BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

03-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #485
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
Was hoping to make this in my '17 Mustang GT Performance Pack.
I pick up my M2C ZED today and can't break it in, in time for the event.
Congratulations on your M2C! This had happened to me—I had a little more than a week to put 1200 miles on the car and get it serviced. I think I put 1100 miles on the car in about 7 or 8 days. By the time COTA came around, I didn’t want to be in the car 😅.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
Great run! Would have liked to see the corner speeds.

What tire were you running?
Thanks 👏🏻! I haven’t been able to get that Solo DL setup properly so all I got was lap times. I agree the corner speeds would’ve been nice to see along with the line trace.

I’m running stock sized (245/265) Goodyear Supercar 3s. These are the 220 treadwear items, not the faster Rs. I am pretty happy with them thus far, but I have little to compare them to.
Appreciate 2
Rumbloki176.00
243Racing1447.50
      03-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #486
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Anybody been out to NCM (National Corvette Museum)? We're running up there this weekend
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #487
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Registered for COTA with Chin next month—think this will be my last weekend out there until the fall. Some friends were discussing venturing out to other tracks so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) MSR Cresson, ECR, and H2R.

For COTA w/Chin, will anyone else be out there? I'd love to meet some more M2 drivers to learn from. I'm also hoping that sessions won't be as crowded and maybe I can experiment with everything off—I took to left-foot braking pretty easily last weekend and feel this is the next step in understanding the car/maybe getting faster. I want to pull the most out of this 245/265 stock calipers setup as I can before I move to APs and 18s.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      03-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #488
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Registered for COTA with Chin next month—think this will be my last weekend out there until the fall. Some friends were discussing venturing out to other tracks so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) MSR Cresson, ECR, and H2R.

For COTA w/Chin, will anyone else be out there? I'd love to meet some more M2 drivers to learn from. I'm also hoping that sessions won't be as crowded and maybe I can experiment with everything off—I took to left-foot braking pretty easily last weekend and feel this is the next step in understanding the car/maybe getting faster. I want to pull the most out of this 245/265 stock calipers setup as I can before I move to APs and 18s.
Cresson is fun - I did a 3 day event with Edge Addicts out there when I first started tracking a couple of years ago that was a blast. Did the 1.3 the first day, 1.7 the next, and then then whole track the last. Could also move up or down a run group any time you wanted so got an insane amount of track time that weekend. Would definitely recommend trying to find something like this if y'all go.

ECR - haven't been yet but have heard it is a very fun track.

H2R - now that it has been repaved it is a pretty fun track - before it was so bumpy that it had reached the point of being undriveable. It's fairly short at 1.7 miles but still pretty fun. I'm a member out there and we try to get out there during the week to get our pre race testing in. During the week you might have a couple of miatas to deal with but other than that typically have the track to yourself.

Welcome to join us on a guest pass whenever we go out there. Once we have the AP bbk installed and everything all buttoned up on CrashFL 's car here in the next couple of days we're going to finally get him out there to get some laps in and test out those new binders.
Appreciate 3
243Racing1447.50
CrashFL137.50
M1500Z423.00
      03-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #489
OG Shark
Rep

Wasn't in my M2 but had an absolute blast out at Road Atlanta this weekend. First time there, first time racing with Trans Am, epic weekend. Road Atlanta is pure joy.

Appreciate 9
bentom2335.50
243Racing1447.50
CrashFL137.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
DrKevM52269.00
mcvaughan704.00
M1500Z423.00
Megator517.50
      03-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #490
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
@OG Shark What hood is that? Couldn't find it on the build thread. Thx
      03-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #491
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Not sure if you noticed, but that's not his M2
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
DRLane3985.50
      03-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #492
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Ha its all good DRLane is among the E9x M3 brethren

It’s from Flossman - got it when I picked up their fenders. Was not impressed with the quality of either though - would not recommend
Appreciate 2
DRLane3985.50
243Racing1447.50
      03-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #493
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Ha its all good DRLane is among the E9x M3 brethren

It's from Flossman - got it when I picked up their fenders. Was not impressed with the quality of either though - would not recommend
Yeah, the addiction is strong. When e9x track section goes dormant I'm creeping into all the other track sections.

Appreciate that feedback. Similar to his other work I'm guessing it's pretty light?
      03-31-2021, 08:16 AM   #494
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the addiction is strong. When e9x track section goes dormant I'm creeping into all the other track sections.

Appreciate that feedback. Similar to his other work I'm guessing it's pretty light?
Yeah their stuff is definitely light - I never weighed them compared to the oem pieces though so not sure what the delta is between them. I will try to weigh them soon - but would definitely factor in some money to have them repaired if you decide to go with their stuff. They literally just threw the stuff in a box with zero protection.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3985.50
      04-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #495
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cresson is fun - I did a 3 day event with Edge Addicts out there when I first started tracking a couple of years ago that was a blast. Did the 1.3 the first day, 1.7 the next, and then then whole track the last. Could also move up or down a run group any time you wanted so got an insane amount of track time that weekend. Would definitely recommend trying to find something like this if y'all go.

ECR - haven't been yet but have heard it is a very fun track.

H2R - now that it has been repaved it is a pretty fun track - before it was so bumpy that it had reached the point of being undriveable. It's fairly short at 1.7 miles but still pretty fun. I'm a member out there and we try to get out there during the week to get our pre race testing in. During the week you might have a couple of miatas to deal with but other than that typically have the track to yourself.

Welcome to join us on a guest pass whenever we go out there. Once we have the AP bbk installed and everything all buttoned up on CrashFL 's car here in the next couple of days we're going to finally get him out there to get some laps in and test out those new binders.
I appreciate that offer 🙌🏻 (and the tips as well). Let me know when that may be and I'll see if it would work. It's a relatively short drive for me. If not, I've got some other connections that could lead to H2R track-time—we'll see.

I haven't been on ECR since I did a couple sprint races with CMRA (motorbike) years ago—neat track and probably more enjoyable in a car. I've heard it's been repaved so hopefully some of the bumps and all of the weepers are gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #496
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate that offer 🙌🏻 (and the tips as well). Let me know when that may be and I'll see if it would work. It's a relatively short drive for me. If not, I've got some other connections that could lead to H2R track-time—we'll see.

I haven't been on ECR since I did a couple sprint races with CMRA (motorbike) years ago—neat track and probably more enjoyable in a car. I've heard it's been repaved so hopefully some of the bumps and all of the weepers are gone.
We are planning on heading out there towards the end of next week - will let you know
Appreciate 1
M1500Z423.00
      04-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #497
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Do you guys have any hookups for used slicks?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #498
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on power and air while you’re at the track (and not in a garage)? A friend had an acceptable little jump box/inflator with USB ports on it that was relatively handy. It was slightly clunky but did the job, and I’d like to be able to air back up at the end of the day. I am almost thinking separate power box and 110v inflator may be even better, but I am always big on minimalism and packing light.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:35 AM   #499
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on power and air while you’re at the track (and not in a garage)? A friend had an acceptable little jump box/inflator with USB ports on it that was relatively handy. It was slightly clunky but did the job, and I’d like to be able to air back up at the end of the day. I am almost thinking separate power box and 110v inflator may be even better, but I am always big on minimalism and packing light.
I have used the tire inflator/patch thingy that comes with the car. You dont need to put the bottle of goo in to make it chuche and pump the tires.

Or buy something like this this

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Portab...s%2C234&sr=8-3

Takes a little while (5 min) and you need to plug over the lead but its cheap and compact.

Alternatively almost all of the battery tool lines have a compressor in there. So buy a compressor that matches your cordless drill etc for wire free pumping.

As for power there are plenty of power banks out there of different sizes. I usually just charge my phone as I am on track (oh the shame of loosing 0.25 kw of acceleration haha).
      04-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #500
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
I just bought the Avid Power cordless. Reviews seem to be favorable.
      04-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #501
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Do you guys have any hookups for used slicks?
Not a hookup but a common source for takeoffs - usedracingtires.com/. Hit or miss it seems like - I bought a couple of sets a ways back and wasn't really impressed. Hear others that have been happy with the tires they received. Just luck of the draw it sounds like.

Quote:
I like the Milwaukee cordless line including their inflator. The inflator itself is pretty compact and the rest of the tool set is very versatile. Also have a power supply that you can run off one of their batteries that has hook ups for usb & 120v.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      04-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #502
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I like the Milwaukee cordless line including their inflator. The inflator itself is pretty compact and the rest of the tool set is very versatile. Also have a power supply that you can run off one of their batteries that has hook ups for usb & 120v.
Appreciate that—how many tires do you think you can top-off with that little guy?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #503
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Okay guys, noob question time.

Is it Ok/advisable to tie down the car with slicks/Hoosiers mounted?

How do you guys secure your M2 in/on a trailer?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #504
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate that—how many tires do you think you can top-off with that little guy?
My buddy has one and I believe he uses it all weekend on one charge.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #505
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
I have been using this (but the Milwaukee version which looks exactly the same but which I couldn't find on Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/Inflator-Comp...%2C213&sr=8-17

I charge it up before a track day and it has plenty of juice to help me set tire temps throughout the day. Obviously, for track duty, I actually take air out and use this tool to adjust throughout the day and then use the tool to get my cold air pressure back up for street driving and the ride home. I haven't had any issues with it other than it starts struggling at around freezing ambient temperatures.
      04-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #506
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I bring one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MWB5XMF

Though Ive found most tracks have air, and power if you need it.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52269.00