BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > My thoughts on 2018 M2 LCI, coming from E90 M3 ZCP

04-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #23
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
Enjoyed the write up, thank you.

I have to agree with dcmac...after driving both an OG and M2C, the N55 exhaust note was the primary deciding factor in my purchase.

The car is the perfect balance for my driving needs and wants. Hope it is the same for you!
You bought a car based on the exhaust note?
I get it it's the whole package but the exhaust note out weighing all the pros of the m2c?
Hey whatever floats your boat!
Yes the OGM2 is that special.

And the sound is absolutely intoxicating.
dcmac438.50
      04-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #24
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Maybe if that's the only car you've driven lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:38 AM   #25
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

The steering feel and chassis is way better in the M2C than the OG M2... fortunately it’s less than a 3 hour job to retrofit the parts and make the OG M2 drive the same. With the M2C steering coding as well you end up with 99% the same handling.

Anyone who hasn’t done the strut brace retrofit is seriously missing out. If you’ve spent money upgrading suspension first, I’d say that you’ve done it the wrong way round. Nothing wrong with coil overs, but the strut brace makes such an enormous difference that it’s a must do in my opinion.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 3
dcmac438.50
admranger2984.50
      04-18-2020, 04:39 AM   #26
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I also went from E92 M3 to 18 M2. Don't have the M2 anymore now but planning to buy another of each once the bigger plans pan out.
Sticking to the N55 M2 again because sounds is a very important factor for me and the S55 is terrible. All the oem upgrades the M2C has such as brakes and seats, I'll be changing anyways.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #27
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The steering feel and chassis is way better in the M2C than the OG M2... fortunately it's less than a 3 hour job to retrofit the parts and make the OG M2 drive the same. With the M2C steering coding as well you end up with 99% the same handling.

Anyone who hasn't done the strut brace retrofit is seriously missing out. If you've spent money upgrading suspension first, I'd say that you've done it the wrong way round. Nothing wrong with coil overs, but the strut brace makes such an enormous difference that it's a must do in my opinion.
Exactly.

Although I frankly felt without the strut brace and steering coding the OG M2 was already 90% of the way there.

The trade off of better handling for a sound I didn't care for, that would also cost me over an extra $10k, wasn't worth it to me.

Besides, I figured I'd get an essentially new OG M2 before I couldn't anymore, and drive that for a few years. Then I can always snag a lightly used M2C and ultimately enjoy the best of both worlds. Win. Win.

I'll never understand people judging other people for why they enjoy or purchase a car. We all have our own personal tastes. Like food or wine. Just be happy that your fellow bimmer drivers are enjoying what they like
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Bobh5952.00
      04-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #28
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep

I bought the m2c because of the grille. That's it. Don't care for bigger brakes, better engine, along with any other upgrades. Don't care how you waste your money as you probably don't care how I waste mine. I only scratch my head at how some thinks crappy turbo exhaust sound is the deciding factor to not buy a S55 powered car. I guess they scratch their head why I chose the m2c for the grille over the OGM2.
Appreciate 2
tranck500.50
pooyab330.00
      04-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #29
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Maybe if that's the only car you've driven lol.
I am strictly comparing it to the M2C silly

04-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #30
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, Macan S, 911 C2S

Quote:
I bought the m2c because of the grille. That's it. Don't care for bigger brakes, better engine, along with any other upgrades. Don't care how you waste your money as you probably don't care how I waste mine. I only scratch my head at how some thinks crappy turbo exhaust sound is the deciding factor to not buy a S55 powered car. I guess they scratch their head why I chose the m2c for the grille over the OGM2.
You bought a car for the grille? This post makes me feel poor!

I bought a OG M2 because I didn't want to spend an extra 20k on a M2C. That's about it. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #31
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Enjoyed that read, and great looking M3! I would hold on to that if you can.

I do agree the N55 sounds better, I bought my 2018 M2 for my mini Turo fleet (which I now am pulling slowly out of) and I liked the car but wasn't head over heels for it. Then I drove the M2C and it just did it for me, even if not as great sounding. Nonetheless, fortunate to be able to drive both.
      04-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #32
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmalley92 View Post
You bought a car for the grille? This post makes me feel poor!
I'm just being an ass. Everyone has their weird reason why they bought x over y and just think it's a bit ridiculous that some would say the sound swayed them. I had a E90 S65 M3 which sounded way better than modern turbo engines but would never say that's what kept me on that platform, so many pluses and so many minuses to each and I ended up with this 'terrible' sounding s55 m2c. Oh how I loathe everytime it fires up and wish I had another car because it sounded slightly worse than a n55 (still subjective).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #33
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I bought a OG M2 because I didn't want to spend an extra 20k on a M2C. That's about it. Lol.
Like there's nothing wrong with can't affording the extra for m2c, such a good logical and responsible reasoning for not spending more. If someone rich dood was gonna give you either a OG M2 or a M2C I don't think it's going to boil down to the sound that someone chose a OG M2 when they can have a choice of a car for free.

K I'm done being an ass. Please enjoy that exotic N55 sound. I am going for a drive and hate every second of it because S55.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #34
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, Macan S, 911 C2S

Quote:
Like there's nothing wrong with can't affording the extra for m2c, such a good logical and responsible reasoning for not spending more. If someone rich dood was gonna give you either a OG M2 or a M2C I don't think it's going to boil down to the sound that someone chose a OG M2 when they can have a choice of a car for free.

K I'm done being an ass. Please enjoy that exotic N55 sound. I am going for a drive and hate every second of it because S55.
Lol. I think your responses are great because you know what gets on N55 guys nerves.

If I was willing to spend the extra money, I would buy an M2 comp all day everyday.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #35
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol. I think your responses are great because you know what gets on N55 guys nerves.

If I was willing to spend the extra money, I would buy an M2 comp all day everyday.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #36
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Same here, I really don't care for the loud, attention-grabbing burbles that the M2C produces but if money wasn't a thing, I would take a S55 M2C over the standard M2, in a heartbeat!

The S55 obviously has a more robust motor, that can handle a lot more top-end power, without running out of steam, as in the N55 does, which is 1,000,000X more important to me, than a silly exhaust note or the style of the grille; after all, It's an M2, not a Ferrari, the emphasis is more go than show, for that price point.

I'm like 9 months away from paying off for my car. So to me, it makes little sense to start a new loan, when I'm almost payment free but if I was in the market for a new car, the M2C would be a no-brainer, even it sounded like a vuvuzela.
Appreciate 2
qnet680.50
      04-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #37
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Same here, I really don't care for the loud, attention-grabbing burbles that the M2C produces but if money wasn't a thing, I would take a S55 M2C over the standard M2, in a heartbeat!

The S55 obviously has a more robust motor, that can handle a lot more top-end power, without running out of steam, as in the N55 does, which is 1,000,000X more important to me, than a silly exhaust note or the style of the grille; after all, It's an M2, not a Ferrari, the emphasis is more go than show, for that price point.

I'm like 9 months away from paying off for my car. So to me, it makes little sense to start a new loan, when I'm almost payment free but if I was in the market for a new car, the M2C would be a no-brainer, even it sounded like a vuvuzela.
Let’s be honest here. If I was to buy a new car right now, I would buy an M2C. You can only get a used OG M2. The M2C is the best drivers car in BMWs current lineup. For most of us using the OG M2 as a daily driver, there isn’t enough of a difference to spend the money to get an M2C. If you need a track car, the M2C hands down is a better car.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #38
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I own both cars lol.

The n55 m2 sounds good but it seems really droney. I feel like it's gotten more droney over time but maybe I just notice more now that I have an e90 m3 zcp.

The chassis of the m2 is a lot better than the e90, the size, weight, and wheelbase of the car makes the car feel more playful. I like the suspension better. You get torque early and all over the place and the engine warms up faster, but the car doesn't need to be warmed up to be fun because the chassis is so good and the wheelbase is so short. It's still fun just going around corners puttering around town. The e90 m3 isn't really fun or interesting besides the engine, and it has to be warmed up before you work the engine.

The m3 seems like a higher end car mostly because of the leather quality, but at this point my 80k mile car rattles more than the m2 and has more wear and tear.

The m2 has a Wagner Evo 2 comp intercooler and bm3 ACN tune specifically for the crappy California gas and that definitely helps the power feel consistent and feel like it's making power to redline. I don't feel like there's nothing after 5.5k anymore. That said it doesn't pull to redline like the s65 does. s65 feels like the harder you push it the more you get out of it. It's obviously making more power at 6k than 5k, more at 7k, more at 8k, and more at 8300 than it did at 8000. It rewards you for ringing it out. It doesn't generally feel that fast under 5k though, but it revs fast in low gears so stepping on it gets you going in a hurry. Definitely feels like it pulls harder into triple digits than the m2 but I don't know if it's actually faster.

The m3 stock sounds good from the outside but you don't hear much from the driver's seat. You can modify the stock exhaust for cheap so it's louder but still emissions legal. The induction noise from the engine is great. It's like the m2 is all exhaust an the m3 is all engine noise. I decided to lean into that an got an Eventuri Carbon Fiber plenum and it made the engine induction noise at full throttle like 4 times louder, it's crazy and amazing! Hard for the m2 to compete with that. Sounds stock at anything less than 80 precent throttle though. Now that I've had it for a while I also really like the sound of the V8 just winding up and down at civilized driving speeds. I didn't used to appreciate that. I took the sound deadening out from under the m2 engine cover and it sounds good too, but prefer the V8.

The sound system sucks in both. Don't have premium in the m3.

If I had a crystal ball and knew the m3 was going to be reliable I'd upgrade the suspension and just keep that as my only car. The m2 would be fine as my only car too, it's still super fun.

As far as the m2c I wanted to maybe get my21 and do euro delivery and sell the m2. Who knows in this current state of the world though. Without euro delivery the m2c is less attractive when I already have the m2.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
qnet680.50
      04-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #39
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I went from an E90 M3 to M2C, they are quite different cars. The M2 chassis is definitely the star of the show, both the rigidity and the hyper quick response from the diff. The M2 center of rotation feels like its around the driver, whereas the E90 feels like it rotates behind the driver. The steering on the M2C doesn't feel as natural as the M3, but its very quick and accurate. I much prefer the thinner wheel of the M2C, the e90 steering wheel was a touch too thick.

The E90 felt more premium, but I think in part its because they removed too much sound deadening from the M2/M2C which makes it feel cheaper. If they had left some of the rear sound deadening in to reduce tire roar it would help a lot. The reduced noise floor would help the poor stock sound system (I upgraded to Bavsound stage 1, big improvement makes the system actually listenable).

A stock e90 M3 feel's more like a GT car, needs mods (exhaust, suspension) to really make it come together. The M2 is much more focused out of the box, once the equal length exhausts hit the market soon that will solve the sound problem for us M2C owners. Both fantastic bits of kit though, if my budget was $30-35k I wouldn't hesitiate to buy an E9x M3.
Appreciate 2
Poffman493.00
Poochie9103.00
      04-22-2020, 10:39 PM   #40
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I went from an E90 M3 to M2C, they are quite different cars. The M2 chassis is definitely the star of the show, both the rigidity and the hyper quick response from the diff. The M2 center of rotation feels like its around the driver, whereas the E90 feels like it rotates behind the driver. The steering on the M2C doesn't feel as natural as the M3, but its very quick and accurate. I much prefer the thinner wheel of the M2C, the e90 steering wheel was a touch too thick.

The E90 felt more premium, but I think in part its because they removed too much sound deadening from the M2/M2C which makes it feel cheaper. If they had left some of the rear sound deadening in to reduce tire roar it would help a lot. The reduced noise floor would help the poor stock sound system (I upgraded to Bavsound stage 1, big improvement makes the system actually listenable).

A stock e90 M3 feel's more like a GT car, needs mods (exhaust, suspension) to really make it come together. The M2 is much more focused out of the box, once the equal length exhausts hit the market soon that will solve the sound problem for us M2C owners. Both fantastic bits of kit though, if my budget was $30-35k I wouldn't hesitiate to buy an E9x M3.
You can add the sound deadening for m240i on the LCI M2's. Not sure about the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #41
bee500
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Interesting perception about the sound. I'm coming from a 435 (N55) and always thought it sounded just like every other BMW non-V8 that came out in the past few years: like crap!
The S55 doesn't sound great either but I guess sounds just like looks, are totally subjective.
That's because the M2 N55 isn't a standard n55. The m2 n55 has many parts from the s55. I had a tuned 335i coupe with the n55 before my LCI m2. There's no comparison. The m2 in sport plus mode is intoxicating even with the stock exhaust. Those burbles are worth the every penny. Its the reason I bought an LCI over the comp. plus I will never track my car so I didn't need the extra power of the s55.
      04-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #42
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee500 View Post
Quote:
Interesting perception about the sound. I'm coming from a 435 (N55) and always thought it sounded just like every other BMW non-V8 that came out in the past few years: like crap!
The S55 doesn't sound great either but I guess sounds just like looks, are totally subjective.
That's because the M2 N55 isn't a standard n55. The m2 n55 has many parts from the s55. I had a tuned 335i coupe with the n55 before my LCI m2. There's no comparison. The m2 in sport plus mode is intoxicating even with the stock exhaust. Those burbles are worth the every penny. Its the reason I bought an LCI over the comp. plus I will never track my car so I didn't need the extra power of the s55.
What parts is the N55 borrowing from the S55?

There is a small part of me that wishes I would have bought an E9x M3. Just a beastly engine. But I have to remind myself that it's just not practical around town...there is just no way to consistently get up into those higher RPMs, where the engine becomes really fun, without getting arrested.

The low end torque of the N55, turbo blasphemy and all, makes the M2 fun for me no matter the driving circumstances. Again, it's just the perfect all around balance I had been looking for. Just can't get enough of it. And not being able to daily drive it to work is the most frustrating thing ever lol
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      04-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #43
bee500
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is a small part of me that wishes I would have bought an E9x M3. Just a beastly engine. But I have to remind myself that it's just not practical around town...there is just no way to consistently get up into those higher RPMs, where the engine becomes really fun, without getting arrested.

The low end torque of the N55, turbo blasphemy and all, makes the M2 fun for me no matter the driving circumstances. Again, it's just the perfect all around balance I had been looking for. Just can't get enough of it.
They took the crankshaft the pistons the and bunch of other stuff. Watch this video it explains it all in great detail. Trust me in a few weeks you will not miss the m3. The harder you drive the m2 the better it performs. The car loves to be reved hard AF. It hates slow creeping lol. I have a dct and it hates when I try to keep it under 3k rpms. And then the reward is when you rev it really hard in MDM mode or sport or sport plus then down shift back to 3rd gear. Oh man I smile every time and it never gets old. The beauty of this engine is there's so much low end torque that it throws you back early in the rev range. I know the one complaint of the s65 was low end torque. The m2 has no problem in the low end. That's where the car excels. For DD it's wonderful

04-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #44
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The low end torque of the N55, turbo blasphemy and all, makes the M2 fun for me no matter the driving circumstances. Again, it's just the perfect all around balance I had been looking for. Just can't get enough of it.
You can't beat the instant on/off power, of forced induction, over a wind-up, big block, NA V8.

Turbos really does inject life into an engine, without the need for equivalent displacement, that its NA counterpart requires.

I predict that turbocharger is on its way out and will be replace by a 48V hybrid battery setup, which will have all the advantages of a turbo-charger, without any of the limitations.

It will be tenfold over in efficiency and reliability, to become the new trend, kind of like what BMW did for the turbocharger technology, when they brought it back from extinction, into the mainstream, with the advent of their successfully N54 motor, in 2007.

I can't wait, I just hope they find a way to integrate a third pedal but that probably just wishful thinking.
Appreciate 0