BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > PPC wraps & experience

10-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
Alex A
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

PPC wraps & experience

Hi folks. New M2C owner and new to the forum so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I'm being told by fellow BMWCCA members to definitely have some sort of Paint Protective Covering put on the front of the car.

On doing diligence there are several to chose from such as Sun Tek, Xpel, 3M and a few more.

Interestingly the Sun Tek retailer says that Xpel is like the Gucci of wraps so you're paying for advertising and that the thickness and quality of the coating is what matters. Sun Tek comes with a 12 year warranty and is made by Eastman [presumably by the original Eastman/Kodak/Polaroid company for the old timers].

So I was just wondering what everyone's experience has been with any particular brand they chose to wrap their car with.

I'm also told different wraps have different purposes. If you want a shiny finish use Xpel or thinner wraps. If you want better paint protection from stones at high speed on the highway use a thicker wrap like 3M.

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Alex
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      10-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

I recently had mine done with STEK. For whatever reason my top two picked installers in Socal both happened to use STEK, I don't think theyre as widely used as Xpel but the two shops vouched for them. Apparently they already have a hydrophobic coating on top.

I also definitely would make sure the installers are capable of rolling all the edges, so you don't see all those seams- they catch alot of dust and dirt. Pricier option but think its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #3
myb24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My PPF installer uses Prestige ClearGuard Nano Paint Protection Film. I don't think it's widely used but I've had 2 cars done with it and it looks great. However, I think what's most important about PPF is not the brand used, but the skill of the installer. Any reputable PPF brand with a decent warranty should be fine, but how it's applied by the installer (rolled edges, no bubbles, etc) is most important. So just make sure you go with an installer who you know has a good reputation (and preferably someone who's had experience with an M2, as the front bumper has tricky curves).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had mine fully wrapped, I'm so glad I did. Washing is a breeze, no swirls, and the car just looks sleek and sick!