BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Hifi amp problem

11-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #1
dazwhite
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Hifi amp problem

The onset of colder weather seems to have triggered a problem with the Harman Kardon amplifier. I'm getting loud cracks and pops coming from the speakers, but it seems to go away once the car has warmed up. I gather this seems to be a common issue and have got the car booked in at the dealer but the earliest appointment was several weeks away. In the meantime it's driving me potty and I was wondering if it's a question of just swapping out the amp for a replacement or does it require coding to the car before a new one will work properly? If it just a simple swap I'm tempted to get a recon one off ebay for the time being.

Cheers Darren
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
TheSandman_M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I just had my amp replaced about a month ago. It went out when I had the windows tinted, they covered it under warranty. Had to wait a few weeks for them to find an amp and yes it had to be programed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
KernowBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazwhite View Post
The onset of colder weather seems to have triggered a problem with the Harman Kardon amplifier. I'm getting loud cracks and pops coming from the speakers, but it seems to go away once the car has warmed up. I gather this seems to be a common issue and have got the car booked in at the dealer but the earliest appointment was several weeks away. In the meantime it's driving me potty and I was wondering if it's a question of just swapping out the amp for a replacement or does it require coding to the car before a new one will work properly? If it just a simple swap I'm tempted to get a recon one off ebay for the time being.

Cheers Darren
Check out my previous post, the HK amp is a known issue. My dealer replaced it FOC (apart from labour) as it nearly deafened me, this was on an out of warranty 2017 M2.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #4
dazwhite
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernowBMW View Post
Check out my previous post, the HK amp is a known issue. My dealer replaced it FOC (apart from labour) as it nearly deafened me, this was on an out of warranty 2017 M2.
Mine is an AUC so I'm hoping its all covered as I've only had it 3 months. Seems worse in cold damp weather. Cars going into the dealer next week for them to look at it.

This is usually a painful process as they start off by saying they've done a software update to fix it, then it goes back again because it hasn't, then it takes weeks to get a replacement fitted -
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Mine got replaced 2 months ago (OG 07/18)... It is NOT going to go away, just will get worse and worse.
They charged me 1345 Euros (BMW paid 40 percent of that amount). 2 months out of warranty.

The dealer tried the software update. Didn't help... But it did provide much better steering and a lot more awesome wheelspin off the line (tail happy+)! Great upgrade!!! No, fantastic upgrade!!!

Last edited by 2nd chance; 12-06-2021 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

For anyone who is looking at having to do this out of warranty, maybe consider upgrading to our SoundstageDSP. You'll get better EVERYTHING, not just the amp, for not too much more $$ in total, and you won't have to worry about this happening again.

https://integralaudio.com/soundstage...ies-coupe.html

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      02-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
icloudfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazwhite View Post

Cheers Darren
same issue here.. did you end up swapping with a used one? Im out of warranty so probably want to do the same..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:17 AM   #8
icloudfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

also found this... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61573-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icloudfiles View Post
Corrected link for SI B65 12 19.
There is mention of a splash guard. New to me :-/

Tano posted re: the factory amplifier splash guard some time ago.

AndrewC1989 has notes in his build thread re: the "OEM Amplifier Splash Guard.

Anthony1s added a note on the splash guard.

Ordered the splash guard myself today ;-)

Last edited by Zeese; 02-02-2022 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Link to a pictures
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 07:33 AM   #10
dazwhite
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icloudfiles View Post
same issue here.. did you end up swapping with a used one? Im out of warranty so probably want to do the same..
No, I ended up having to disconnect it, as the noise was so bad, until the dealer replaced it earlier in January. I got it done under the AUC warranty but I think it's a recognised problem so you may get BMW to replace it anyway.

I had a splash guard but it didn't help - I think the amp gets condensation inside it in colder weather.
Appreciate 1
Zeese96.00