

3. Your insurance company will NOT pay for an entire door, it's not something you need. What they might pay for is a door SKIN, and you DO NOT want that. The door skin will NOT come painted, so that means you'd have to install the entire skin, get the whole thing painted, and then feather the color onto the rear quarter, skirt, and front fender to match, having to clear all of them!!!

Dude, listen to me, this is an EASY fix for even a terrible bodyshop. Find the best one, make sure to tell them that you're particular about the edges, and it'll look good as new in no time.

NOTE: Not that I'm some kind of expert, but my brother has done bodywork for 25+ years, and guess who has been his assistant when he needs help? You guessed it.
All good advice. Make sure the repairer removes all trim from the door to do the work: door handle, belt molding. That ensures access for prepping for paint and leaving no tape lines.

Pretty straight forward repair and a competent shop will have no problems.

I would think this is damage from a projectile like air rifle or similar. Not that is really matters unless you happen to see someone walking down the street with one.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      06-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #16
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
.177 I bet
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #17
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Wow, I guess they let any idiot become a police officer these days.

Sorry to hear about the ordeal.
Good thing is it'll be an easy fix at a good body shop.
Appreciate 1
jupt4.00
      07-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #18
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Yes definitely an air rifle hole. Had my Honda shot in college many years ago and it looked like this. Really sorry to see🤬
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:54 PM   #19
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:

For being a body man's assistant, you should know BMW does not offer or make outer panels , or "skins" , only shells (entire door)
      01-18-2022, 07:37 AM   #20
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Quote:
I would have assumed a bullet would have done more damage. IDK.
Depends on distance traveled. Your car may not have been the intended target.
      11-02-2022, 02:16 PM   #21
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

As someone who is also moving this week and spending a night with a family friend this gives me anxiety....