BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Any catastrophic failures with tuning?

11-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Any catastrophic failures with tuning?

I'm thinking of adding the following mods:

Akrapovic catted downpipe
VRSF charge pipe
Wagner intercooler
BM3 stage 2 tune

I don't think I'm pushing the car to its limits, but I am aware of the risks associated with aftermarket tuning. But I'd like to hear from those who've had MAJOR breakdowns (blown engine, etc.) as a result of a similar setup. Am I being too much of a p**sy? LOL

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post

VRSF charge pipe
Wagner intercooler
BM3 stage 2 tune

I don't think I'm pushing the car to its limits, but I am aware of the risks associated with aftermarket tuning. But I'd like to hear from those who've had MAJOR breakdowns (blown engine, etc.) as a result of a similar setup. Am I being too much of a p**sy? LOL

I only recall one post with a catastrophic failure and they were tuned on the track. Car went into limp mode, they shut it off, turned back on and continued to drive on the track. Had super knock.

Unknown if the failure was related to tune or it was just a weak engine.
Appreciate 1
hz101169.50
      11-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I only recall one post with a catastrophic failure and they were tuned on the track. Car went into limp mode, they shut it off, turned back on and continued to drive on the track. Had super knock.

Yikes! Not planning to ever track my car, but such stories do make me nervous
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

98% will depend on who tunes your car. Mechanically, people have taken the stock n55 block to 600-700whp without issues.

But strongest engine in the world can't protect itself from crap tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

Yikes! Not planning to ever track my car, but such stories do make me nervous
Keep in mind that if he had stopped tracking the car after limp mode the first time and investigated it might never have failed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm doing BM3, AA or custom tuning by Frank Smith
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:

that failure was the driver's fault 100% for ignoring the fact that the car told him something wasn't right MULTIPLE times, but hey, sometimes people are just gonna send it because google didnt tell them anything was really wrong... I still laugh when I think of that thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Log your car properly and verify your fuel is up to snuff. If you do that and all the recommended supporting mods it will be safe.
Appreciate 1
hz101169.50
      11-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Apparently Dinan's n55 flash tune will be out soon, but has anyone tried the following Carbahn tune by Steve Dinan:

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...56lb-ft-fw-tq/

I think the $500 factory matching warranty would be worth the money if the tune is decent.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

VRSF charge pipe
Wagner intercooler
BM3 stage 2 tune

Your mod path is tried and true, MANY people have run this type of set-up with no issues whatsoever. I doubt you'll find a single engine failure with these exact mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Your mod path is tried and true, MANY people have run this type of set-up with no issues whatsoever. I doubt you'll find a single engine failure with these exact mods.
That's music to my ears lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

You mean get super knocking like mine?

If you get this at the track even if the engine doesn't die the piston is likely to be cracked either way.

But keep in mind that super knocking and knocking is not the same.

Next time I go back to my mechanic I will try to capture how bad the piston was. They took it out but I forgot to take a picture last time.

To that point, I don't recall anyone that saw my logs for that day indicated any issues with knocking or octane.

IAT was an issue though.

Logging will help with regular knocking but not super knocking.

Don't use BMW supplied oil. This was one of variables that changed from my usual track days and likely contributed to oil intrusion causing the hot spot on the side of the piston.

If you run really sticky tires stay out of lower half of RPM range. LSPI is another major variable that leads to super knocking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

maybe I should go with a tune that comes with warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 05:59 AM   #14
Cornally
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M2

Quote:
maybe I should go with a tune that comes with warranty
If you want to feel a bit better about the longevity of these engines tuned, visit a Subaru forum. I'm speaking from years of experience with a tuned 06 STI where I saw "blown ringland" threads pop up weekly'ish. Get a custom tune if you're overly concerned.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #15
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acl26 View Post
If you get this at the track...

...This was one of variables that changed from my usual track days and likely contributed to oil intrusion causing the hot spot on the side of the piston.

If you run really sticky tires stay out of lower half of RPM range.
Track Rat's can expect issues, his OTS mods won't be part of that.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornally View Post
If you want to feel a bit better about the longevity of these engines tuned, visit a Subaru forum. I'm speaking from years of experience with a tuned 06 STI where I saw "blown ringland" threads pop up weekly'ish. Get a custom tune if you're overly concerned.
How would a custom tune be better? Are you saying I should tell the tuner to keep it less aggressive?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Get a proven tune, run the recommended map and you will be fine

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
How would a custom tune be better? Are you saying I should tell the tuner to keep it less aggressive?
The tune is made for your car with your mods running the gas you have in your area. OTS tunes are generic to all vehicles whereas custom tunes are specific to your vehicle only. You log wide open pulls and send to your tuner. He makes adjustments depending on what he sees and sends them back to you. Lather, rinse and repeat.

Last edited by cecaa850; 11-08-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
hz101169.50
      11-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #19
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
The tune is made for your car with your mods running the gas you have in your area. OTS tunes are generic to all vehicles whereas custom tunes are specific to your vehicle only. You log wide open pulls and send to your tuner. He makes adjustments depending on what he sees and sends them back to you. Lather, rinse and repeat.
In 2005 I would have agreed with you, but today's OTS tunes are pretty mod and gas-specific, and made to be very safe for the masses. Custom tunes do NOT add safety over OTS maps, they simply add HP/TQ via MORE aggressive tuning, not less. And many times these gains are at the expense of driveability.
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      11-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
In 2005 I would have agreed with you, but today's OTS tunes are pretty mod and gas-specific, and made to be very safe for the masses. Custom tunes do NOT add safety over OTS maps, they simply add HP/TQ via MORE aggressive tuning, not less. And many times these gains are at the expense of driveability.

Is there a tune specifically for bigger turbos? I've asked several times and they always say that one is in the works but don't know when it'll be out. There's so many variables. No two people have the exact same mods. I'll bet that no one on this forum has the same specific set up that I do. Probably not the same as you either if you're running anything other than stock. Custom tunes don't have to be aggressive or they can be very aggressive, it all depends on what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #21
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
i disagree with statement...a custom tune can be anything..it can be more safer then a OTS tune because its customized to your specific engine with the local gas your using. Not all engines act exactly the same way even with the same parts.

a custom dyno tune would be the safest kind of tune depending on your tuner. Most people opt for highest hp as possible dyno tune so they can brag, but more seasoned people know go reliability, drivability and then power in the tune.

like i said in my original post you need to have a reliable well informed tuner, that will make or break the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #22
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Is there a tune specifically for bigger turbos? I've asked several times and they always say that one is in the works but don't know when it'll be out. There's so many variables. No two people have the exact same mods. I'll bet that no one on this forum has the same specific set up that I do. Probably not the same as you either if you're running anything other than stock. Custom tunes don't have to be aggressive or they can be very aggressive, it all depends on what you're looking for.
If you're going custom turbo, then yeah, custom tune. My comments were about a largely stock car, save for the IC, DP, and gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i disagree with statement...a custom tune can be anything...
But it's usually not. No one wastes money on a custom tune that they can get with an OTS tune unless they are doing non-standard mods, or want to wring the most power out of the car.

I think we can agree to disagree here, as I agree that a custom tune can be just as safe as an OTS tune (or safer), it's just that it's usually not. The whole reason the companies that make OTS tunes are in business is because of how safe their tunes usually are.
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50