BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Comfort access

07-17-2023, 12:56 AM   #23
aroundelway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
No. It’s removed simply to give off the impression of weight savings and to pad BMWs margin on this already highly profitable model
No it’s removed because the module lives under the center arm rest which is deleted with the cs. I wonder where they hid it with this mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 05:46 AM   #24
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
I wouldn't say far greater. If you add the price of the cf roof, hood, shift tunnel, alcantara trim/wheel, 763 with cup 2s and diffuser/lip then you're nearing 20k. And that's before you add labor for the install of everything. The remaining value from it's uniqueness and rareness and honestly the MSRP of 85 is not that unreasonable
BMW isn’t paying nearly 20k, they aren’t paying retail prices for parts, they’re probably paying 40% off list or more.

Of course we’re all speculating, but BMW is a global corporation in it to maximize shareholder value, every vehicle they produce needs to have a business case. Removal of any features on the CS to give it the race car feel is felt right at the bottom line, in a positive way. I’m not knocking BMW for that or knocking the car itself, it’s great, but that’s just my opinion of the reality on why the CS exists.
Appreciate 1
chris7197353.00
      07-17-2023, 05:46 AM   #25
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Well the module is probably relocated in the CS, but CA does exist in the form of the key since the F8x doesn't have a key slot as the E9x, so someplace is the module plus the antennas for the interior and the trunk. So the car does have the interior functioning "CA" with key cognition. All it would need are the antennas for external recognition and the door handles plus coding most likely...in other words not as hard of a job as retrofitting an E9x to CA.

On the E9x there are a total of four antennas three of which are for interior functioning: front center console, rear deck, and trunk. The fourth is located in middle of the rear bumper for exterior recognition.

However, I find it hard to fathom BMW would have relocated the CA module unless they did so with an plugged extension wiring (in other words not a whole new wiring harness specific to the CS model). In any event, it wouldn't take much effort to find the module if it has in fact been relocated. It wouldn't surprise me if the exact same module is used since it already has all the interior function. It "might" be as simple as adding the door handles, the exterior antenna and coding..."might."

PDF on CA for earlier models link fwiw: https://www.m3post.com/forums/attach...0&d=1231143251

Edit: It looks like on the F22/F87 there are three external antennas (one in each door (likely in trim below doors) and one in rear bumper) and then the three antennas for interior recognition: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_2315
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8

Last edited by CSBM5; 07-17-2023 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
Reddevils71036.50
      07-17-2023, 11:26 AM   #26
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2020 F87 M2CS  [8.56]
2010 E92 M3  [8.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
BMW isn’t paying nearly 20k, they aren’t paying retail prices for parts, they’re probably paying 40% off list or more.

Of course we’re all speculating, but BMW is a global corporation in it to maximize shareholder value, every vehicle they produce needs to have a business case. Removal of any features on the CS to give it the race car feel is felt right at the bottom line, in a positive way. I’m not knocking BMW for that or knocking the car itself, it’s great, but that’s just my opinion of the reality on why the CS exists.
Yeah that makes sense but I was talking more from a consumer point of view not manufacturer in terms of pricing
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #27
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

The module that deals with the comfort access is the FEM, they certainly did NOT remove that. Not sure where previous comments come from.

The interior antennas are already there, since you're not sticking the key anywhere to start the car, the key fob communicates via the interior ones.

You can retrofit comfort access by adding the exterior antennas (easy to find as those were used on every BMW), the handles, the wiring, and coding.
You can choose to skip the trunk antenna if you want.

I am doing this retrofit to my F55 Mini Cooper since I've gotten so used to comfort access. 2x handles, 2x antennas + holders, wiring, and coding.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
(K)1279.50
      07-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #28
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I've had this car for over two years (weekend car) and I still forget to unlock the car before pulling on the door handle. I thought about the Bimmer tech retrofit, but don't really feel like tearing the car apart.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 07:22 AM   #29
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post

It’s not really a race car feel for me. I would strip and mod an OG M2 for that.

It’s more of a back to basics, no big screens, real gauges, 6MT like the cars I grew up driving in the 90s and 2000s, but with more power than I need. Comfort access is one of the tech features I do enjoy. Apple CarPlay and the Harmon Kardon are also must haves for me. Everything else my X5 has in terms of tech, that the CS doesn’t is a distraction for me. (e.g., stupid hand gesture volume, brake warning, and lane control ).

The F87C fits the same bill, but the upgraded leather was a big deal for me. As are the wheels, hood, roof, and of course exclusivity.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #30
simontemplar90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
It’s not really a race car feel for me. I would strip and mod an OG M2 for that.

It’s more of a back to basics, no big screens, real gauges, 6MT like the cars I grew up driving in the 90s and 2000s, but with more power than I need. Comfort access is one of the tech features I do enjoy. Apple CarPlay and the Harmon Kardon are also must haves for me. Everything else my X5 has in terms of tech, that the CS doesn’t is a distraction for me. (e.g., stupid hand gesture volume, brake warning, and lane control ).

The F87C fits the same bill, but the upgraded leather was a big deal for me. As are the wheels, hood, roof, and of course exclusivity.
I couldn’t agree more. I had a g80 spec build on order that I canceled, in favor of buying the M2cs. Yes it doesn’t have all the fancy tech, but it certainly feels more special. In my area, I probably see 1-2 g80s every day, but never another CS. The car is not only unique, but has more of a visceral feel when I drive it. That to me makes my choice hands down, an easy one 👍
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1492.50