BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Getting new exhausts with limited options… help?

11-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #1
Koriyuu
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS | 23 i4 e35

Getting new exhausts with limited options… help?

Hey everyone,

I have 2017 M2 with stock exhaust.

I am looking into getting some new exhaust for my car, but being in Canada, I don’t have much options due to various reasons.

Options I have are:

1. Dinan w/ resonator delete kit ($CAD 2300 ish)

2. Milltek Catback ($CAD 3100 ish)

3. AFE Power Mach Force XP Axelback ($CAD 2100 ish)

Does anyone have experiences with above options? Remus is also an option but I really don’t see myself dropping over $CAD 5000 on an exhaust alone.

I was pretty set on Dinan but I found out that it’s a single valve and some people say they don’t really make much differences between open and closed. (Also apparently they are currently heavily back ordered and ETA I got was late Jan 2022. I don’t mind waiting as I won’t be driving my M2 much in Canadian snow though ) I am not too sure about AFE, but both Milltek and Remus seems to be dual valved.

I was able to find some clips of Dinan, Milltek and Remus, but couldn’t find any clips on AFE.

I am looking to get something that’s more than stock but not too crazy as I don’t want to be nuisance to people while I am driving. My good friend has MPE + downpipe (forgot what brand) and I personally think it’s somewhat too loud.

If anyone could guide me or give me a recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koriyuu View Post
Hey everyone,

I have 2017 M2 with stock exhaust.

I am looking into getting some new exhaust for my car, but being in Canada, I don’t have much options due to various reasons.

Options I have are:

1. Dinan w/ resonator delete kit ($CAD 2300 ish)

2. Milltek Catback ($CAD 3100 ish)

3. AFE Power Mach Force XP Axelback ($CAD 2100 ish)

Does anyone have experiences with above options? Remus is also an option but I really don’t see myself dropping over $CAD 5000 on an exhaust alone.

I was pretty set on Dinan but I found out that it’s a single valve and some people say they don’t really make much differences between open and closed. (Also apparently they are currently heavily back ordered and ETA I got was late Jan 2022. I don’t mind waiting as I won’t be driving my M2 much in Canadian snow though ) I am not too sure about AFE, but both Milltek and Remus seems to be dual valved.

I was able to find some clips of Dinan, Milltek and Remus, but couldn’t find any clips on AFE.

I am looking to get something that’s more than stock but not too crazy as I don’t want to be nuisance to people while I am driving. My good friend has MPE + downpipe (forgot what brand) and I personally think it’s somewhat too loud.

If anyone could guide me or give me a recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated!
Save the money and start with just a downpipe, it makes the biggest difference and you may be able to stop there.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN16074.00
Bee Pee1774.00
WOT Bimmer1225.00
      11-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

+1 for an aftermarket downpipe with stock exhaust.

It’ll provide a better performance gain and the sound you’re after while costing significantly less.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1774.00
      11-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

My plan is sport cat and there is an exhaust mod out there I’ll get done if I still want a little more.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:07 AM   #5
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
I had both the full Active Autowerke Catback exhaust system and then Remus Race catback exhaust paired with a Wagner sports cat downpipe on my 2018 N55 M2. Just save your money and buy a downpipe first.

Either any sport cat or get the catless MAD downpipe. Think they are the only manufacturer that properly prices a catless downpipe... https://mad-us.com/mad-n55-downpipe-...2-335-435-4-0/

Just understand that whether you get a sports cat or catless, there will be an extra exhaust smell now.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I'd pick Dinan from that list.

Starting with a downpipe first is not a bad idea either, but if it's not loud enough you're going to miss out on the Black Friday sales going on today

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #7
Koriyuu
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'd pick Dinan from that list.

Starting with a downpipe first is not a bad idea either, but if it's not loud enough you're going to miss out on the Black Friday sales going on today
Thanks for the reply.

Is there specific reason why you would choose Dinan over other options? And as you are an expert with many experiences, does having one valve and two valve makes any differences?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
I had both the full Active Autowerke Catback exhaust system and then Remus Race catback exhaust paired with a Wagner sports cat downpipe on my 2018 N55 M2. Just save your money and buy a downpipe first.

Either any sport cat or get the catless MAD downpipe. Think they are the only manufacturer that properly prices a catless downpipe... https://mad-us.com/mad-n55-downpipe-...2-335-435-4-0/

Just understand that whether you get a sports cat or catless, there will be an extra exhaust smell now.
Agreed . Thanks for the positive comments .. No bmw tax
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Is there specific reason why you would choose Dinan over other options? And as you are an expert with many experiences, does having one valve and two valve makes any differences?
price point, sound, and quality.

Its priced similar to AFE but better quality and sound in my opinion

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #10
Koriyuu
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
price point, sound, and quality.

Its priced similar to AFE but better quality and sound in my opinion
Thanks again for the reply Mike.

I am really torn between Dinan and Milltek at this point. If you have listened to them both and if the price was not a factor, what would you go? Is Milltek a lot louder than Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again for the reply Mike.

I am really torn between Dinan and Milltek at this point. If you have listened to them both and if the price was not a factor, what would you go? Is Milltek a lot louder than Dinan?
I'd still pick Dinan

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #12
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I have run the following exhaust variants:

1. All stock
2. Fabspeed sport cat with stock res and muffler
3. Fabspeed sport cat with Dinan res delete and stock muffler
4. Fabspeed sport cat with Dinan res delete and Dinan muffler
5. Fabspeed sport cat with stock res and Dinan muffler

Out of those options, my favorites were 3, 4, and 5. The Dinan res delete does introduce some drone, but with the exhaust valve fully open you get an amazing spool noise even just above idle.

Anyone who says that the valve doesn't make a difference with the Dinan exhaust either didn't have a sport cat in or didn't live with it long term.

The difference in tone isn't huge, but the volume is a very significant change and any pops are WAY louder.

I personally am going to take my res back out. Getting rid of all the drone was nice, but I miss the aggression and spool noise.

Your first move should absolutely be a sport cat and a valve controller (if you don't have or don't plan to add BootMod3 which has a software based controller). It is the only exhaust mod that will actually increase power/decrease spool. and the sound and tone change are great. The cold-start function is very loud with the sport cat, so I just turned it off in BootMod3.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #13
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Why not just get the M Performance exhaust? I think it is the best option.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #14
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
i had 2 m performance exhaust 1 from new lasted 16k 2nd one on warranty lasted 5k both cracked on the weld on drivers side tail pipes near the the muffler. based on my experience their a shit. look nice, sound nice, fail
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16074.00
      11-26-2021, 09:21 PM   #15
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
Quote:
i had 2 m performance exhaust 1 from new lasted 16k 2nd one on warranty lasted 5k both cracked on the weld on drivers side tail pipes near the the muffler. based on my experience their a shit. look nice, sound nice, fail
I don't think that is normal. I have had no problem.
      11-27-2021, 02:20 AM   #16
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post

1. All stock

Out of those options, my favorites were 3, 4, and 5. The Dinan res delete does introduce some drone, but with the exhaust valve fully open you get an amazing spool noise even just above idle.

Anyone who says that the valve doesn't make a difference with the Dinan exhaust either didn't have a sport cat in or didn't live with it long term.

The difference in tone isn't huge, but the volume is a very significant change and any pops are WAY louder.

I personally am going to take my res back out. Getting rid of all the drone was nice, but I miss the aggression and spool noise.

Your first move should absolutely be a sport cat and a valve controller (if you don't have or don't plan to add BootMod3 which has a software based controller). It is the only exhaust mod that will actually increase power/decrease spool. and the sound and tone change are great. The cold-start function is very loud with the sport cat, so I just turned it off in BootMod3.
I have Dinan paired to the res delete and a catless downpipe. My valve definitely does not work but I can hear it clicking open and closed. No change in volume :/

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:21 AM   #17
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
Quote:
I don't think that is normal. I have had no problem.
there has been several on my fb group. and my tuner has seen a few various other platforms.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:49 AM   #18
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
Quote:

1. All stock

I have Dinan paired to the res delete and a catless downpipe. My valve definitely does not work but I can hear it clicking open and closed. No change in volume :/
I had that problem initially, it's a result of improper installation of the valve.

Make sure the initial position it's installed in is correct, mine was installed with the valve in the open position, but the car thought it was closed, so "opening" made no difference. Get that fixed and you will hear the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:53 AM   #19
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. All stock

I had that problem initially, it's a result of improper installation of the valve.

Make sure the initial position it's installed in is correct, mine was installed with the valve in the open position, but the car thought it was closed, so "opening" made no difference. Get that fixed and you will hear the difference.
I'm using the VSC-1 controller with default set to closed. "On" button opens the valve. I can hear the click and can feel a minor pressure adjustment at the tips but no noticeable volume change. Wouldn't it still work if I were to hit the "Off" button if it was installed incorrectly as you are suggesting?

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:57 AM   #20
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. All stock

I'm using the VSC-1 controller with default set to closed. "On" button opens the valve. I can hear the click and can feel a minor pressure adjustment at the tips but no noticeable volume change. Wouldn't it still work if I were to hit the "Off" button if it was installed incorrectly as you are suggesting?
Nope, I am using a Macht Schnel controller and had the exact same issue. In my case, I brought the car in locked to "open" and they installed the valve. When I brought it back in, I put in the locked closed position and they reinstalled it. Instant fix. The valve won't work properly if it is not properly phased. It was an issue that drove me wild until I talked to some people on here who had also experienced it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:58 AM   #21
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. All stock

Nope, I am using a Macht Schnel controller and had the exact same issue. In my case, I brought the car in locked to "open" and they installed the valve. When I brought it back in, I put in the locked closed position and they reinstalled it. Instant fix. The valve won't work properly if it is not properly phased. It was an issue that drove me wild until I talked to some people on here who had also experienced it.
Ok, I'll have to take a look at it. When you say locked closed do you mean using OBD to close beforehand or physically turning the spring? I know on LCI the valve never really closes in the first place. How big is the difference with valve closed?

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #22
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I'll have to take a look at it. When you say locked closed do you mean using OBD to close beforehand or physically turning the spring? I know on LCI the valve never really closes in the first place. How big is the difference with valve closed?
I was using the Macht Schnell controller set to "closed," so running through the OBD.

The difference in volume is very noticeable at idle, but especially above idle. Especially if you running a sport cat and res delete, with the valve open you will hear a very clear turbo spool just above idle. With the valve closed you will not hear that spool.
Appreciate 0