BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M4 seats swapped into my M2

12-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #45
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I think - if you do as described above and switch the modules - the car won't notice a difference, and the seat will work fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #46
Bemadubau
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks for posting this swap. I JUST picked up a beautiful pair of seats and just ordered the revised black M2 seat badges to replace the cracked originals. But here’s my question:

Did any of you who did the swap have a problem getting the seat badge to light up? if so, what was the fix? I’m starting this retrofit when the badges arrive in a few days, but I’m just prepping myself for possible issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #47
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

The badges were not why I swapped. But would be interested to know more.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #48
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Hi just got some retrimmed M4 seats fitted today, they had the modules for M2 installed and came out of a chaps LCI M2 where they were fully working.

Now they look awesome and fit amazingly. But driver's seat control is reversed, down is up and up is down. It's also reluctant to fully go up and down the full range in one continuous motion, doing a stop-start dance.

The passenger seat is totally fine?

The rear seat buttons also don't work (the ones that slide the seats forward to get out) yet they did on his LCI?

The passenger seat belt threw an error (not drivers) and I cleared it with Thor OBD adapter and it didn't come back. We think it did this as we plugged the seat in with the ignition on, oops!

So If I get someone to code it what do I say? M4 seat in M2 please make it work? Or will they just know what to do?

Or is it not a code issue and a module issue? If so why such a difference with OG and LCI compatibility?!

Cheers

Last edited by 3t3p; 06-17-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #49
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Going to try modules from previous OG seats and put them in the M4 ones, I rang a coder who said the modules can be VIN specific.

M Fifty also told me to give it a go on another forum cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #50
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Tried previous modules and seats working correctly now and nothing is reversed.

Only issue is I'm convinced they aren't going as low as they first did when we installed the M4 seats I thought hey I could wear a helmet now and not hit the sunroof.

Now With my original modules the seat refrains from going as low. Could the electrical end points be different between seat control modules?

Or am I just tripping balls at this point?! Luckily theyre not too high, about same as OG electric seats. Nice to have the option though.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #51
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Geil View Post
I picked up a set of M4 front and rear seats. The backs were already painted Yas Marina Blue. I was on the fence about replacing them with carbon fiber backs but the color really looks good, especially with an all black interior.

The rear backs required on to have the bracket swapped as they M4 bracket is different. The bottom has to have a mod done on the back but waiting for it to come back from having that finished.

The fronts only required to swap the computer under the seat. Tried it without swapping the computer and got instant airbag warnings when I connected the battery back. Oh well, I tried the short cut.

All functions in the seats work as normal, except the ///M logo doesn't light up. I'll have to figure out the wiring for that another day. Memory, heat, and all adjustments work as they should in either car.

I'm so happy with the way they feel and they really do look good in my opinion.

PM sent.
      07-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #52
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post

Hi just got some retrimmed M4 seats fitted today, they had the modules for M2 installed and came out of a chaps LCI M2 where they were fully working.

Now they look awesome and fit amazingly. But driver's seat control is reversed, down is up and up is down. It's also reluctant to fully go up and down the full range in one continuous motion, doing a stop-start dance.

The passenger seat is totally fine?

The rear seat buttons also don't work (the ones that slide the seats forward to get out) yet they did on his LCI?

The passenger seat belt threw an error (not drivers) and I cleared it with Thor OBD adapter and it didn't come back. We think it did this as we plugged the seat in with the ignition on, oops!

So If I get someone to code it what do I say? M4 seat in M2 please make it work? Or will they just know what to do?

Or is it not a code issue and a module issue? If so why such a difference with OG and LCI compatibility?!

Cheers
Did you change the floor mount from your M2 over to your M4 seats??
      07-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #53
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Noting that the lower seat frames are common across multiple models (and anything built into the floorpan is fundamentally not going to be changeable), what was the nature of your concern?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #54
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Noting that the lower seat frames are common across multiple models (and anything built into the floorpan is fundamentally not going to be changeable), what was the nature of your concern?
I was wondering if the height and front to back settings could be set to different limits due to the interior sizes being different.
      07-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #55
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Floor mount? Not sure I know what that is.

Old seats on their rails out. M4 seats on their rails in.

What I'm noticing now is under braking or accelerating sometimes feel the seat move back/forward what feels like 0.5mm. enough to feel.

Just got a Torx wrench delivered today but mounting bolts were already done up nice and tight, only one bolt on driver side I could really apply more torque to.

Unless the cushion I sit on is shifting? It's a very finite amount though as though clicking. Not soft like upholstery moving around...

Maybe it's even the play in the linear screw mechanism that lets the seat go forward and backward?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #56
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:

What I'm noticing now is under braking or accelerating sometimes feel the seat move back/forward what feels like 0.5mm. enough to feel.

Just got a Torx wrench delivered today but mounting bolts were already done up nice and tight, only one bolt on driver side I could really apply more torque to.

Unless the cushion I sit on is shifting? It's a very finite amount though as though clicking. Not soft like upholstery moving around...

Maybe it's even the play in the linear screw mechanism that lets the seat go forward and backward?
I've not run into this at all. Check the screws with your new torx bit. Did you roll in forward and tighten and then roll it back and tighten?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #57
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Roll seat forward tighten then back and tighten? Yeh I did that. They're round holes and by time all correctly located no real play.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #58
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Tightening that one bolt mayyy have solved it! But early days.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #59
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Nope still there, no idea why. So weird what on earth can shift in these seats?!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #60
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Okay, remind me - are yours electric or manual?

If the former have a look at the threaded rod of the forward/back adjuster and and the nut where it attaches to just behind the front mounting hole and check for play.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #61
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Electric M4 seats yeh.

If there was play what can I do about it at this point?

I'm very sure it's not the mounting bolts, I can't tighten them any further that's with a quality torx bit in a 6" handle ratchet.

Play in a threaded system is exactly what it feels like! Such a small amount but you can feel it.

Still worth it, stock seats at one HR guaranteed to get my back aching and could never sort it no matter what lumbar adjustment I made.

These M4 seats well you can go 2-3 hrs before wanting a stretch out of the car but even then my back isn't physically sore.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 05:18 AM   #62
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

So this is what I experience, a shifting 'pop'

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560595

I can not turn the bolts any tighter, I loosened them all and with any momentum (the thread is such they quickly tighten up) and all strength through 6'' handle ratchet the seat still does it.

I hope it's not this frame issue as the parts are over £800 alone.

I wonder if anything is compatible with my old seats.

Next step is to take complete M4 seat out or car and see if there's anything obvious to see.

Previous owner adamant no such issues his end but we'll never know really. Seemed an honest bloke.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:40 AM   #63
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

The frame of the seat base is common between the OG/LCI and the M2C (and several other models https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=52107285859), so you could compare the old seats with the new ones to try and identify the problem.

Last edited by M Fifty; 08-24-2021 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #64
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
The frame of the seat base is common between the OG/LCI and the M2C (and several other models https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=52107285859), so you could compare the old seats with the new ones to try and identify the problem.
That's good to know cheers. I'll have a look when I get time.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:02 AM   #65
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Had seat out. Nothing obviously wrong on visual inspection. Ok further the net there are a few BMW electric seat owners who have had this problem.

Some suggest a metal tube running width ways across the seat and it's bearings are to blame. However on my car the tube is held in place by metal compression for ring.

I tightened slightly the front of the seats up and down tilt mechanism. It's a a pivot joint with white plastic bushing, screen and nut.

Went for a good drive and for a while this seemed to have cited it, also felt much more connected to the car. However it then started doing it again, albeit in a more minor fashion. The GF did hear one of the 'pops' (she thinks I'm mad at this point!).

Some on the threads suggested if the seat is fully tilted down or up then the problem is resolved as parts rest against each other. Currently I much prefer the seat totally flat Vs tilted all the way back.

But as above the seat looks fine. Today it felt like it was right under my butt, like the cushioned moved Vs the whole seat.

Is that possible?

Wondering to contact reupholsters see if they have any experience with this issue?!

It's maddening as car seats should not move?!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #66
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Hey wondering if any fellow seat swappers can help? Converted my M2 to M4 ZCP seats and have couple bits to work out….

1. Lighting the seat badge is there more info on this, so I know pin 7 on the seat is used but connected to where and how.

2. The rear bench lower part, I've cut what parts I could see that were obviously fouling but still doesn't seem to want to go back far enough to clip in. Almost as if the bench is too deep for the mounting.

Also have the issue with the driver seat up/down control reversed but I've seen that above. I thought I'd possibly get away with using same control units as seats are technically identical in ability. So just need to swap these over.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0