BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Does anyone take the 788 wheels off to clean them?

09-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Does anyone take the 788 wheels off to clean them?

The 788M wheels are the most difficult to clean I've ever experienced. Compounding the problem is that they're covered in brake dust just a few days after cleaning them, at least with the stock brake pads. And they look horrible with the red-ish rust colored dust covering the gloss black rims.

I decided to take mine off one at a time time this weekend to thoroughly clean them for the first time since my June 2021 delivery. Took almost 90 minutes start to finish. Given the amount of time involved, I won't be taking them off every time to clean them. But they did look decent afterwards - for the first time since they were new.

Just curious if anyone takes the wheels off to clean them, and how often?
      09-14-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

very timely...this past weekend I did an all wheels off clean, decon, and ceramic coating...no joke, it took me a good 6 hours, I have NEVER had wheels this complicated. Really hoping it helps with maintenance, ie would be amazing if I can just use a good wheel cleaner (some have said Sonax is the best) and a strong blast of water to get it pretty clean, and then do an agitation wash once per month.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
And they look horrible with the red-ish rust colored dust covering the gloss black rims.
The red dust is from the rotor surface rust after washing. These cross drilled rotors seem to rust much more than any previous BMW I've had and combined with the black wheels (I have 437M) they get coated with red dust when driven after a wash.

To minimize the rust dust, I used to use Hyde's Serum Rustopper on the rotors after washing.
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...rust-inhibitor

Other folks drive around after washing but I like to wash and back up into my garage. (I don't want dust on my paint if I'm going to do any further work on the paint).

When Hyde's became unavailable last year I started using Dry Coat Rust Preventative https://www.amazon.com/Armor-Protect...dp/B00DD29BY8/

Both products are decent. As the video in the first link says, it's not a game changer, but it greatly helps reduce rotor rust and minimize the red dust on black wheels.
Appreciate 1
Wakka523.00
      09-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

The thought of washing those wheels makes me not want to start my car wash lol
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
very timely...this past weekend I did an all wheels off clean, decon, and ceramic coating...no joke, it took me a good 6 hours, I have NEVER had wheels this complicated. Really hoping it helps with maintenance, ie would be amazing if I can just use a good wheel cleaner (some have said Sonax is the best) and a strong blast of water to get it pretty clean, and then do an agitation wash once per month.
I wash my car on average about every two refills of gas, or at least once a month. I didn't apply ceramic coating on the wheels, and don't bother with soaps, brushes or mitts when cleaning them. I just spray with a wheel and tire cleaner, let it soak for 5-10 minutes, then do a power wash. I admit it's not as thorough as with using soaps, brushes and mitts but the wheels look shiny and clean and it gets the job done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #6
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk View Post
I wash my car on average about every two refills of gas, or at least once a month. I didn't apply ceramic coating on the wheels, and don't bother with soaps, brushes or mitts when cleaning them. I just spray with a wheel and tire cleaner, let it soak for 5-10 minutes, then do a power wash. I admit it's not as thorough as with using soaps, brushes and mitts but the wheels look shiny and clean and it gets the job done.
That looks good, going to try your procedure and product!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep

Bear in mind that I clean the wheels often and do not let a lot of dust accumulate and settle for a long period of time. I generously spray as much of the nook and crannies of each wheel then move the car about a half a wheel turn then spray some more. Don't hesitate to overspray, a 32 fluid ounce bottle usually lasts me for two cleanings.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

FYI there’s no such thing as a spray and rinse product. If you want 100% clean wheels you need agitation.

Also if you go through the work to properly prep and ceramic your wheels then wheel cleaner is a waste. A good soap and brushes will do the trick. Going with something like sonax after a ceramic is only going to degrade the coating over time and make you reapply sooner.

It’s obviously not ideal, but consistent maintenance is the real key to all detailing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
FYI there’s no such thing as a spray and rinse product. If you want 100% clean wheels you need agitation.

Also if you go through the work to properly prep and ceramic your wheels then wheel cleaner is a waste. A good soap and brushes will do the trick. Going with something like sonax after a ceramic is only going to degrade the coating over time and make you reapply sooner.

It’s obviously not ideal, but consistent maintenance is the real key to all detailing.
I agree that consistent maintenance is the key to detailing. But with wheels, specially the 788, I don't bother with all the steps you mentioned above to clean them. I'm satisfied with the way it looks after a spray and wash and I do not want to spend extra time as they will get dusty rather quickly anyway. I just don't leave the dust on the wheel for a long period which makes it easier to clean them. I'm not as OCD as, and this is an option to others when it comes to cleaning wheels.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
BMW 16 5-0
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I have yet to remove my wheels although I want to! A few weeks ago I finally had the time to do it, so I grabbed by old BMW jack kit from my 135i but the breaker bar and the torque wrench seemed a bit too big and would slip off.

What is the proper mm for the lug nuts????
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW 16 5-0 View Post
I have yet to remove my wheels although I want to! A few weeks ago I finally had the time to do it, so I grabbed by old BMW jack kit from my 135i but the breaker bar and the torque wrench seemed a bit too big and would slip off.

What is the proper mm for the lug nuts????
17mm
Appreciate 0