BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rear turn indicator failure

View Poll Results: Have your M2C rear indicator units failed?
Yes 136 63.85%
No 77 36.15%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

01-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #243
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I've had this issue with my right rear turn signal on and off for the past year, but recently it has been occurring more often. I was going to use bimmercode to disable the warm check, but it sounds like that is not the solution? Is replacement by the dealership the only option?

This is on a '19 M2C.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #244
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve457 View Post
I've had this issue with my right rear turn signal on and off for the past year, but recently it has been occurring more often. I was going to use bimmercode to disable the warm check, but it sounds like that is not the solution? Is replacement by the dealership the only option?

This is on a '19 M2C.
Maybe. But they'll update the car as part of the fix. So if you're tuned it will screw that.

Not worth it for me. I'm getting used newer darkline tailights off ebay.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:54 PM   #245
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

Quote:

This is on a '19 M2C.
In my experience, disabling the check does exactly just that. It will still happen, you just wont get the notification, mine used to dim once in a while then be okay for the rest of the day.
I've had this problem for about a 2 years but recently it has gotten more frequent so took it to the dealership and they replaced the tail light assembly. My DME was not updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:26 PM   #246
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
I had both tail lights fast blink a few times over the last year and let the dealer know when I took it in for an oil change. They hooked it up and read that the left had errored 3 times and the right 4 times so they replaced both tail lights. Happy I didn’t have to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #247
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nice, thanks all. I've setup an appointment for next week to take the car in. I'm not tuned so not worried if they do end up updating the car either, as I plan to keep the car stock anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:49 PM   #248
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyescopetas View Post
I also have the dimming issue in my rear left indicator. It’s an M2 LCI. Malfunction message in the dash and fast blinking as well.

Video attached with hazard lights (no fast blinking): https://youtube.com/shorts/maKKmFlPrxg?feature=share

After carefully reading this long thread I will first clean conector contacts and inspect ground wiring.
I don’t think my issue is related to warm monitoring so I don’t plan to code this out.

I will ultimately replace the whole unit if cleaning makes no improvement. The dimmed activation seems an issue with the LED board electronics itself.
Did cleaning fix it for you? I'm still under warranty so I'd have them take care of it, but out of warranty I would definitely be curious to tear one apart and look for the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:44 AM   #249
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I first thought cleaning / greasing contacts made it ok for a while (as there was often water in/around the connector body). But now I reliase it was the physical action of removing the light that "fixes" the problem temporarily.

Giving the still-fitted faulty tail light a "whack" with the palm of my hand sorts it in the same way, could be for weeks or just a day. Being parked up outside in cold / damp weather exacerbates it.

So it is some electro/mechanical problem inside the light fitting.

I'm out of warranty, I'll probaly upgrade to new facelift smoked rear lights (which I don't have) then I'll break open one of the old lights and have a look.

Last edited by doughboy; 01-26-2022 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #250
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

My car’s out of warranty in March, so I mentioned this problem to the dealer last time I took it in. They replaced both tail lights under warranty but I suspect the problem will eventually return.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #251
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Had my right taillight replaced on Monday. Second time I had the problem. First time they just played with the wiring. This time the wiring and connectors looked good.

Interesting that they were able to pull 106 errors.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #252
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I ended up cancelling my dealer appointment as the issue stopped happening, and I didn't want to leave my car with them for an entire day as they try but fail to reproduce the problem. I've had the problem intermittently for over a year now, so I know it will come back eventually. I also have noticed that the problem seems to occur more often when the weather is very cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #253
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Agree cold weather makes it worse.

They shouldn't need to reproduce the fault. Previous fails should be logged as faults in the REM module.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #254
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
They shouldn't need to reproduce the fault. Previous fails should be logged as faults in the REM module.
Oh, I did not know that! In that case, I'll probably make another appointment with the dealer while I'm still under warranty. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #255
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Oh, I did not know that! In that case, I'll probably make another appointment with the dealer while I'm still under warranty. Thanks for the info!
If you read my post my M2 logged 106 errors. They definitely can read the error codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 02:32 PM   #256
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

So what’s the bottom line with this?

I’ve had my tail light replaced and the problem immediately came right back.

The dealership wants the car back to escalate. They said it could take weeks working through BMW to trace the problem since they may end up sending someone to inspect the problem. Wiring harness was discussed.

They were receptive to the idea of me coding the error out (off the record) but the car is under warranty and ultimately recommended going through the process.

Is this even a fixable problem otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #257
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Try hitting the light with your hand when it fails. Works every time with mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #258
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Try hitting the light with your hand when it fails. Works every time with mine.
That confuses me, since I replaced the taillight and the problem came back. That would suggest the issue is not intrinsic to the taillight, so why does hitting it help? Maybe the connector is faulty? I haven’t read every single post on this thread, so I’m sure this has been covered.

I’d hate to leave my car (potentially) for weeks for no good reason - feeling a little pessimistic about that.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #259
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
That confuses me, since I replaced the taillight and the problem came back. That would suggest the issue is not intrinsic to the taillight, so why does hitting it help? Maybe the connector is faulty? I haven’t read every single post on this thread, so I’m sure this has been covered.

I’d hate to leave my car (potentially) for weeks for no good reason - feeling a little pessimistic about that.
Maybe a second faulty light.

Try it and see. Next time the turn signal stops working give it a whack.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:32 AM   #260
ThatBlueM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
So what’s the bottom line with this?

I’ve had my tail light replaced and the problem immediately came right back.

The dealership wants the car back to escalate. They said it could take weeks working through BMW to trace the problem since they may end up sending someone to inspect the problem. Wiring harness was discussed.

They were receptive to the idea of me coding the error out (off the record) but the car is under warranty and ultimately recommended going through the process.

Is this even a fixable problem otherwise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBlueM2 View Post
I've coded this out I think...sometime in July (2021), and haven't had the problem since.
^ still good, May 2022.
      05-23-2022, 06:39 AM   #261
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I coded mine out too, but then you lose all failure indication (rapid flash / bong etc).

At first I thought great fixed it but then had drivers honking and giving me the finger when I changed lanes... turns out indicator not working but I didn't know.

So I coded it back in...

Now when it bongs I just get out and hit the light, works for a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:26 AM   #262
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I coded mine out too, but then you lose all failure indication (rapid flash / bong etc).

At first I thought great fixed it but then had drivers honking and giving me the finger when I changed lanes... turns out indicator not working but I didn't know.

So I coded it back in...

Now when it bongs I just get out and hit the light, works for a week or so.
Happened this morning. Slapped the light. No dice.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #263
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I think there's likely more that one failure mode at play here.

Some have a physical lamp fault, maybe internal. Some have connector / damp issues.

Some seem to have only "fake" faults due to REM config for light controller. Some maybe wiring / ground issues...

Some maybe combinations of all!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 09:36 AM   #264
RyGuyM2C
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Wow...this took me quite a while to read through.

First of all - thank you to Poochie, for even trying to help.

It's really appreciated.

Secondly - I have a 2018 F87C, This issue occurred 3/4 weeks ago for the first time.

Took it straight to the dealer, they only replaced one side (the driver side rear light cluster).

The following day I went out for a drive, the other side failed.

It only flickered rapidly / appeared on the iDrive once. Since then, I drove the car perhaps 5/6 times and it never came back.

I am going to be visiting the dealership again next week on Friday as they have agreed (reluctantly) to replace the other side FOC.

What a nightmare 😅

To anyone who is truly interested in learning about this issue I (politely) advise you to

In its entirety... so many people have asked the same question over and over and it has been (patiently) explained.

Also - glad that guy has since been banned. Some of the comments had me chuckling but nonetheless, it was completely deplorable behaviour.

Last edited by RyGuyM2C; 08-03-2023 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Appreciate 0