BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke F87 BMW M2C Valved Rear Axle-back Exhaust **NEW PRODUCT**

07-14-2021, 06:48 AM   #177
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanky84 View Post
A few members have DM me asking for my feedback on AA's single mid pipe paired with AA's axle back... AKA "the back box", so I decided to post here a quick summary that I responded to one of them, with my honest opinion, likes and dislikes on each of three configurations that I was able to run.
Disclaimer: Not trying to convince anyone or change anyone's opinion on any of the mid pipes of your choice.

I initially bought AA's axle back only, mainly to get rid of the low diaper. Then added to EL and at last I switched to the Single mid (Stock tune and stock downpipes). So I was able to test and compare all 3 setups, as follow:

AA axle back paired with OEM midpipe: I really loved that setup, there was no drone what so ever. It sounded deep and any rasp essentially gone. The back box alone did an excellent job. Only reason I decided to move forward with the midpipe thing was to free up some exhaust flow and a little louder tone. I think that if one is on a budget, and don't want to spend $3K-plus in the exhaust, this is the setup to go.

AA axle back paired with AA (non-resonated) EL midpipe: I wasn't impressed since day 1 but gave it a try, maybe because it was all in my head. I felt I was driving a different car. Like a naturally aspirated V6 (a 370Z to be specific), on low RPMs efficient mode was too silent. When cruising I can hear this humming noise almost on the edge to become a droning sound. My OEM midpipe was producing better sound inside the cabin than this EL. Under load it sounded great. But between 2k and 3k rpm I got this boomines/vibration all over the dash and rear panel behind the rear seat. If you floor it, to pass a car for example, above 3k it makes a weird trumpet sound that I really hated. It sounded pretty at very high RPM, but common, that's not the usual driving. You get traffic jams, red lights, speed bumps, community areas and even back roads that you just cant go at 6500 rpm all the time. I was unhappy, a friend of mine had the single mid like a year ago and he was interested in the EL so I offered to switch midpipes.

Final (and current configuration) AA axle back paired with AA Single midpipe: This is it for me. I finally have what I envisioned my car should sound from the beginning. Its a deep refined turbo inline 6 sound at low RPMs and cruising. Cold start is not annoying anymore... loud for 10 seconds and then just a deep idle rumble. I wanted the car to have more exhaust feedback in EFFICIENT mode, and that's exactly what this setup gave me. The exhaust is producing such a great deep bass noise. I can even hear a few tiny burbles and pops when taking the foot out of the pedal. I can hear that classic inline six tone as well while cruising. In SPORT its essentially the same a EFFICIENT but with tuned-down Pops and Crackles and a bit more drone between 1500 and 2500 rpm (nothing to worry about, one wont even pay attention to it after a few trips). In SPORT PLUS I honestly cant say which of the 2 configurations is louder (cause the are loud). But at that point for me is really irrelevant, like I said before, unless you are at the track you don't floor it to 6500 rpm from every red light to red light.

In summary, I'm super happy with this setup. Its the end of the journey for me messing with my exhaust. I don't see myself spending 1 more penny trying the improve or modify the tone anymore. It improved the overall S55 sound by a LOT without making it a totally different S55 sound. I know many people have complaint about the S55 sound but hey, if you buy a Harley or a Porsche, or even a Subaru, you want them to sound like a Harley and a Porsche, not a Yamaha and not a Mustang (even when they both sound pretty good LOL!)

I really hope I have clarified any doubt or maybe created more LOL! Sad part of this story is that I got so busy at work and at home projects during this time that I did not documented on video all 3 configurations. So for the first 2 its just my testimony and I hope to take some time after my trip to California to make some sound clips for those interested (even when sound clips do cero justice to the real tone of the exhaust)
A great review, but even a cell phone video from inside/outside would have still been better
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #178
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
AA axle back paired with OEM midpipe: I really loved that setup, there was no drone what so ever. It sounded deep and any rasp essentially gone. The back box alone did an excellent job. Only reason I decided to move forward with the midpipe thing was to free up some exhaust flow and a little louder tone. I think that if one is on a budget, and don't want to spend $3K-plus in the exhaust, this is the setup to go.
Thanks for the detail. How loud was this setup over stock? I'm really just looking to get rid of the stock muffler.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #179
juanky84
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Thanks for the detail. How loud was this setup over stock? I'm really just looking to get rid of the stock muffler.
Honestly, the back box alone do the magic. I'll say It's a tad louder than the OEM, but by no means I found it to be annoying. Its a much better sound than OEM without disrupting your day to day trips.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #180
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Honestly, the back box alone do the magic. I'll say It's a tad louder than the OEM, but by no means I found it to be annoying. Its a much better sound than OEM without disrupting your day to day trips.
+1 the axle back on it own is a major improvement over stock, but it sounds even better with the correct midpipe.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 08:17 AM   #181
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

AA EL Resonated mid pipes & AA valved exhaust

G’day mike@x-ph.com
Can anyone point me to an example of AA EL Resonated Mid-Pipes and AA Valved Rear Exhaust .

I have a M2 Cs and I’d like to get feedback on that combination and any video .

I do not want any raspy/metallic noise from the exhaust .

Thanks
Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #182
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser135msport View Post
G’day mike@x-ph.com
Can anyone point me to an example of AA EL Resonated Mid-Pipes and AA Valved Rear Exhaust .

Thanks
Bruce
I recommend you check with Active directly , i dont have a video of this setup

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #183
juanky84
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

AA New Valved Exhaust + AA Single Mid-pipe

I know I promised a few videos of my exhaust setup (AA's new valved exhaust + AA's Single mid-pipe) so here they are. Finally had the time to make them. Hope it clarifies your concerns or maybe bring more questions LOL!! JUST make sure you use a good set of headphones, otherwise you cellphone speakers will not replicate the nice deeper tone this setup have. I guarantee you its even a deeper tone if you listen it in person... but my aging Samsung S9 did a decent job recording these vids

Last edited by juanky84; 08-27-2021 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #184
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know I promised a few videos of my exhaust setup (AA's new valved exhaust + AA's Single mid-pipe) so here they are. Finally had the time to make them. Hope it clarifies your concerns or maybe bring more questions LOL!! JUST make sure you use a good set of headphones, otherwise you cellphone speakers will not replicate the nice deeper tone this setup have. I guarantee you its even a deeper tone if you listen it in person... but my aging Samsung S9 did a decent job recoding this vids

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #185
Stryyker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 LBB M2C

Can anyone provide me with assistance. Ever since installing Ive been getting a strange rattle under some conditions and I am having a hard time replicating it. I am 99% sure the remainder of this sound is still the axleback portion rubbing against the subframe of the car where the lower control arms lie. I managed to adjust a little and the noise is definitely less. However, this being said I am having a insanely hard time perfecting the fitment to get no noise out of it. Its often just a half second noise a couple of times per drive however I would still like to eliminate it. Anybody have tips?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #186
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryyker View Post
Can anyone provide me with assistance. Ever since installing Ive been getting a strange rattle under some conditions and I am having a hard time replicating it. I am 99% sure the remainder of this sound is still the axleback portion rubbing against the subframe of the car where the lower control arms lie. I managed to adjust a little and the noise is definitely less. However, this being said I am having a insanely hard time perfecting the fitment to get no noise out of it. Its often just a half second noise a couple of times per drive however, I would still like to eliminate it. Does anybody have tips?
Since you could locate the problem, I recommend putting the car on the lift again and adjusting it more, so it clears 100%.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #187
Stryyker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 LBB M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryyker View Post
Can anyone provide me with assistance. Ever since installing Ive been getting a strange rattle under some conditions and I am having a hard time replicating it. I am 99% sure the remainder of this sound is still the axleback portion rubbing against the subframe of the car where the lower control arms lie. I managed to adjust a little and the noise is definitely less. However, this being said I am having a insanely hard time perfecting the fitment to get no noise out of it. Its often just a half second noise a couple of times per drive however, I would still like to eliminate it. Does anybody have tips?
Since you could locate the problem, I recommend putting the car on the lift again and adjusting it more, so it clears 100%.
Definitely a thought but was wondering if there was any tips to get the fitment perfect because it seems to be SUPER tight and finnicky. Also seems to be only happening in certain conditions and only warm.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:27 AM   #188
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I know I promised a few videos of my exhaust setup (AA's new valved exhaust + AA's Single mid-pipe) so here they are. Finally had the time to make them. Hope it clarifies your concerns or maybe bring more questions LOL!! JUST make sure you use a good set of headphones, otherwise you cellphone speakers will not replicate the nice deeper tone this setup have. I guarantee you its even a deeper tone if you listen it in person... but my aging Samsung S9 did a decent job recording these vids

Really love the sound of this... Like you said if it retains some of the S55's character, while cleaning up the sound a bit and sounding deep and mean... I think that suits the car well.

Would really like to hear some more videos of this setup at higher RPMs etc if anyone else has this combo!

Almost leaning towards pulling the trigger on AA single and the new valved backbox, other two options I am debating is Dinan or breaking the bank on a full Akra system...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #189
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianComp View Post
Really love the sound of this... Like you said if it retains some of the S55's character, while cleaning up the sound a bit and sounding deep and mean... I think that suits the car well.

Would really like to hear some more videos of this setup at higher RPMs etc if anyone else has this combo!

Almost leaning towards pulling the trigger on AA single and the new valved backbox, other two options I am debating is Dinan or breaking the bank on a full Akra system...
+1 for AA single and their valved axle-back, one of the best sounding setups in my opinion

Appreciate 2
      01-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #190
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I ran a AA Single with Wagner HF cats and the AA valved rear section on my 1st M2C

Its about a good as your going to hear unless you run with their new unequal length.

I now have the new equal length midpipe with the valved rear on my 2nd M2C and its awesome!

It now sounds like a properly inline 6 BMW should...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 01-04-2022 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 11:41 AM   #191
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
I ran a AA Single with Wagner HF cats and the AA valved rear section on my 1st M2C

Its about a good as your going to hear unless you run with their new unequal length.

I now have the unequal length midpipe with the valved rear on my 2nd M2C and its awesome!

Sound clip please

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:25 PM   #192
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I now have the unequal length midpipe with the valved rear on my 2nd M2C and its awesome!

By unequal length mid pipe do you mean the AA single, unresonated? Would like to hear a system with the resonated single mid pipe as well, but would assume the difference would mainly be it being just a bit quieter...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #193
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
By unequal length mid pipe do you mean the AA single, unresonated? Would like to hear a system with the resonated single mid pipe as well, but would assume the difference would mainly be it being just a bit quieter...
Meant equal length with stock cats and rear AA valved...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #194
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Meant equal length with stock cats and rear AA valved...
Did you go resonated or in non-resonated ?
      01-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #195
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser135msport View Post
G’day mike@x-ph.com

Thanks
Bruce
I will have exactly this setup here shortly. My valved exhaust arrived just in time for Christmas, and have a full set of comprehensive sound videos with midpipes and stock back box. I will be doing both install DIY video and sound comparison video ASAP, though likely 2-3 weeks before its ready.

Its like 20 (f) degrees in the garage right now.. yoiks!
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #196
justin.m2c
Registered
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I currently have the AA Single Midpipe and wanted to pair it with the Remus Sport Axle Back, but I too am wondering what it would sound like when paired with the AA Axle Back. Also, would it technically sound different than the AA Signature?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 09:31 AM   #197
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.m2c View Post
I currently have the AA Single Midpipe and wanted to pair it with the Remus Sport Axle Back, but I too am wondering what it would sound like when paired with the AA Axle Back. Also, would it technically sound different than the AA Signature?
It is at the signature and the valved use 2 different mufflers

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 07:35 AM   #198
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

The Ultimate F87 BMW M2C Rear Exhaust System
After watching the below video a couple times, I became absolutely sold on the AA valved axleback, paired with the AA resonated equal length mid pipe:

Thanks to your Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale, I finally took the the plunge and ordered the combo from you guys. I can't wait to hear the difference over 100% stock.