BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > This post could save you thousands (yes really)

09-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

This post could save you thousands (yes really)

Hey everyone, coming to you all to maybe help out those who may come across the same scenario and literally save thousands of dollars on service. I brought my m2c in today for service. Current mileage 27k and still within the factory warranty until 2022, but no longer have the factory maintenance plan that covers the car for 3 years/36,000 miles as I bought the car certified pre owned. The maintenance plan does not transfer to the new owner as it does not follow the car through its life and owners. On this particular service the car was due for an oil change, brake fluid flush, air filters, and spark plugs. Spark plugs were quotes 5-6hrs of labor for about $1200 in JUST LABOR. Brake fluid change flush was around $600 in labor. Oil change and air filter was around another $500. As I was sitting with the service rep in awe I told him to skip the plugs and brake fluid as I can do that myself. I mean $1200 to change spark plugs? Ridiculous. I can swap those out in 30 minutes and pay the measly $75 for new ones. After having multiple heart attacks and and covering the seat in ass sweat over the approximate $2400 grand total the service manager beside my service manager says "just reinstate the factory service plan for $100". Turns out if you're within 3 years/36,000 miles you can basically get the maintenance plan "turned back on" for only $100! My swamp ass instantly dried up and my heart began beating normally again. I wish I had known that going into my service that for only $100 you can get the service plan back! I hope things finds many of you who are in the same situation as me and can save some big money.
Appreciate 10
BigKutta3901.00
8taco2233.00
Brandt51874.00
ROASTM163.50
smknjoe234.00
Durrc4.50
      09-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmick5jr View Post
...but no longer have the factory maintenance plan that covers the car for 3 years/36,000 miles as I bought the car certified pre owned. The maintenance plan does not transfer to the new owner as it does not follow the car through its life and owners.
Whomever told you this just didn't know what they were talking about. Some SA's don't tell you that it's possible to transfer the maintenance plan for $99 (and they will be fired if you tell BMW about it), but most will.

Just recently I've spoken to my SA about this, and he's the one that told me that any SA that doesn't offer you the transfer when it's possible to have will lose their job if reported. It's not up to their discretion. BMW absolutely wants them to offer the transfer.

It's sad that some SA's are getting away with this.
Appreciate 1
M3R12167.00
      09-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #3
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
...but no longer have the factory maintenance plan that covers the car for 3 years/36,000 miles as I bought the car certified pre owned. The maintenance plan does not transfer to the new owner as it does not follow the car through its life and owners.
Whomever told you this just didn't know what they were talking about. Some SA's don't tell you that it's possible to transfer the maintenance plan for $99 (and they will be fired if you tell BMW about it), but most will.

Just recently I've spoken to my SA about this, and he's the one that told me that any SA that doesn't offer you the transfer when it's possible to have will lose their job if reported. It's not up to their discretion. BMW absolutely wants them to offer the transfer.

That's nuts. Hes a great guy he seemed like he just forgot. He was happy for me when he was reminded about it. No harm done
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

You already know this but:

If you can do plugs yourselve, the dealer service dept ain’t for you.

$100 to keep coverage is a no brainer, but heads up when that party is over find an independent mechanic for the stuff that’s outside your strike zone.

Let the dealer handle the parade of Mom’s in X5s and you’ll both be happier for it.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
If you are still under the maintenance plan you can also purchase the Ultimate Care.

I was at the dealer with the X4 and they told me my brakes were shot all around, really low, CBS was way off. I was able to purchase the UltimateCare brake addition (not the +1 year) for ~$700, which was less than the parts $900 and I didn't have to get dirty changing them out. They replace the pads, sensors and rotors all around.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
If you are still under the maintenance plan you can also purchase the Ultimate Care.

I was at the dealer with the X4 and they told me my brakes were shot all around, really low, CBS was way off. I was able to purchase the UltimateCare brake addition (not the +1 year) for ~$700, which was less than the parts $900 and I didn't have to get dirty changing them out. They replace the pads, sensors and rotors all around.
Good deal
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #7
Sahbatag3
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Hey everyone, coming to you all to maybe help out those who may come across the same scenario and literally save thousands of dollars on service. I brought my m2c in today for service. Current mileage 27k and still within the factory warranty until 2022, but no longer have the factory maintenance plan that covers the car for 3 years/36,000 miles as I bought the car certified pre owned. The maintenance plan does not transfer to the new owner as it does not follow the car through its life and owners. On this particular service the car was due for an oil change, brake fluid flush, air filters, and spark plugs. Spark plugs were quotes 5-6hrs of labor for about $1200 in JUST LABOR. Brake fluid change flush was around $600 in labor. Oil change and air filter was around another $500. As I was sitting with the service rep in awe I told him to skip the plugs and brake fluid as I can do that myself. I mean $1200 to change spark plugs? Ridiculous. I can swap those out in 30 minutes and pay the measly $75 for new ones. After having multiple heart attacks and and covering the seat in ass sweat over the approximate $2400 grand total the service manager beside my service manager says "just reinstate the factory service plan for $100". Turns out if you're within 3 years/36,000 miles you can basically get the maintenance plan "turned back on" for only $100! My swamp ass instantly dried up and my heart began beating normally again. I wish I had known that going into my service that for only $100 you can get the service plan back! I hope things finds many of you who are in the same situation as me and can save some big money.
I just did this a few weeks ago after purchasing my used M2C. I had to call different dealerships to have it taken care of for $100. One dealer tried charging me $995!

I'm glad your service manager was able to take care of you on this one.
Appreciate 3
Enabled1406.00
chris7197334.00
      09-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #8
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatag3 View Post
I just did this a few weeks ago after purchasing my used M2C. I had to call different dealerships to have it taken care of for $100. One dealer tried charging me $995!

Which dealer ended up doing it?
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Always helps to have an honest guy present and eavesdropping! Most knuckleheads don’t understand that a little good will goes much farther in terms of repeat and new business.

Glad it worked out for you!! And thanks for bringing this to other members’ attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatag3 View Post

Atlantic City
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
Sahbatag3
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Advantage Midtown
Appreciate 1
Enabled1406.00
      09-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #12
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Quote:

Mr VisualEcho advised me on this very topic. I was technically the second owner even though I bought the car with 41 miles on it.

Two weeks ago I took my car in for the break in service and was told that it would be $800 to change the fluids. I told the SA that it should be only $100 to transfer the maintenance to my name. As i saw the conversation was going no where I told him i would wait for a sales guy that i was friendly with and see if he could help. By the way I did not purchase the car from there, this car was purchased from EAG.

Because I was there at 8:30 I had to wait for a bit for the sales guy I knew to arrive. He was aware of this but was not authorized to do it. He got me together with the finance manager who was able to pull up the appropriate screen and do the switch for me in about 5 minutes.

$107 later I was able to bring my car to 7000+ rpm...

It is a shame that the consumer often knows more than the dealer employees.
Dr.Mark84.00
smknjoe234.00
Durrc4.50
Kingpin4386.50
      10-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #13
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Mr VisualEcho advised me on this very topic. I was technically the second owner even though I bought the car with 41 miles on it.

Two weeks ago I took my car in for the break in service and was told that it would be $800 to change the fluids. I told the SA that it should be only $100 to transfer the maintenance to my name. As i saw the conversation was going no where I told him i would wait for a sales guy that i was friendly with and see if he could help. By the way I did not purchase the car from there, this car was purchased from EAG.

Because I was there at 8:30 I had to wait for a bit for the sales guy I knew to arrive. He was aware of this but was not authorized to do it. He got me together with the finance manager who was able to pull up the appropriate screen and do the switch for me in about 5 minutes.

$107 later I was able to bring my car to 7000+ rpm...

It is a shame that the consumer often knows more than the dealer employees.
I assume it's this?

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles.

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html

Says it's non-transferable. What am I missing? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #14
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
I assume it's this?

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles.

I have the paperwork at home, I believe it is just the free maintenance program. The finance guy knew exactly what i was asking for. Mr. Visual would know for sure.
      10-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #15
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I assume it's this?

It's nothing special, it's just the standard free maintenance warranty that every M2 comes with. And yes, the link you provided is what it covers, but it's absolutely transferable for $100.

Below are the years, mileage for each plan the M2 comes with.

Standard warranty including powertrain is 4 years, 50K miles.
Emissions warranty is 8 years, 80,000 miles.
Maintenance warranty is 3 years, 36,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #16
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's nothing special, it's just the standard free maintenance warranty that every M2 comes with. And yes, the link you provided is what it covers, but it's absolutely transferable for $100.

I checked the BMW app and noticed it shows as active under maintenance so I called my dealer and he says yes I still have it till January. Wish I knew that when I got my oil changed in April! I went to an indy shop to save some $$. At least my brake fluid change and possibly spark plugs will be free next month! He said I can extend it to 60 mo for $899. Just need to decide if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #17
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I checked the BMW app and noticed it shows as active under maintenance so I called my dealer and he says yes I still have it till January. Wish I knew that when I got my oil changed in April! I went to an indy shop to save some $$. At least my brake fluid change and possibly spark plugs will be free next month! He said I can extend it to 60 mo for $899. Just need to decide if it's worth it.
The longer I'm on this site the more stories like yours I hear. IMO when someone buys a relatively new BMW the first call they should make is to the service department to get it checked out and get to know their local SA. Then it's up to the SA to keep you as a service customer, and one of the ways they do that is telling you about that warranty, getting you on their side, doing overpriced (plugs) work for free, getting the hooks in so that maybe you'll come back when the warranty is out. If they don't do that then they aren't doing what BMW wants, and they're not doing their job. SA's are sales people too.
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
.Slug446.00
Kingpin4386.50
      10-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #18
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The longer I'm on this site the more stories like yours I hear. IMO when someone buys a relatively new BMW the first call they should make is to the service department to get it checked out and get to know their local SA. Then it's up to the SA to keep you as a service customer, and one of the ways they do that is telling you about that warranty, getting you on their side, doing overpriced (plugs) work for free, getting the hooks in so that maybe you'll come back when the warranty is out. If they don't do that then they aren't doing what BMW wants, and they're not doing their job. SA's are sales people too.
Ya, totally makes sense. I was looking into it a bit before I purchased the car and everything I saw said it was non-transferable so didn't even ask BMW about it. Probably didn't help that I purchased from a non-BMW dealer, although I did have them drop it off at a BMW dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. The only time I went to a BMW dealer personally was when my tail light was malfunctioning and they replaced it under warranty. Glad to be in a community with people who are so helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I did not know about any of this. Mine says its active on the app but I paid for an oil change a few months ago and no one told me about the $100 transfer. They better believe I am going to get it transferred before next time even though I only have this for another 8 months. I will definitely bring in why they did not asl me to transfer it last time.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #20
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3awak3n View Post
I did not know about any of this. Mine says its active on the app but I paid for an oil change a few months ago and no one told me about the $100 transfer. They better believe I am going to get it transferred before next time even though I only have this for another 8 months. I will definitely bring in why they did not asl me to transfer it last time.
If yours shows active like mine then you shouldn't have to transfer it. I'd reach out to them now and ask for a refund. Don't even mention it needs to be transferred just say you saw it on the app and should not have been charged.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #21
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
If yours shows active like mine then you shouldn't have to transfer it. I'd reach out to them now and ask for a refund. Don't even mention it needs to be transferred just say you saw it on the app and should not have been charged.
I need to go back there in the next month and will mention it because that is some bs.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 04:58 AM   #22
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ask your service rep what's required in the next service. That will tell you ✔️
Appreciate 0