M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M4 seats swapped into my M2

09-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #67
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Yeh swap them over.

Hope you don't get popping movement with your seats, it's maddening.

I'll have to get it fixed one day by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #68
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Managed to get the install completed this week. Thanks to everyone that contributed
Have now swapped the M4 logo for the correct m2 M2 ones 👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Kattanah137.50
      09-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #69
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post
Managed to get the install completed this week. Thanks to everyone that contributed
How did you get the badges to light up? I have yet to find any info on this just questions congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #70
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
Quote:
How did you get the badges to light up? I have yet to find any info on this just questions congrats!
So you need to add an extra pin into the yellow connector that plugs into the bottom of the seat.

This is pin 7, you'll see a terminal in that location for the seat side but obviously not on the vehicle wiring harness.

The part for the terminal is 61130005197, crimp one of these on to a good length of wire. The wire can then be routed to follow the oem wiring harness. I did this while the seats were still out. Removed the plastic trims at the edge of the carpet, ran the wire up the edge of the car to the footwell.

Removed the lower trim panel under the dash and utilised the feed for the footwell lamp. So the footwell light has 4 wires, one earth brown or brown with a trace. Two others that are mainly white with either red or blue trace (these feed ambient light either white or the orange) and then the final wire is red or red with a trace (sorry can't remember exactly) forgot pics also. This one you can tap into for your seat illumination.

Tidy up wiring, secure in place with zip ties if needed and re fit panels. Then repeat for the other side.

So now the seat light works at the same time as the footwell light. So when a door is opened or the main full interior lights are on.

This is not quite the factory method as this would be wired into the FEM control unit.
But my method I found fairly straight forward as I could keep them separate on each side as the other way would need both wires running to one control unit.

I would recommend doing this with the battery disconnected and the seat out. Any more info give me a shout.
Appreciate 3
Kattanah137.50
Poffman493.00
      09-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #71
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you need to add an extra pin into the yellow connector that plugs into the bottom of the seat.

This is pin 7, you'll see a terminal in that location for the seat side but obviously not on the vehicle wiring harness.

The part for the terminal is 61130005197, crimp one of these on to a good length of wire. The wire can then be routed to follow the oem wiring harness. I did this while the seats were still out. Removed the plastic trims at the edge of the carpet, ran the wire up the edge of the car to the footwell.

Removed the lower trim panel under the dash and utilised the feed for the footwell lamp. So the footwell light has 4 wires, one earth brown or brown with a trace. Two others that are mainly white with either red or blue trace (these feed ambient light either white or the orange) and then the final wire is red or red with a trace (sorry can't remember exactly) forgot pics also. This one you can tap into for your seat illumination.

Tidy up wiring, secure in place with zip ties if needed and re fit panels. Then repeat for the other side.

So now the seat light works at the same time as the footwell light. So when a door is opened or the main full interior lights are on.

This is not quite the factory method as this would be wired into the FEM control unit.
But my method I found fairly straight forward as I could keep them separate on each side as the other way would need both wires running to one control unit.

I would recommend doing this with the battery disconnected and the seat out. Any more info give me a shout.
Wow thank you very much!! I will give this a go and report back for sure. Headed out on express rally next week so it'll have to wait til I'm home!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #72
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I did a whole driving course two days ago and was never aware of popping from the seat. Only thing different is adjusted my chair to be slightly closer to the wheel, maybe the thread in one area is damaged and has play? Moving it into thread in better condition has eliminated it?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #73
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@StealthnShadow
Your pm inbox is full, see above for seat illumination
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #74
rowey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG

can you do the m4/m2c swap with no problems into an OG M2?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:33 PM   #75
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowey View Post
can you do the m4/m2c swap with no problems into an OG M2?
Yes. Just make sure you use the underseat modules from your original seats (and make sure the battery is disconnected before you unplug anything...)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #76
rowey
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Hi could really do with a few pointers from you about this swap for my OG m2
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #77
rowey
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Yes. Just make sure you use the underseat modules from your original seats (and make sure the battery is disconnected before you unplug anything...)
Understood. I'm desperate to do something about it asap as the standard seats are pretty crap

Also just to be certain, the m4 rear seats just need a bracket to then be fitted without any other modifications?

Last edited by rowey; 09-20-2021 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #78
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Understood. I'm desperate to do something about it asap as the standard seats are pretty crap

Also just to be certain, the m4 rear seats just need a bracket to then be fitted without any other modifications?
As I fitted M2C front seats with the blue stitching, I left the rears alone.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:57 AM   #79
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi could really do with a few pointers from you about this swap for my OG m2
There's a detailed post on this thread with pics - super easy
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 04:44 AM   #80
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
See this thread also:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...603&page=8

Has some more info about the rear
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:16 AM   #81
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

for you guys that are swapping these in, does it straighten out the crooked seats?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 03:45 AM   #82
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
for you guys that are swapping these in, does it straighten out the crooked seats?
Nope. I have to admit sometimes I do notice this and get annoyed /uncomfortable, stupid BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 06:36 AM   #83
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Well, noting I have the 6MT, it seems more that the pedals are offset than the seat being squint.

Just be happy you didn't try retrofitting the the Carbon Fibre-shelled buckets from the current M4...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #84
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Well, noting I have the 6MT, it seems more that the pedals are offset than the seat being squint.

Just be happy you didn't try retrofitting the the Carbon Fibre-shelled buckets from the current M4...
How tough is it?

That is if you can find them.
      12-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #85
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
How tough is it?

Well, availability aside, probably no more difficult as a retrofit than seats from the M2C, it's just that the shape of the seat frame would - in conjunction with the offset pedals - make for a notably uncomfortable driving position.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #86
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How tough is it?

Well, availability aside, probably no more difficult as a retrofit than seats from the M2C, it's just that the shape of the seat frame would - in conjunction with the offset pedals - make for a notably uncomfortable driving position.
The buttons may not work. The M2C and M4 are a stupid simple swap into OG.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #87
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How tough is it?

The buttons may not work. The M2C and M4 are a stupid simple swap into OG.
Definitely.

I have the M2C seats in.

For the price of the G series carbon seats I can do a lot of other mods!!
      01-06-2023, 10:01 PM   #88
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Got my comp seats installed! Thanks for all the good info here, it made it very easy.

SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 2
Poffman493.00
Stylin.M2262.50