BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Help an advice

05-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
Anne1
Rep
Drives: M2

Help an advice

I’ve had my M2 three years, and loved every minute I drive it. I only use it for pleasure. At 14000 miles I had to have new callipers and at 16000 miles a brake disc warped. Has anyone had any similar issues I would to hear about them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Do you track the car at all? Did they say what was wrong with the calipers?
Tracking can warp rotors and putting the parking brake on while the rotor is hot can warp them as well.
My E92 M3 needed new rotors because they were warped at 2000 miles.
It is very unusual to need new caliper and have warped rotors with street driving at 14-16,000 miles.
We're they changed under warranty? They usually don't cover anything brake-wise as they are "wear items."
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
There was some sort of TSB on the brakes shuddering, the girl that owned my car before me never even drove the car hard at all, and had all the brakes replaced at 9,000 miles because of it. I think it was just the rotors though.

Your experience seems weird, unless you're incredibly hard on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Yeah something is strange. I drive my car daily and do autocross and occasional track day. Was running stock pads until I baked them at a track, so switched to ds2500 pads for daily and ds1.11 for track days now. No rotor or caliper issues. I also had my dealer measure them last time in for service and they measured nearly new. 50,000 kms on car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #5
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne1 View Post
I’ve had my M2 three years, and loved every minute I drive it. I only use it for pleasure. At 14000 miles I had to have new callipers and at 16000 miles a brake disc warped. Has anyone had any similar issues I would to hear about them.
Yes, I tracked my OG car for first time 2 years ago on stock pads at 10.000km and rear discs warped. Discs and pads has been changed right after that within warranty. I took the pads out and exchanged for Endless ME22. Since then i did additional 20.000km and tracked 10x without an issue.

One more thing: i had a recall where dealer changed rear disc backing plates at 5.000km due to scratching sound while turning sharp left or right. I guess the tolerances were to narrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:15 AM   #6
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
60K miles here - zero problems with the brake rotors or pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #7
Anne1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
Do you track the car at all? Did they say what was wrong with the calipers?
Tracking can warp rotors and putting the parking brake on while the rotor is hot can warp them as well.
My E92 M3 needed new rotors because they were warped at 2000 miles.
It is very unusual to need new caliper and have warped rotors with street driving at 14-16,000 miles.
We're they changed under warranty? They usually don't cover anything brake-wise as they are "wear items."
I haven’t done any track days and I’m not a hard driver. The dealer said the brake nipple had seized. They replaced them under warranty.
My car was in the body shop and it was stood for six weeks they said the rust on the bake disc must have caused It to warp. Have you had any experience or heard of this happening.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #8
Anne1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
There was some sort of TSB on the brakes shuddering, the girl that owned my car before me never even drove the car hard at all, and had all the brakes replaced at 9,000 miles because of it. I think it was just the rotors though.

Your experience seems weird, unless you're incredibly hard on the car.
I haven’t done any track days and I’m not a hard driver. The dealer said the brake nipple had seized. They replaced them under warranty.
My car was in the body shop and it was stood for six weeks they said the rust on the bake disc must have caused It to warp. Have you had any experience or heard of this happening.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #9
Anne1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Yeah something is strange. I drive my car daily and do autocross and occasional track day. Was running stock pads until I baked them at a track, so switched to ds2500 pads for daily and ds1.11 for track days now. No rotor or caliper issues. I also had my dealer measure them last time in for service and they measured nearly new. 50,000 kms on car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:09 AM   #10
Anne1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevesh View Post
Yes, I tracked my OG car for first time 2 years ago on stock pads at 10.000km and rear discs warped. Discs and pads has been changed right after that within warranty. I took the pads out and exchanged for Endless ME22. Since then i did additional 20.000km and tracked 10x without an issue.

One more thing: i had a recall where dealer changed rear disc backing plates at 5.000km due to scratching sound while turning sharp left or right. I guess the tolerances were to narrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #11
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne1 View Post
No, I haven't.

The nipple probably did seize, but the rotor certainly didn't warp. BMW is a smart company, they prefer to replace rather than fix in almost all circumstances, that way they don't waste time fixing parts they paid nearly nothing for, and there is no prospect of you returning unhappy.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I think your dealer is making some very questionable choices here.

My car has 16k miles now, and track days in addition to hard driving and braking from Autobahn speeds. Original rotors and pads.

And I do swap track pads for track days, then run street pads year round on same rotors. No problems at all with the blue brakes.

So I think that “warping” is being misdiagnosed in place of “uneven pad deposits”. Plus when the car sits the rotors will or course rust.

I’d just get a more aggressive metallic pad and run t for a few weeks. It will take care of vibration and uneven deposits.
Appreciate 0