BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Maintenance Schedule

10-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Maintenance Schedule

Just picked up a used 2016 M2 and cant find the official maintenance schedule. I want to make sure I do everything recommended. Tried google and couldnt locate. Any suggestions? Im just at 50k miles, so I know some things are due.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

In my M2 the service details are available in iDrive menu
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

its a CBS system. there is no set maintenance schedule like older traditional cars. It will tell you when maintenance needs to be done.

Beyond that do your research on basic N55 failures to do any preemptive work if you want
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
In my M2 the service details are available in iDrive menu
This is the correct answer. It is also condition based and estimates may change over time.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

First thing id suggest is, depending on mileage, DCT fluid (assuming its a dct and not a manual) and engine oil. Im very overzealous with maintenance... maybe a crack head on it. Blew my mind to hear BMW say the trans fluid is lifetime. I gave ZF a call and was told 30k intervals on the DCT fluid.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Depending on what previous owner did [if you have a way to find out] or what dealer can show on record would help a lot. Someone may not have maintained it will, or on other hand has been most zealous.
With your "yearage" [Zkeeper dictionary], might wish along with lube fluids, double check on whether brake flush has been done...usually every couple of years, its due or best anyway. And just re-read 50K on clock: you might wish to consider plugs, though some will disagree. I am as "saint" above -- I like PM's on all my cars, and this one is special.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:25 AM   #7
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
First thing id suggest is, depending on mileage, DCT fluid (assuming its a dct and not a manual) and engine oil. Im very overzealous with maintenance... maybe a crack head on it. Blew my mind to hear BMW say the trans fluid is lifetime. I gave ZF a call and was told 30k intervals on the DCT fluid.
You called ZF! A true enthusiast!
Wow, from lifetime to 30k, quite a difference!

My BMW mechanic told me, dont do plugs or coil packs until they go bad, no reason to open everything up for those and they tend to last much longer than BMW claims (no idea if its true).

He mentioned he's not worked on too many M2's yet but for most BMW's would likely do: coolant flush, dct flush (says its tricky), diff. fluid flush, brake flush, and says maybe fuel filter & maybe belts (but not sure on the m2), and would look at suspension bushings.
This sound about right and complete to you guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Quote:

My BMW mechanic told me, dont do plugs or coil packs until they go bad, no reason to open everything up for those and they tend to last much longer than BMW claims (no idea if its true).

He mentioned he's not worked on too many M2's yet but for most BMW's would likely do: coolant flush, dct flush (says its tricky), diff. fluid flush, brake flush, and says maybe fuel filter & maybe belts (but not sure on the m2), and would look at suspension bushings.
ZF actually released a video to encourage owners to do frequent DCT fluid changes since car makers kept saying they have "lifetime" fluid and ZF didn't want to be known as unreliable because automakers are giving owners bad info. I love ZF.

As for plugs do them every 30k. 15k if you're tuned.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
ZF actually released a video to encourage owners to do frequent DCT fluid changes since car makers kept saying they have "lifetime" fluid and ZF didn't want to be known as unreliable because automakers are giving owners bad info. I love ZF.

Awesome, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see any evidence that dct fluid needs to be done every 30k, 50k, or even 100k. The oil coming out of the DCTs at pretty much any milage looks good according to all oil analysis I've seen in the m2 boards, f8x m3 m4 boards, and e9X m3 boards.

See posts here with actual data from fluid.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...817&page=2
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see any evidence that dct fluid needs to be done every 30k, 50k, or even 100k. The oil coming out of the DCTs at pretty much any milage looks good according to all oil analysis I've seen in the m2 boards, f8x m3 m4 boards, and e9X m3 boards.

See posts here with actual data from fluid.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...817&page=2
Hmm. I might be mixing up and thinking about ZF's regular auto tranny then. I can't find the video I watched but it was from ZF at an auto convention or something and they wanted to spread the word that automakers were wrong about "lifetime" transmission fluid.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #12
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Hmm. I might be mixing up and thinking about ZF's regular auto tranny then. I can't find the video I watched but it was from ZF at an auto convention or something and they wanted to spread the word that automakers were wrong about "lifetime" transmission fluid.
Yes, ZF themselves said to definitely change this fluid.... they also made a video, ill try to find a link.
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
2013E92M3ZCP
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, ZF themselves said to definitely change this fluid.... they also made a video, ill try to find a link.
Definitely want to see where they said that for the DCT.
2006 M3 6MT (Sold)
2004 S2000 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 12:05 AM   #14
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

Quote:
Yeah it would have to be the normal Auto box. The issue with leaving the oil for a long time and changing is some of the fluid fins in the gearbox, the gunk gets unsettled and blocks the veins which then can leave a gearbox useless. This usually happens on high mileage automatic gearboxes that has never had an oil change and then suddenly has an oil change.

People then blame the new oil or the gearbox manufacturer when it's neithers fault.

On auto boxes, you either change the fluid regularly, or not at all.

DCT doesn't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #15
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattens View Post
Yeah it would have to be the normal Auto box. The issue with leaving the oil for a long time and changing is some of the fluid fins in the gearbox, the gunk gets unsettled and blocks the veins which then can leave a gearbox useless. This usually happens on high mileage automatic gearboxes that has never had an oil change and then suddenly has an oil change.

People then blame the new oil or the gearbox manufacturer when it's neithers fault.

On auto boxes, you either change the fluid regularly, or not at all.

DCT doesn't have this issue.
Does that mean DCT oil changes are not necessary at all then?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
Wattens
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Does that mean DCT oil changes are not necessary at all then?
I personally would but pretty much because of age of the oil (most DCT fluids have an acceptable shelf life of around 5 years before fallout happens, sometimes earlier if the car isn't driven much) rather than anything else. It's not so much a mileage thing for me.
When mine gets to around 5 years maximum (if I still have it then), I'll get it flushed and changed.
From a wear aspect, although the filter and magnetism should stop most of these issues from causing more problems, it's not 100%, and to also test at the same time and measure what wear metals and how much are present at the time to see if there is a more costly issue starting to creep up.

No gearbox at the moment is "fill for life" in any technology. What is fill for life? From an OEM aspect, it is merely the warranty period and nothing more. Usually, when cars finish their manufacturer's warranty, it's not their problem anymore. OEM's are under pressure to get fleet business as that is where the market is going in the developed world. If there is less maintenance in the "fleet period" usually less than 5 years, it makes that vehicle more attractive to the fleet companies, the issues will happen to the cars but from their perspective, hopefully after the fleet companies have turned the vehicle over to a second-hand private owner or the private buyer who bought it new has upgraded to the next model before any issues have occurred.

Then the spare parts division kicks in to play with very expensive genuine OEM parts aimed at the second and third owner of the vehicle.

Full disclosure, I'm an automotive lubricant product manager for ExxonMobil. OEM's are using my product range in their factory fills and I've had lengthy discussions at different levels about this but they don't care about the wrong use of "fill for life".
Appreciate 3
MetalMK228.50
smknjoe234.00
lab_rat394.50
      11-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #17
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattens View Post
I personally would but pretty much because of age of the oil (most DCT fluids have an acceptable shelf life of around 5 years before fallout happens, sometimes earlier if the car isn't driven much) rather than anything else. It's not so much a mileage thing for me.
When mine gets to around 5 years maximum (if I still have it then), I'll get it flushed and changed.
From a wear aspect, although the filter and magnetism should stop most of these issues from causing more problems, it's not 100%, and to also test at the same time and measure what wear metals and how much are present at the time to see if there is a more costly issue starting to creep up.

No gearbox at the moment is "fill for life" in any technology. What is fill for life? From an OEM aspect, it is merely the warranty period and nothing more. Usually, when cars finish their manufacturer's warranty, it's not their problem anymore. OEM's are under pressure to get fleet business as that is where the market is going in the developed world. If there is less maintenance in the "fleet period" usually less than 5 years, it makes that vehicle more attractive to the fleet companies, the issues will happen to the cars but from their perspective, hopefully after the fleet companies have turned the vehicle over to a second-hand private owner or the private buyer who bought it new has upgraded to the next model before any issues have occurred.

Then the spare parts division kicks in to play with very expensive genuine OEM parts aimed at the second and third owner of the vehicle.

Full disclosure, I'm an automotive lubricant product manager for ExxonMobil. OEM's are using my product range in their factory fills and I've had lengthy discussions at different levels about this but they don't care about the wrong use of "fill for life".
Thank you for your detailed writeup I am not a fan of "out of warranty is none of my business" strategy by the manufacturers, but I understand why they did it.

By replacing DCT fluid every 5 years, do you mean 5 years after the manufacture date or my purchase date, since my car sat in the dealership for a while before I bought it.

Btw, how often do you usually change your engine oil on your M2? I drive around 10,000km (6,200mi) per year and it is mostly city driving. I don't drive really hard but not like a grandpa. So I am wondering if I should get an oil change between the BMW maintenance plan of once per year. And should I also replace the rear diff fluid with the DCT fluid (every 5 years)?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #18
Wattens
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Thank you for your detailed writeup I am not a fan of "out of warranty is none of my business" strategy by the manufacturers, but I understand why they did it.

By replacing DCT fluid every 5 years, do you mean 5 years after the manufacture date or my purchase date, since my car sat in the dealership for a while before I bought it.

Btw, how often do you usually change your engine oil on your M2? I drive around 10,000km (6,200mi) per year and it is mostly city driving. I don't drive really hard but not like a grandpa. So I am wondering if I should get an oil change between the BMW maintenance plan of once per year. And should I also replace the rear diff fluid with the DCT fluid (every 5 years)?
1 year on DCT fluid usually won't make much difference, so no need to do it right on 5 years, it's only a guide.

Diff fluid you shouldn't need to change but you can if you feel more comfortable.

There is no need to change your oil earlier than the advised intervals unless you are doing a whole lot of short journeys not letting the car get up to full operating temperature to be able to evaporate off the condensation of water that forms in the engine. In reality, you can drive a lot more mileage than what the service interval says for engine oil (depending on if the right specification has been put in, the car doesn't frequent the track, a reputable brand has been used, and the vehicle doesn't do heaps of short journeys).

I'd still change it at maximum every 24 months with no exception, doesn't matter what mileage it's done, even if it's been sat still for 24 months.

FYI there are heavy-duty engine oils in trucks now getting over 300,000km without oil deterioration. Yes different drain capacity and driving habbit, but I bet you didn't know that until now. Most logistics lorrys in Europe can easily exceed 100,000km before even considering an engine oil change. They tend to do an oil analysis and only change when the additives or wear metals detected start to rise.
Appreciate 2
MetalMK228.50
lab_rat394.50
      11-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #19
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Why would you call ZF about the DCT fill? Getrag makes the DCT for BMW
Appreciate 5
Megator517.50
2M497.50
Poochie9099.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      01-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #20
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

greasypeanut yeah...was thinking the same... Interested to see what Getrag would say. Following this as my car is due for a "big service" as a service advisor told me at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #21
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I don't see any evidence that dct fluid needs to be done every 30k, 50k, or even 100k.
Surely not! It's a fluid, which breaks down over time like any other lubricant. Let alone it contains metal cogs rotating against each other, producing micro-metallic chunks, causing increased wear. This combined with the above means all automotive fluids require scheduled replacement.

Aren't the increased scheduled-durations are a result of BMW's packaged plans, where they are now paying for the maintenance on most of their cars now?
Appreciate 0