BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MAD S55 Catless Downpipes Review

01-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
MAD S55 Catless Downpipes Review

I bought a set of S55 catless DPs from Mastery of Art and Design (MAD). There isn't much information on their products yet so I figured I'd share my experience.

When I placed my order, they didn't ship for about two weeks, so I contacted them about shipping. They were quick to respond. Their representative told me the DPs were in stock, but didn't ship for some reason. They ended up shipping it through DHL for me.

When my shop got to install the DPs, they told me the diameter of the DPs (where they meet the midpipes) was too small. The gaskets weren't seating properly and would result in a slight exhaust leak. My shop had to use a pipe expander tool to make them fit well.

The end of the downpipes were also slightly bent, but the flex pipes allowed for a slight flex to allow for the midpipes to fit. So that was no problem.

All in all, it took about an hour for the install.

To conclude, MAD's prices almost match those off-brand Chinese downpipes, but MAD fits a lot better. Most off-brand downpipes just straight up do not fit. MAD is a great cheaper alternative. They also have a 90 day return policy and lifetime guarantee, so even if it doesn't fit, you're not out of luck.
Attached Images

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #2
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Additional photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
imOFP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2c, '23 Bronco Raptor

Garage List
Thanks for sharing.

Stupid question but for these cars (S55 specific) is a tune needed for catless DP? Coming from an STI where every little mod required a tune to err on the safe side and to now having an untunable 2021, asking out of curiosity.

Thanks.
      01-20-2022, 09:25 PM   #4
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imOFP View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Stupid question but for these cars (S55 specific) is a tune needed for catless DP? Coming from an STI where every little mod required a tune to err on the safe side and to now having an untunable 2021, asking out of curiosity.

Thanks.
Catless downpipes don't require a tune, but to get the most out of them (power wise) you need to tune your car. You would also have to deal with a CEL if you don't get a tune. I already got a CEL after driving around for a few hours after the install.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Op,

Thanks for sharing. The diameter comment is a new one and we would like more info if you have it available. Are you saying the saying the Downpipe gasket was loose fitting? Was it an oem gasket? Typically when the exhaust is tightened down and the gaskets are pressed the soft gasket will fill in any of the gaps. Either way glad they took the time to make sure it would be perfect for you as many shops wouldn't go to that length.

Your installed photos look great and everything looks to be aligned perfectly. Enjoy your new mad downpipes!
Appreciate 2
imOFP210.50
      01-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #6
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Op,

Thanks for sharing. The diameter comment is a new one and we would like more info if you have it available. Are you saying the saying the Downpipe gasket was loose fitting? Was it an oem gasket? Typically when the exhaust is tightened down and the gaskets are pressed the soft gasket will fill in any of the gaps. Either way glad they took the time to make sure it would be perfect for you as many shops wouldn't go to that length.

Your installed photos look great and everything looks to be aligned perfectly. Enjoy your new mad downpipes!
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to me. My shop pointed out to me that downpipe to midpipe gaskets were loosely fitting. And yes, they were OEM gaskets.

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the exhaust sound after installing the downpipes!

Last edited by Jayden_F87; 01-22-2022 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1