BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMWUSA Build MSRP vs Dealers

01-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
rogerr748
Rep
Drives: BMW 750I

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
1967 MGB GT  [0.00]
2019 Toyota 4Runner ...  [0.00]
2016 BMW 750i  [0.00]
BMWUSA Build MSRP vs Dealers

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase an M2C in March. I used the BMWUSA site to build the car I want (Sunset Orange, Orange stitching, Carbon Trim, Executive Package) and BMW says MSRP should be $60,650 (price not including destination, handling, etc...)

It then suggests that there are similar cars available locally but when I check the MSRP is much higher. For example, a long beach blue one, with executive package is listed at $62,490. A black sapphire one is $63,045.

What gives? Are the dealers adding markup or other charges? I know my local market (Boston) is notorious for crazy dealer pricing but I would think MSRP would be locked in.

Thanks,

Roger
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

For a data point, I got your exact car (with MT) for $57,560 as an Allocation order.

That price includes dealer fees, destination charges and temporary tags, but no dealer "add-on's" like PPF, ceramic coating, PIO's etc.

Put another way, everything except tax and registration.

Good luck--

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 01-31-2020 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerr748 View Post
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase an M2C in March. I used the BMWUSA site to build the car I want (Sunset Orange, Orange stitching, Carbon Trim, Executive Package) and BMW says MSRP should be $60,650 (price not including destination, handling, etc...)

It then suggests that there are similar cars available locally but when I check the MSRP is much higher. For example, a long beach blue one, with executive package is listed at $62,490. A black sapphire one is $63,045.

What gives? Are the dealers adding markup or other charges? I know my local market (Boston) is notorious for crazy dealer pricing but I would think MSRP would be locked in.

Thanks,

Roger

I've noticed the same thing. Part of it has to do with the results not listing all the options included in the match. Other than that I have no idea what's going on. Perhaps some are including dealer add-ons (PPF, handling fees, etc)? Due to all of the above I find the tool next to useless.
      01-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks,

Roger

I've noticed the same thing. Part of it has to do with the results not listing all the options included in the match. Other than that I have no idea what's going on. Perhaps some are including dealer add-ons (PPF, handling fees, etc)? Due to all of the above I find the tool next to useless.
Get the build sheet for the car and see if it adds up
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Get the build sheet for the car and see if it adds up
+1

It's also easy for dealers to add accessories that you may or may not want with the car such as floor mats, wheel locks, floating hub cups, first aid kit, CF bits, etc. because they can reprint the window sticker to reflect the changes

In any case, people are having a much easier time getting discounts on cars now as opposed to when then were first released

Also, since it's still the slow season for selling sportier cars in the northeast, now is probably an ideal time to try to get a good deal
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      02-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
floor mats, wheel locks, floating hub cups, first aid kit, CF bits, etc.
Additionally, pretty much everything listed above (and a whole lot more) can be found cheaper online with a little research.

AND, those "dealer installed" parts get pretty spendy if you consider what they *really* cost if you roll them into the cost of the car and then do any financing. You'e paying for those things for the entire length of the loan-- something that a lot of people forget to consider.

R.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

The ones in dealers might be equipped with some dealer add ons like wheel locks, floor mats and what not
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
rogerr748
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
1967 MGB GT  [0.00]
2016 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Right,

For example, there is a local car in the same spec as I am looking for with an "MSRP" of $69,960

If you look closely at the pictures it has a bunch of M Performance parts on it (really, carbon exhaust tips?).

I think this explains the discrepancy, but I wish they would list this stuff separately. Of course, it doesn't help that the local market is pretty much an "MSRP" and we are doing you a favor for even allowing you in the showroom kind of place.

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Additionally, pretty much everything listed above (and a whole lot more) can be found cheaper online with a little research.

AND, those "dealer installed" parts get pretty spendy if you consider what they *really* cost if you roll them into the cost of the car and then do any financing. You'e paying for those things for the entire length of the loan-- something that a lot of people forget to consider.

R.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
The DCT shoots the price up as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Quote:
Right,

For example, there is a local car in the same spec as I am looking for with an "MSRP" of $69,960

If you look closely at the pictures it has a bunch of M Performance parts on it (really, carbon exhaust tips?).

I think this explains the discrepancy, but I wish they would list this stuff separately. Of course, it doesn't help that the local market is pretty much an "MSRP" and we are doing you a favor for even allowing you in the showroom kind of place.

Roger

Quote:

R.
Quote:
Right,

Roger

Quote:

R.
Agree. The add ons do confuse things. Just got an M2C that was on the lot configured exactly the way I would have, but had $500 in add ons like floor mats. Got the car for $2,500 under MSRP in Northern VA, which is about $3,000 less than what I have been seeing. My Euro delivery fell through and I was depressed so went back to local dealerships web sites. Great inventory.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
rogerr748
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
1967 MGB GT  [0.00]
2016 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewohar View Post
Agree. The add ons do confuse things. Just got an M2C that was on the lot configured exactly the way I would have, but had $500 in add ons like floor mats. Got the car for $2,500 under MSRP in Northern VA, which is about $3,000 less than what I have been seeing. My Euro delivery fell through and I was depressed so went back to local dealerships web sites. Great inventory.
Yeah, it's kind of funny how things work out. The car I mentioned in this post is the actual car I ended up buying. With the current situation they were willing to deal on the price where previously it was MSRP only.

Roger
Appreciate 0