BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Front wheel offset on stock suspension

01-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #1
KAR120C
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, M2C, Audi A5 Cabriolet

Front wheel offset on stock suspension

I’m trying to finalize my decision on moving from 788’s to 19x9.5 F and 19x10.5 R. I want to run 265/30 F and 285/30 R. And, I want to run stock suspension AND stock camber.

I’ve spent hours looking at M2C wheel pics and reading posts on fitment and am still confused on correct (or best) fitment for the fronts. The 2 wheels I’m looking at are the Titan7 T-S5, and Forgeline GA1R as sold by Dinan. I also put the Apex EC-7 into the mix for offset comparison. Apex suggests moving outboard to 28mm, Titan outboard further to 27. Dinan suggests pulling inboard to 31. Makes me wonder why not 29 stock offset…

I would appreciate feedback on clearance from anyone who is actually running a pure stock setup with any of those wheels and tire sizes.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAR120C View Post
I’m trying to finalize my decision on moving from 788’s to 19x9.5 F and 19x10.5 R. I want to run 265/30 F and 285/30 R. And, I want to run stock suspension AND stock camber.

I’ve spent hours looking at M2C wheel pics and reading posts on fitment and am still confused on correct (or best) fitment for the fronts. The 2 wheels I’m looking at are the Titan7 T-S5, and Forgeline GA1R as sold by Dinan. I also put the Apex EC-7 into the mix for offset comparison. Apex suggests moving outboard to 28mm, Titan outboard further to 27. Dinan suggests pulling inboard to 31. Makes me wonder why not 29 stock offset…

I would appreciate feedback on clearance from anyone who is actually running a pure stock setup with any of those wheels and tire sizes.
This absolutely comes down to the tires you choose, as any offset between +22 to +31 can work.

I know a chap with an original Dinan car with the GA1R's and the spec'd Pirelli Corsa tires, and it does not rub at all, but it's dead close, so you know you are safe with those specs...with that tire. However, if you want to run a wider 265/30 in the future, say an 888R for example, which has a TW of 10" compared to the 9.4" of the Corsa, then you'd need a full 8mm more room, or +23.

I would choose your offset by the tires you're most likely to run.
Appreciate 1
Rundskop145.00
      01-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #3
KAR120C
United_States
Rep

Agreed! That's why I want to hear from people who have first hand experience with the tires and sizes. There is so much speculation or opinion on what will rub and what will fit.

I've been modding suspensions for 4 decades and I finally just want to find a spec that will bolt on without drama...lol.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13540.00
      01-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Agreed! That's why I want to hear from people who have first hand experience with the tires and sizes. There is so much speculation or opinion on what will rub and what will fit.

I've been modding suspensions for 4 decades and I finally just want to find a spec that will bolt on without drama...lol.
I think the problem is that there are an infinite amount of variables. The drop (which creates more negative camber), the tire size, make, model, millimeters difference in offset, they all work in concert to make one set-up work when another one that is so very close doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #5
KAR120C
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I think the problem is that there are an infinite amount of variables. The drop (which creates more negative camber), the tire size, make, model, millimeters difference in offset, they all work in concert to make one set-up work when another one that is so very close doesn't.
There are definitely a lot of variables. That's why I was very specific. If I can hear from people with the wheel and tire size I'm looking at, then for a given offset the variables drop to 1) the very small differences between individual cars' stock camber and ride height (which I'll overlook), and 2) the tire type. That's why it's important to me to hear the experiences of people actually running the set-up! If I hear the Corsa's fit like on your buddy's Dinan car, but something wide like a Potenza Sport rubs, then I have good data to work with. If I hear that Titan7's work great with the Potenza but not the Corsa's, then that's good data, too.
Appreciate 1
Rundskop145.00
      02-12-2022, 11:36 PM   #6
Rundskop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM 6MT M2C

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
There are definitely a lot of variables. That's why I was very specific. If I can hear from people with the wheel and tire size I'm looking at, then for a given offset the variables drop to 1) the very small differences between individual cars' stock camber and ride height (which I'll overlook), and 2) the tire type. That's why it's important to me to hear the experiences of people actually running the set-up! If I hear the Corsa's fit like on your buddy's Dinan car, but something wide like a Potenza Sport rubs, then I have good data to work with. If I hear that Titan7's work great with the Potenza but not the Corsa's, then that's good data, too.
TL;DR = 9.5 +27/+28 on OE suspension with 265/30/19 fits w/o adjustments or modifications. If you upgrade suspension w/camber plates just go 9.5 +22.

Like was mentioned, if you want a 265 front you’ll likely need the 9.5 wheel to have between +22 to +28 offset. Apex has mounted the 9.5 +28 and it's sold as a direct bolt on for OE suspension with 265/30 MP4S or R888R, which can be viewed on their F87 Fitment Guide page.

The 9.5+22 might require some additional camber compared to stock, at around -2 or -2.2. I forget what is possible w/o camber plates but recall seeing it work with a 255/35 and no adjustments.

From my countless hours of researching the forums and speaking to people and checking their setups in person I would go with the 9.5+27 or +28 from Apex or Titan, unless you're going with aftermarket suspension in which case you can fit much more tire/wheel.

For reference, using WillTheyFit.com and confirmation from Apex and Bimmerworld, 10.0 +20 fits front as it’s often ran square as a 10 +33 (with 12mm front spacer) even for those on Ohlins, but you need to add negative camber.

I know people have fit 9.5+25 with 255/35 on Ohlins.

Regardless everyone putting Ohlins on this car should always go for the 7” (180mm) front spring which is .87” shorter than the standard (200mm). Then you can increase preload a few mm if you need extra inner clearance.

I'm running a 9.5 +13, which has almost identical outboard/fender clearance as a 10 +20/+19 wheel, with a 265/30/19 on Ohlins with the shorter 7" spring and -2.5 front camber, with only 5-10mm front drop, measuring top of front fender to bottom wheel lip at about 24".

Here's some pics of my Ohlins with OE wheel/tire set up (788M 245/35) with above ride height. 13mm = half inch. Image w/measurements is OE, and image with more space and no measurements is 9.5 +13 clearance 265/30.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rundskop; 02-12-2022 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50