BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California > Registering a new car purchased out of state

06-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Registering a new car purchased out of state

Hey all,

I purchased a new M2 from out of state and the dealer is being very unhelpful with the process and I just found out that they have not processed anything to the DMV after a whole month of selling me the car. Anybody else purchased from out of state know how the process of registering the car is?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/h...vehicle-htvr9/

your also going to need SMOG certification. If you're a AAA member they have title and registration services available as well and can ask them for assistance.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

You have 21 days to register in CA post purchase, so you may get hit with a heavy fee from the DMV. They go by purchase date and not when it enters the state, so be sure to tell them your situation and they will have you fill out a form...I forget what it was called, but it was a "statement of facts" and they should help you negate that late reg fee.

I was hit with another $1600 to reg my CS in CA because it took a month to get the original Ohio title, but after I explained to them that they were waiting on the title to send to me before registering, they went ahead and reversed the fee while I was there. whew!

SMOG can be a pain in the butt, my vehicle wasn't in "ready state" so I had to go in twice and put in around 200 miles before it cleared up.

Hopefully that dealership clears up the reg issues and gets you squared away.

Appreciate 1
      06-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2023 Model 3  [0.00]
2014 991.1 GT3  [0.00]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
Hey all,

I purchased a new M2 from out of state and the dealer is being very unhelpful with the process and I just found out that they have not processed anything to the DMV after a whole month of selling me the car. Anybody else purchased from out of state know how the process of registering the car is?
The dealer's business or financial manager is suppose to take care all DMV registration and submit it to a 3rd party Vendor that will process the DMV registration.

Bought my CS in Connecticut and a week after i received my car, i had to contact their Business Manager directly asking next steps. The hand written instruction that they gave for my overnight document signing was very vague. As of today, DMV registration is still being process and I actually just sent another email asking to get it expedited since it's been 1.5 months. This dealer apparently is using Beacon Auto Tag 3rd party vendor.

BMW dealers outside of CA doesn't seem to be following up/contacting the new owner and telling them next steps. They're quick af and take your money and after that, it's dead silent. Their customer satisfaction falls flat.

On a side note > i didn't have this problem with an out of state Porsche dealer. They were very communicative.

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
efi.andy
Rep
Drives: M2C

I filled out the REG343 APPLICATION FOR TITLE OR REGISTRATION from the CA DMV.

When turning in the form I needed to show them a CA Smog Certificate and some type of Vehicle Inspection form that you get once the DMV verifies your VIN number.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Yes, you'll need smog check, VIN verification, REG343 with bill of sale/title then pay taxes/registration. I bought the CS from BMW of South Austin (Hendrick) and was a breeze, they sent me everything overnight and I did the registration with a recommended DMV third party and payed them a fee and took me less than an hour. The longest part was wiring money for purchase which took 3 days.

What I found interesting was the auto insurance part (AAA) wouldn't cover the car until it was registered with CA DMV. I had to rely on shipper 2M coverage but car was free of damage on a fully covered carrier.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the responses, but this was from months ago and I've since gotten everything registered with the DMV smoothly without any fees.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
MarlboroM2C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
  [10.00]
2021 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, but this was from months ago and I've since gotten everything registered with the DMV smoothly without any fees.
Quote:
i still await BMW Rockville to get my M2C registered. Completed sale end of June. Still waiting despite several calls and assurances. no record in NJ my state of registration. Second issue with two cars now I purchased through them. Have vanity plates. Temps expire next week. argggggh!
      08-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroM2C View Post
i still await BMW Rockville to get my M2C registered. Completed sale end of June. Still waiting despite several calls and assurances. no record in NJ my state of registration. Second issue with two cars now I purchased through them. Have vanity plates. Temps expire next week. argggggh!
I think you need to find a new dealership next time!
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 10:30 PM   #10
MarlboroM2C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
  [10.00]
2021 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysavage View Post
congrats on the car, your gonna have so much fun with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysavage View Post
congrats on the car, your gonna have so much fun with it.
Following up, BMW Rockville completed all my paperwork for interstate sale very well. Included plate transfer, Well worth the wait although, it did take about 2 months to get my plates activated, no fault of their own.

I want to be sure to tell readers, that this dealership not only got me a great price on my 6spd BSM, but made the process of purchase long distance a relatively smooth operation. They arranged PCD for me, and I only made a single trip there to sign for PCD.