BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF on headlights

04-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
zatchmo
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 328xi

PPF on headlights

Who does it? Any ill effects? I had ppf on my 14 335 headlights and the UV coating on the headlights cracked. So for those that have it, what brand and how long? My 10 yr, 120k mile 328 headlights are looking pretty tough, so I'd like to try and save the M2 if possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
President Evil
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xDrive

I have Xpel on my front including headlights, only been like 3 months but everything is fine I don't see why they would crack
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
zatchmo
Private
Rep

I talked to a shop who does a lot of high end work. Apparently Porsche's do it as well. It's a reaction between the UV coating and the adhesive. He said he's never had a problem with Xpel and BMW though. So it is a thing, but apparently not with that combo.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I've installed PPF on Thousands of headlights. I can assure you it's fare better to wrap the lights and run the possible risk of delaminating it on removal 5+ years down the line. Rather than having chips in expensive headlights. Worst case you color sand and polish that coating off down the line if there's an issue.
Like I said, the chances of having an issue on any car besides Porsche is super super slim.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
I've installed PPF on Thousands of headlights. I can assure you it's fare better to wrap the lights and run the possible risk of delaminating it on removal 5+ years down the line. Rather than having chips in expensive headlights. Worst case you color sand and polish that coating off down the line if there's an issue.
Like I said, the chances of having an issue on any car besides Porsche is super super slim.
Not that I want to disagree with you, but the type of UV coating that is sprayed/heated on at the factory isn't something you can easily replace. Shops try to do that every day and fail. And without that coating, you're looking at yellowing/clouding within 6 months, so basically they're trashed.

It might be worth the risk to PPF the headlight assemblies if he drives a lot of highway miles where it's almost certain that he's going to have issues with them otherwise, but if he's an in-town driver, I would personally recommend leaving them as-is.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
zatchmo
Private
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. Given the amount of time I spend on the highways, film on the headlights is probably the right move. It seems that issue isn't widespread at least anymore.

How I long for the E46 days with relatively inexpensive headlight lens replacements again.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I don't know why I even comment on these PPF posts. I guess the fact I've been installing it for 14 years means nothing. Lol.

I'm telling you with 1000% certainty there will not be an issue. I'd be happy to go rip the PPF off my m2's lights right now just to prove the point.

OP- you're fine. PPF your lights. They will be fine. In 14 years of doing PPF I've only had issues on Porsche. And 95% of Porsche owners still PPF the lights.

Worst case down the road if you have to remove the film and it messes up the coating. You sand the coating off, polish out the lights and then re apply PPF.
Appreciate 5
      05-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I already had a few tiny chips on the headlights in just 12k miles. I think headlight PPF is a must. The paint can be repainted but these headlights are expensive and headlight PPF is cheap.

I actually did it myself and it looks pretty amazing. I used headlight armor. Now I have failed at this so many times that I feel like I am getting good at it, there is a video on youtube of them installing on an M2 and with their kit is pretty easy. I do not recommend the Lamin-X kit, it is nearly impossible to install because it does not have a cut for the top of the headlight (I am sure a pro could install that but not a normal person that barely deals with PPF).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I used PPF on my headlights to protect them from chips and to hopefully avoid them getting cloudy in the future. Never had a problem with the latter until the X5, thinking it's related to the windshield washer fluid, which should no longer be an issue with LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Has anyone put PPF on non-new headlights? My M2 has 35k on it and the headlights have that “dusty” look to them when they’re on, but no yellowing- curious if slapping some film on them will fill in some of the microscopic chips. I do quite a bit of highway driving so this will only continue to worsen and film makes sense, but debating whether I really need to sand them down first.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:22 AM   #11
zatchmo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Has anyone put PPF on non-new headlights? My M2 has 35k on it and the headlights have that “dusty” look to them when they’re on, but no yellowing- curious if slapping some film on them will fill in some of the microscopic chips. I do quite a bit of highway driving so this will only continue to worsen and film makes sense, but debating whether I really need to sand them down first.
The 335 I referenced early on had the PPF done around 18k. I had some marks and the film covered them. I'd ask your installer. If they don't know, find a new installer. I'd avoid sanding through that layer of UV protection before 100k miles if at all possible.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      10-21-2023, 08:25 AM   #12
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

I want to DIY PPF the car. Any tip on the upper portion where it’s almost quite a fold on top. Do I stretch the whole film to the sides first, then pull & stretch the top part over? Finally cut with a sharp knife around the lens?
Appreciate 0