BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AutoSolutions M2 Comp Short Shift Kit Quick Review

02-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #89
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
A bit late but I did it without removing the driveshaft. Probably could have gotten away without removing the exhaust as well.

It took quite a bit of wiggle room but in the end I wiggled it out. I had some confidence in that my friend did the same on his M3 so he was sure that it's doable.
Did you have your car on a lift, or were you able to do it without removing the driveshaft and still wiggle it out while the car was on jack stands?
I did everything on quick jacks. So maybe a bit higher than jack stands but not much.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #90
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
Just did this over the weekend. Also on quick jacks. I have the full active autowork signature exhaust, and could not get the heat shield out with it there, so it had to come down. I also needed dropped the driveshaft to give better access. The rest was fairly easy, with the hardest bit getting the pin thru the new nose on the transmission selector shaft. It required quite a bit of force to compress the elastomer bushing in order to get the pin lined up, at least more than I was thinking. Very pleased with the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 05:43 PM   #91
Jamdwn3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe View Post
Just added the autosolutions shifter to my m2c. It's legitimately a different car. You can't really understand how terrible the stock shift mechanism is until you jump over to what Ron makes at autosolutions. Worth every single penny to have this kit, I can't imagine going back to that vague BS from before.

I chose stock height & center, 15% reduction with the upgraded bushing (a must), and medium hardness. Ron is a world class vendor and is super helpful when it comes to explaining the methodology behind the shifter and why it's so far improved from the stock setup.
I did the autosolutions SSK for my M2C. Ron was a wealth of information and we chose the best shifter for my tastes. Went of 25% reduction and 90a bushings. Aggressive yes...and it is a bit noisy. vibration and harshness does not offend me as this is a used a sports car mostly. Summary is I love it! I feel so much more connected to the car and have not missed a gear in over a year I had it installed. Can't say the same with stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #92
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Had my SSK installed yesterday. Went with 17% reduction, stock height/position, with the 80 bushings (yellow colored). Feels great, although if I'm honest I don't love the increased weird noises and vibration in the M perf knob. Probably should have gone with the 70 bushings.

17% feels shorter than I expected, probably should have stuck with my initial ask of 15%. But like all short shifters, you quickly get used to it.

Not sure my shop's hourly rate (not posted), but I paid a flat rate of $300 installed.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 03:07 AM   #93
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I found the Mperf shift knobs rattle and buzz with a short shift kit, too much cheap plastic parts in them.

Changed mine out for a heavy, smooth Raceseng knob, THIS is what makes the shift kit 100%, best mod ever.

https://raceseng.com/sphereology-gate-1-bmw-shifter-arm
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #94
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stock:

17% SSK:
Appreciate 4
Moflow2484.50
F87source7238.00
jayk1221.50
      05-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #95
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Mine's about a month out, I went with 22.5% reduction, 95A, and stock height. I'm starting to wonder if the MP shift knob will be "enough" for my proposed specs based off of everyone's feedback...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #96
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I found the Mperf shift knobs rattle and buzz with a short shift kit, too much cheap plastic parts in them.
That may be but it's not just the shifter knob buzzing. Googling around I see a few posts reporting similar noises, kind of like this guy:

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678084

I'll definitely give it some time and possibly buy some softer bushings. Problem is I've only put 200 miles on the car in the last 8 months. Hoping to do some more driving as we come out of the pandemic.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #97
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Quote:
That may be but it's not just the shifter knob buzzing. Googling around I see a few posts reporting similar noises, kind of like this guy:

I'll definitely give it some time and possibly buy some softer bushings. Problem is I've only put 200 miles on the car in the last 8 months. Hoping to do some more driving as we come out of the pandemic.
I had this fear and my setup is similar (25% reduction 80a bushings). Noise for me is pretty minimal with the stock shift knob. I've heard the 95a bushings can be pretty loud and maybe I'm going deaf, but I'm extremely satisfied with the lack of whirring and clunks vs my older UUC setup.

One thing that has made a difference is to check if the shift knob is seated all the way down. If it's not, it'll make a ton of noise (like a baby on crack with a toy rattle). You might also want to use some tape on the shaft so that the knob fits more snugly.
      05-19-2021, 02:40 AM   #98
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I'll definitely give it 2lousome time and possibly buy some softer bushings. Problem is I've only put 200 miles on the car in the last 8 months. Hoping to do some more driving as we come out of the pandemic.
A lot of people there misunderstanding the issue and taking about diffs and engine mounts.

The sounds are normal internal gearbox gear lash noises / whining / whiring usually isolated from the cabin by mushy shifter bushings etc. The internal selector forks are touching the rotating parts in the gearbox, that is the noise, it changes pitch/frequency with gear selection not fixed to engine speed so its from the OUTPUT shaft side of the box. Nobody seems to talk about that so it can't be engine mounts for example.

Remove the NVH damping add the SSK and bingo it certain cases the whole selector / linkage train acts like a loudspeaker transmitting those noises into the cabin. The standard knobs can act like resonating amplifiers making the noise louder.

I found if I just touched the shift knob with one finger the noises allmost stopped. Cover it with your hand stretched out flat and it went quiet even withouth touching it.

Pull the knob off and go for a drive that was quiet too.

Equally the weighted Raceseng knob is completely silent for me. I think the OE knobs are just a bit lightweight and also hollow plastic inside which just doesn't quite work in some cases.

Resonance and vibrations are the bane of any NVH engineer, very complicated and hard to predict.

Last edited by doughboy; 05-19-2021 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #99
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A lot of people there misunderstanding the issue and taking about diffs and engine mounts.
Agreed, that was not a good thread to reference. I was just looking for others with the 80a bushings complaining about the noise and this thread is almost exactly the same as me:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693485

But I took my car out yesterday around town driving with window 1/3 open. Didn't seem to notice all the noises I heard the day before with windows up, radio off and going speeds 40-60mph and listening intently.

Just to be clear, definitely do not regret, just as the OP in the M3 thread, just a bit more noise than I expected. Windows open or radio on, it's not very noticeable.

It's a tradeoff, go with a quieter (or even new OEM) bushings and it won't stabilize the shift arm, taking away some of the crisp, precision of the shifts.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #100
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's a tradeoff, go with a quieter (or even new OEM) bushings and it won't stabilize the shift arm, taking away some of the crisp, precision of the shifts.
Exactly, that's why I stayed with the hard bushings and sorted the noise with a new shift knob, which actually turned out to improve the drive and shift feel even more! win win.

The noise wasn't that bad, just annoyed me on quiet runs. On a blast with the window open a little you couldn't hear it anyway.

PS - I bought my AS SSK before Ronald even offered softer bushings, so mine just has what are now the firmest bushings.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #101
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Had my SSK installed yesterday. Went with 17% reduction, stock height/position, with the 80 bushings (yellow colored). Feels great, although if I'm honest I don't love the increased weird noises and vibration in the M perf knob. Probably should have gone with the 70 bushings.

17% feels shorter than I expected, probably should have stuck with my initial ask of 15%. But like all short shifters, you quickly get used to it.
Quoting myself to update my original impressions. I no longer notice any increased NVH and 17% feels too long -- I should have gone with 20%! Love, love this shifter.

I (unfortunately) had to let my wife take the M2 one day and she loves it too! She's driven multiple manual BMWs and felt this is the best shifting BMW yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #102
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (6MT) & X3MC

Quote:
Quoting myself to update my original impressions. I no longer notice any increased NVH and 17% feels too long -- I should have gone with 20%! Love, love this shifter.

I (unfortunately) had to let my wife take the M2 one day and she loves it too! She's driven multiple manual BMWs and felt this is the best shifting BMW yet.
Did the sound disappear or have you tuned it out and don't notice it anymore?

I have -22.5%, stock height and 80a bushings sitting in my spare room waiting for me to install when I find time. I can't wait! I'm considering whether or not to swap my bushings for the 70 bushings before setting about the install.

I will be using both the stock shift knob andthe M Performance Carbon/Acantara shift knob and plan to switch between them from time to time.

Do you still wish you had used the 70's?

I keep seeing people refer to 80a and 80a+ bushings mentioned, are they one and the same? Mine were referred to as 80a, picture here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #103
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did the sound disappear or have you tuned it out and don't notice it anymore?
I don't notice it, so I think it's a combination, perhaps a bit quieter, but in day to day driving not noticeable. On my drive home from the shop I was, radio off, windows up, listening intently for any noises and keyed into the feeling in the shifter.

Quote:
I'm considering whether or not to swap my bushings for the 70 bushings before setting about the install. Do you still wish you had used the 70's?

I keep seeing people refer to 80a and 80a+ bushings mentioned, are they one and the same? Mine were referred to as 80a, picture here:
Good question, I went back to my emails from Ronald in late January and he mentioned 70a, 80a and 95a. He also stated the following:

"I've had no complaints of noise with either 70 or 80 on stock M2s. this does not means no noise. only no complaints of such. So based on that data 80 is a very reasonable choice. a tiny bit more risky than 70 noise wise but significantly if not overwhelmingly more responsive."

Regardless I have no regrets about the 80/80a (think they are the same) and given the choice would stick with what I have.

Quote:
I will be using both the stock shift knob andthe M Performance Carbon/Acantara shift knob and plan to switch between them from time to time.
The slight vibration in the M Performance Carbon/Alcantara knob does not bother me and I don't really notice it when shifting or my hand is on it. I only notice it when stopped at a light and looking at the shift knob.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #104
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I just paid for mine, I went with a 15% reduction since I wanted to keep it close to stock but reduce a bit of the "slop". Hopefully it ships soon so I can get it installed asap. With the UCP in already, I hope to do the CDV delete and this SSK at the same time.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #105
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Hopefully it ships soon...
I ordered Feb 2nd, it shipped April 14th, YMMV. (As you know each one is custom made and he does them in batches when he gets multiple orders for the same BMW model in his queue).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #106
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
I have the 80a+ bushings

They look very similar to yours, but I don't know if they are truly identical

Ronald has refined the formula of his bushings over the past few years
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #107
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ordered Feb 2nd, it shipped April 14th, YMMV. (As you know each one is custom made and he does them in batches when he gets multiple orders for the same BMW model in his queue).
I've been pestering him since early March. Paid the invoice last week since he said it was done, so now I'm just waiting for the shipping...

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 10:35 PM   #108
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I just paid for mine, I went with a 15% reduction since I wanted to keep it close to stock but reduce a bit of the "slop". Hopefully it ships soon so I can get it installed asap. With the UCP in already, I hope to do the CDV delete and this SSK at the same time.
I already have the UCP installed as well, and plan to do the CDV at the same time as the ssk. If the timing works out, I should be doing an active autowerke EL mid pipe also!

Not looking forward to bleeding the clutch though, sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Last edited by Midtown2020; 06-07-2021 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #109
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I already have the UCP installed as well, and plan to do the CDV at the same time as the ssk. If the timing works out, I should be doing an active autowerke EL mid pipe also!

Not looking forward to bleeding the clutch though, sounds like a real pain in the ass.
I'm going to leave that bit of work to EAS to do
Just got shipping confirmation on my SSK.

All that's left is the EL midpipe...

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #110
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Regardless I have no regrets about the 80/80a (think they are the same) and given the choice would stick with what I have.
I checked with Ronald. The 80A was the original, then it was modified and given the name 80A+. Since it was better than the original 80A, he stopped selling the original 80A in favor of only selling the 80A+, but he reverted the name of the 80A+ to 80A again.
Appreciate 0