BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Lets talk about the Steering wheel

01-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
lukewayne
Rep
Drives: LBB F87 LBB 6MT

Lets talk about the Steering wheel

A topic that I haven't seen discussed yet here is the feel and size of the steering wheel.

Specifically the Diameter of the wheel, and the thickness.

I'm coming from an E36, and I never thought about the size of my steering wheel, that is until we picked up my wife's E82 135i with the M sport steering wheel. Wow is that wheel perfect, its diameter is so small, and the thickness of the wheel just fits my hands perfectly. After feeling that wheel, my E36 felt like i was driving a bus.

So...

The M2 seems to share the steering wheel with the M4 minus a few buttons. I've looked around but haven't been able to find a measurement of the M4's diameter. I'm really curious as to how it compares to the 1-series M-sport wheel.

Something else: Does the heated steering wheel option change the wheel, or the size of the wheel?

Additionally: What about the sizes of these M Performance steering wheels? I'm not immediately interested in the one with screens and lights and such, but there are a few options. are they all the same size as the normal M2/4 wheel? or are they all smaller by the same or different amounts?

Anyone have some insight on this info? I've been thinking about this and looking for info, havent come across any numbers, but boy that steering wheel is starting to look huge in the pictures to me. cant tell if i'm just imagining it now ...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewayne View Post
Additionally: What about the sizes of these M Performance steering wheels? I'm not immediately interested in the one with screens and lights and such, but there are a few options. are they all the same size as the normal M2/4 wheel? or are they all smaller by the same or different amounts?
Get the M Performance steering wheel for the M2.

01-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Hell NO

No Alcantara steering wheel ever again for me.

I had the Alcantara on the Cayman GTS, it felt artificial,weird, sweaty when warm, the leather wheel is a natural product, it feels definitely better IMO.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
lukewayne
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I like the looks of the shape of that one, not a fan of the alcantara on the wheel, or the blue stripe, but I haven't been able to find any information on the dimensions of the M Performance wheels. are they smaller diameter? sort of looks that way in the photos, but they all seem to be from different perspectives with different lenses.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
I like the looks of the shape of that one, not a fan of the alcantara on the wheel, or the blue stripe, but I haven't been able to find any information on the dimensions of the M Performance wheels. are they smaller diameter? sort of looks that way in the photos, but they all seem to be from different perspectives with different lenses.
Id assume IMO (no concrete evidence) that the wheel sizes should be the same for M performance as stock.....wouldn't make sense if they made it larger or smaller? I could be wrong though. I think it will be hard to find info on that.

BTW I had a Hellrot 95 M3........man do I miss it. What a color
Appreciate 1
M2Tom1.50
      01-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
M Sport & M steering wheel: 369 mm
M Performance steering wheel I & II: 373 mm

The diameter of the Fxx M steering wheel is the same as the old M Sport you have in your 135i.
      01-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I prefer this one.

01-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

The diameter of the Fxx M steering wheel is the same as the old M Sport you have in your 135i.

That diameter is perfect !

Also the thickness of the wheel is the best I`ve ever had, in comparison the steering wheel form my previous Cayman GTS was far too thin, let alone the filthy Alcantara feel......a shame for Porsche IMHO
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
That diameter is perfect !

Also the thickness of the wheel is the best I`ve ever had, in comparison the steering wheel form my previous Cayman GTS was far too thin, let alone the filthy Alcantara feel......a shame for Porsche IMHO
I love the Perf steering wheel in our 135. You just gotta clean in every second or third week to keep it fresh looking, which is not much worse than leather. Leather doesn't age well either if you don't look after it.
      01-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I love the Perf steering wheel in our 135. You just gotta clean in every second or third week to keep it fresh looking, which is not much worse than leather. Leather doesn't age well either if you don't look after it.
But leather feels better
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
But leather feels better
It's up to you what to prefer. The F-gen M leather steering wheel is really great, though. I like it a lot.
      01-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
lukewayne
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the measurement numbers! Surprised to see that the M Performance has a larger diameter

I'm so happy to hear that the Fxx steering wheel is the same as the 135.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the measurement numbers! Surprised to see that the M Performance has a larger diameter
It's because the material is thicker or something, I guess...
      01-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
esp42089
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, 08 X3-6m

Quote:
It's because the material is thicker or something, I guess...
Yeah, 2mm per side isn't what I'd call actually larger. I think that is well within measurement errors for this kind of thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Quote:
Hell NO

No Alcantara steering wheel ever again for me.

I had the Alcantara on the Cayman GTS, it felt artificial,weird, sweaty when warm, the leather wheel is a natural product, it feels definitely better IMO.
Agreed 100%. I hate alcantara steering wheels. Feels squishy over time as it soaks all your hand sweat.

I'll never get one again. If I were to go with the M performance wheel I'd get it reupholstered in normal leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewayne
Quote:

I'm so happy to hear that the Fxx steering wheel is the same as the 135.
Love my M235 standard wheel and I've driven a LOT of cars. One of my favorites.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Two questions about the M2 ///M Performance steering wheel:
  • will the ///M Performance steering wheel also vibrate when the 'Lane Departure Warning' of the 'Driving Assistant' is active (option code 5AS) ?
  • will the ///M Performance steering wheel also warm up when the steering wheel heating is active (option code 248) ?
I guess you lose both the vibration and heating features, but just want to check if someone knows the answer (possibly on the basis of other cars).

EDIT: got the answers in the meantime:
  • steering wheel vibration: yes (motor will be transferred to the steering wheel);
  • steering wheel heating: no.

Last edited by Artemis; 02-02-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #18
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

I like that it heats up.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #19
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I hate Alcantara on the wheel. I test drove an ATS-V with it on the wheel and could barely hold the wheel. Absolutely ruined my test drive experience.

I am a wierdo, but it's like nails on a chalkboard or taking dishes out of the dishwasher or using a microfiber towel feel. I just can't. I put on disposable gloves. Anyone else a wierdo?

Back on topic, do they make the electronic wheel W/O alcantara?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #20
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

IMHO alcantara steering wheel is overrated, yes it does look fine, but the feeling s.cks.

Alcantara roof; would be nice (or is it standard?)
Alcantara seats; would be nice
Alcantara door panels; check
Leather steering wheel; check

Now, that is all the alcantara I`ll need
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:56 AM   #21
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I really don't like to shock anyone but to me the leather steering wheel in the M235i feels like plastic compared with other leather steering wheels I've used (BMW 330, Porsche 911, Lotus Elise). I'm tempted by alcantara and am wondering whether the majority of complaints about alcantara come from people in hot climates ? Could it be a more pleasant material in a cool climate ? And, how does one clean alcantara ?
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #22
zstoja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I really don't like to shock anyone but to me the leather steering wheel in the M235i feels like plastic compared with other leather steering wheels I've used (BMW 330, Porsche 911, Lotus Elise). I'm tempted by alcantara and am wondering whether the majority of complaints about alcantara come from people in hot climates ? Could it be a more pleasant material in a cool climate ? And, how does one clean alcantara ?
I feel M3 2016 steering wheel like plastic, it is slippery for me. I did not find steering wheel like M3 anywhere. All steering wheels are better. And I have to pay it $75K!?

Really, BMW does not know to make anything except engine.

I saw a Performance Steering Wheel here, it is half leather, half alcantara. My god, for that kind of car you have to have uniform steering wheel, not any kind of combination, because you react different with leather than alcantara or any other material. Combination can be in my Enclave, and still is not so good.

Almost all is fashion in BMW now, without any logic. It seems buyers want it. It seems BMW is not for me. Or to buy new one M3 and replace steering wheel with some used, old one. I do not have a word to explain this.
Appreciate 1