BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter wheels for the M2 Competition

11-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #89
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Put the winters back on for the season. 245/35/19 on 19 x 9.5 +25. IMHO it's too stretched. I would have gone with 255/35/19 and dealt with the rub in front.(melt the fender worst case).

The sottozero tires wear out like butter so I will be getting a new set in 255/35/19 soon enough.
Attached Images

11-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #90
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Hello,

BMW- site: NO CHAINS possible on 640M... But last year it was "possible" ...

Chains or no chains?

Need the info cuz chains mandatory in French Alps (in case of heavy snow).

Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #91
fili92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, X1 30e coming...

I am using the SOTTOZERO 245 front and 265 rear r19 (stock rims) and me too at the front the wheel touches the wheel arch when I steer. Has anyone solved it?
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #92
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fili92 View Post
I am using the SOTTOZERO 245 front and 265 rear r19 (stock rims) and me too at the front the wheel touches the wheel arch when I steer. Has anyone solved it?
There’s a few posts here where people had luck using a heat gun and an object to push the wheel-well liner out a few mm.

I find this interesting because I recently put 245/265 Michelin PA4 on my 2021 M2C and have no rubbing in front as far I can tell so far, but many people have complained of it with the PA4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #93
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fili92 View Post
If you don't use the heat gun method, here's another method, if you got a square setup. After a season, if you've been liberal with the use of your gas pedal (and the electronic nannies off of course), then you can rotate them up front the next season and problem's solved!

BTW, the rubbing, other than being annoying, was never so bad that it caused any damage to the fender liner after a season.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #94
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
If you don't use the heat gun method, here's another method, if you got a square setup. After a season, if you've been liberal with the use of your gas pedal (and the electronic nannies off of course), then you can rotate them up front the next season and problem's solved!

BTW, the rubbing, other than being annoying, was never so bad that it caused any damage to the fender liner after a season.
Well... a) it did cause some minor damage in my case (some plastic falling off from where the plastic bumper connects to the metalic fender), and b) it causes the offending wheel to rotate slower than the other side (that front wheel in essense brakes) on dips/bumps so it may cause some funny handling behaviors if not taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 09:45 PM   #95
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Well... a) it did cause some minor damage in my case (some plastic falling off from where the plastic bumper connects to the metalic fender), and b) it causes the offending wheel to rotate slower than the other side (that front wheel in essense brakes) on dips/bumps so it may cause some funny handling behaviors if not taken care of.
Wow, that's crazy yours rubbed so bad... Mine only rubbed on full lock when turning. Basically when parking. Not when driving at full speed, and certainly never on dips and bumps! Are you lowered or something? That makes no sense at all considering the overall diameter of the setup is identical to stock pretty much, other than a couple of mm's (off the top of my head).

The only reason this particular setup rubs, even though the tire is identical to the OEM front one, is because the profile of the PA4 snow tire is a lot more squared at the edges compared to the summer tires.

PS It's a bit of an exaggeration to say the tire on that side actually rotates slower from a bit of plastic rubbing... Do you realize the forces that would be required to do that?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 02:15 AM   #96
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's crazy yours rubbed so bad... Mine only rubbed on full lock when turning. Basically when parking. Not when driving at full speed, and certainly never on dips and bumps! Are you lowered or something? That makes no sense at all considering the overall diameter of the setup is identical to stock pretty much, other than a couple of mm's (off the top of my head).

The only reason this particular setup rubs, even though the tire is identical to the OEM front one, is because the profile of the PA4 snow tire is a lot more squared at the edges compared to the summer tires.

PS It's a bit of an exaggeration to say the tire on that side actually rotates slower from a bit of plastic rubbing... Do you realize the forces that would be required to do that?
Yes, forgot to mention, I'm on MP coilovers, standard lowering + PA4s in standard summer sizes. So I had do the heat gun trick, quite a bit of it.

>> an exaggeration to say the tire on that side actually rotates slower
No, it's not. I had stabilization nannies saying hi on the dashboard, and could feel it, when driving enthusiastically.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #97
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Yes, forgot to mention, I'm on MP coilovers, standard lowering + PA4s in standard summer sizes. So I had do the heat gun trick, quite a bit of it.

>> an exaggeration to say the tire on that side actually rotates slower
No, it's not. I had stabilization nannies saying hi on the dashboard, and could feel it, when driving enthusiastically.
Wow. Ok... Just a minor detail you left out, huh? That kind of makes your whole contribution to this thread about people with PA4 tire-rubbing issues on stock suspension kind of pointless...

But thanks anyway!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:40 PM   #98
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Wow. Ok... Just a minor detail you left out, huh? That kind of makes your whole contribution to this thread about people with PA4 tire-rubbing issues on stock suspension kind of pointless...

But thanks anyway!
Always here to help. Glad you appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 04:50 AM   #99
fili92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, X1 30e coming...

Quote:

Me too rubs only in the parking lot or passing over bumps.
It's annoying, but luckily it didn't cause any damage.
In Italy, by law, winter tires must be kept until April 15, but when they exceed 15 ° C I change them for summer. Luckily there are still a few days left ...
Appreciate 0