BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Are there things you dislike about your M2C?

09-24-2021, 09:00 PM   #45
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
-would prefer to run 18in wheels
-Excessive brake dust and noise
-wheel/finder gap is a bit much
-small full tank
-manual shifter feels rubbery
-exhaust pops and bangs are to fake/boy racer for my taste…hate to void a warranty for minor changes
-armrest rubs seat/excessive wear
-wish exhaust setting was separate from throttle
-would love stock camber adjustments

Mostly minor things, but a lot of them are expensive to correct somewhat small changes so likely won't get done…
Bimmerlink can code out the burble in 10 seconds. Shouldn't really void warranty, BMW will never notice.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #46
SlicRick
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

1. I hate the shifter ,doesn’t feel as precise as I would like, definitely needs shifter bushings

2. Exhaust system/ Turboback also needed

3. I hate the 788M wheels , hideous in my opinion lol

4. The Brake dust my goodness , it’s terrible
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:39 PM   #47
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
(1) glass half-full means there's room for more whiskey!

(2) video of your wheel cleaning technique or GTFO!

No video (yet), but seriously 5 minutes per wheel. Equipment needed:

1. Optimum No-Rinse. https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Rinse...s%2C222&sr=8-4. I use 3 oz/3 gallons of water for the wheels.

2. Microfiber glove. https://www.amazon.com/Detailers-Pre...544171&sr=8-35

3. Medium wheel woolie. Here is the set, but I only use the medium one. https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

4. Lug nut brush of your choosing.

5. Black/wheel microfiber cloth.

Procedure:

1. Prepare Optimum No-Rinse
2. Use the microfiber glove to agitate/clean all reachable surfaces of the wheel.
3. Use lug nut brush.
4. Use wheel woolie to clean the barrel of the wheel.
5. Wipe wheel off with microfiber cloth.

It may take you a bit longer a first, but 5 minutes/wheel is the end result.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 4
happyjack1657.00
Foggins1331.50
CSBM52716.50
chris7197331.50
      09-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #48
popcornten
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981.1 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssnake View Post
Just wondering. Such an amazing car but what don't you like about it?

Small fuel tank?
Lack of covered storage (coming from a Cayman, i.e. doors)?
Wheels (PITA to clean)?
Sound of Exhaust (according to some)?
Seat bottom bolster (not the most comfortable for highway driving)?

What say you?
Since you’re coming from a Cayman
- Brake pedal is grabby, not as progressive as my 981
- Doesn’t steer as well, I think the fat wheel hurts it too
- The engine sound sucks, I wound up turning ASD back on

The car is way more usable and I think it rides better actually. Also the engine power is excellent, so much torque low down that I always missed in my 981.

After three months with the M2C I put myself on the 718 GTS 4.0 List. Haven’t decided 100% but I might go have to go back.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      09-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #49
bromudez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Punishing street driving
Small fuel tank
No HUD
Cheaper looking interior vs F80
Cow udder of a muffler

Overall, nothing I'd consider a deal breaker but these are the qualms
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #50
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
(1) glass half-full means there's room for more whiskey!

(2) video of your wheel cleaning technique or GTFO!

No video (yet), but seriously 5 minutes per wheel. Equipment needed:

1. Optimum No-Rinse. https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Rinse...222&sr=8-4. I use 3 oz/3 gallons of water for the wheels.

2. Microfiber glove. https://www.amazon.com/Detailers-Pre...71&sr=8-35

3. Medium wheel woolie. Here is the set, but I only use the medium one. https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

4. Lug nut brush of your choosing.

5. Black/wheel microfiber cloth.

Procedure:

1. Prepare Optimum No-Rinse
2. Use the microfiber glove to agitate/clean all reachable surfaces of the wheel.
3. Use lug nut brush.
4. Use wheel woolie to clean the barrel of the wheel.
5. Wipe wheel off with microfiber cloth.

It may take you a bit longer a first, but 5 minutes/wheel is the end result.
I'm a big fan of ONR myself!
I also use ONR to rinse the wheels (there's a potent version of ONR called "Optimum power clean" which you can buy for this task). It's mind blowing good, just spray and the brake dust falls apart.

https://www.autogeek.net/128oz-optim...clean-apc.html
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 5
Mullins124.00
KevinM2935.50
MeinZwei156.00
CSBM52716.50
PHX102160.50
      09-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #51
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Get them wheels ceramic coated. I just got some apex wheels and ceramic them and cleaning is soooo much easier, 70% of dirt flies off when you hit it with the power washer. The 788s are going to be my winters and before they go back in the car I am going to ceramic them too.

A few complaints with the car but all have been mentioned. Gas tank is small for sure but I don’t commute so it does not bother me too much.

Brake dust is insane for sure and why the difficult of cleaning the 788 is an issue because you clean the wheels, go out for 30 minutes and they are filthy.

I will add that I would have liked a hud just because the tach is meh and when you display speed on the computer there goes the oil gage (which is one of my main complains, should have a dedicated gage. The onboard computer is silly with displaying 1 thing at a time while on the right you are using crazy amount real estate to display what mode you are on or efficient fuel consumption.)
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #52
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

Could you use more steering feel in turns, intake and exhaust sounds are pretty muted. Car comes a little under-tired from factory and struggles to put power down. Limited interior and exterior color options and no blind spot monitor.

I find the brake feel to be lacking on the big brake kit and of course the 788m wheels are very heavy.

Otherwise, the m2c is a modern classic and one of BMW's best all time.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #53
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My main gripe is the difficulty in cleaning the 788 wheels.

Other things that fall into the nitpick category:

- no Temperature gauges
- no Head-Up Display
- no Ventilated seats
- no Blind spot monitor

Overall I love the M2C. When car shopping to replace my 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with something more suitable as a daily driver, while retaining RWD, manual transmission, and most of the 1LE performance, the M2C was the only choice! Like others have said, no car is perfect, but for me this one is very close.
Moflow2484.50
      09-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #54
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
I'm about to hit 1000 miles so it's still pretty new to me. Nothing I truly dislike so far, but I'm "neutral" on the small gas tank, vague shifter, and overly intricate wheel design.
Buy the m performance carbon fiber/suede shift knob. Changes the whole driving experience for the better
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      09-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #55
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 comp

-Steering feel: Coming from an E92, the M2C is vague and mushy. Not a deal-breaker by any sense of the word, but it's very uninspiring.

-Small fuel tank

-Brake dust is redick
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #56
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I also use ONR to rinse the wheels (there's a potent version of ONR called "Optimum power clean" which you can buy for this task). It's mind blowing good, just spray and the brake dust falls apart.

Just looked this up and it looks like an all in one cleaner. Wheels, body, interior?!?! What dilution do you use for the wheels? for the body? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #57
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:

Just looked this up and it looks like an all in one cleaner. Wheels, body, interior?!?! What dilution do you use for the wheels? for the body? Thanks
I just use 15-20% and remaining water. It's sufficient to "break" the brake dust.
It's an all in one cleaner but I use it only for wheels. For regular cleaning I use the traditional ONR solution that's blue or green in color.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
KevinM2935.50
      09-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #58
M2see
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C - HS, Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
My biggest gripe about the car is that you can't switch off rev matching. Nailing a downshift properly is nirvana to me, and it is such a shame that you can't do that without disabling traction control. My start sequence now includes a step to turn off DSC all the time. I know you can code it out, but not satisfactorily.
I would like for the seat to move backwards on shut down, to aid egress, but I have set seat position #2 for this. (So yet another step on my start up procedure - here, to move the seat back to my preferred position).
Putting the power down is... an adventure. At any revs in 2nd gear, if I plant it, the back end will cut loose, no matter what the road surface/temperature. That's just weird.
Overall, though, I LOVE THIS CAR. It provides massive driver satisfaction (dare I say it, it's more enjoyable to drive in a pure sense than my other car, at 1/5 the price!!!)
Turning off rev matching was best thing I have done (used bimmercode), my detailed comments here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=57
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #59
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
I just use 15-20% and remaining water. It's sufficient to "break" the brake dust.
It's an all in one cleaner but I use it only for wheels. For regular cleaning I use the traditional ONR solution that's blue or green in color.
Seems like this requires rinsing if used for wheel cleaning. Is that the case? I almost exclusively use a waterless wash or ONR so that I don't need to get out the hose...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)

Last edited by KevinM; 09-28-2021 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:25 PM   #60
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Seems like this requires rinsing if sued for wheel cleaning. Is that the case? I almost exclusively use a waterless wash or ONR so that I don't need to get out the hose...
Quote:
Quote:
Seems like this requires rinsing if sued for wheel cleaning. Is that the case? I almost exclusively use a waterless wash or ONR so that I don't need to get out the hose...
I use a crappy MF per wheel to wipe out the dust. Like I mentioned it will just fall apart and you will hardly have to apply effort. Just spray and wipe as if you were drying out the wheel.

I trash those crappy MF towels. You can get them at Walmart or Homedepot.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #61
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub486 View Post
Could you use more steering feel in turns, intake and exhaust sounds are pretty muted. Car comes a little under-tired from factory and struggles to put power down. Limited interior and exterior color options and no blind spot monitor.

I find the brake feel to be lacking on the big brake kit and of course the 788m wheels are very heavy.

Otherwise, the m2c is a modern classic and one of BMW's best all time.
Switching to Cup2 240 tires will improve steering feel and allow you to put the power down. The exhaust sound can be improved dramatically by leaving the valves open. It can be done manually but I think it's better to tune it, that way switching to Efficient silences the exhaust for sensitive neighborhoods.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #62
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmick5jr View Post
Buy the m performance carbon fiber/suede shift knob. Changes the whole driving experience for the better
I totally agree, you can even hack the boot in order to keep the original.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #63
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I got a chubby for the M2c around the beginning of the year. I studied this forum quite carefully, even though I was 99% sure I'd never own one - my "fun" car at the time was my 2nd Z4 M Coupe and I LOVED that car and it was my forever car. Then, suddenly, fate intervened - my Z4M was hit in late January, and the damage was fairly severe (about $9500 by the time it was done). So while it was in the shop, I decided I'd sell it once repaired, and placed an order for an M2c on February 3rd.. a decision I most certainly do NOT regret one bit!

By the time that happened, I'd read all the complaints/issues/accolades about the M2c, and did my best to digest them with some context. All of the negatives I could possibly perceive have been rehashed in this thread. I came to the conclusion before ordering that none of them were deal-breakers for me. 5 months into ownership, that assessment has proven correct.

One you hear frequently is that the interior isn't "premium enough". Dakota leather? Yeah, that's a lower grade, but it's got a more textured surface than Nappa or Merino and therefore is slightly grippier, and in my experience having owned cars with Nappa and Dakota in the past, the Dakota leather wears better over time. So that doesn't bother me one bit. I like the dry carbon trim more than I expected to, though I'd prefer conventional glossy CF. But not enough to be disappointed with the dry choice. What IS cheesy about the interior is the door panels. BMW tarted up the M2 panels with alcantara trim and the CF handle trim, but the panel itself is 100% hard plastic - no soft-touch material on the door tops, no lining in the door pockets. THAT is not premium, that's base Kia stuff. I remember when the Golf R came out and it was discovered that the REAR doors had hard plastic on the tops of the panels, and some people were outraged. At least the fronts are nice normal soft-touch stuff. But hey, as long as what we got wears well, I'm totally ok with it at the price point, given where the money went to in this car - the stuff that really matters.

I would have opted for the standard brakes rather than the monster binders that were made standard equipment by BMWUSA. They're overkill for a street car and add a lot of unsprung weight over the standard binders. Again, something I can certainly live with, and it's amazing we got these as standard equipment.

The H/K sound system gets a lot of flack. Yeah, it's not great. But for what the car is, it's totally adequate for me. And I now have all the modern stuff my Z4M lacked - SiriusXM (important to me cuz I'm in the sticks), Bluetooth that actually works, built-in nav, CarPlay compatibility, etc. Once again, BMWUSA opted to only give us the best option available as standard - there are 2 lower-tier audio options in other markets. Thankfully we avoided those without having to pay for an "upgrade" or as part of some expensive package.

There were complaints about ride quality. Yeah it's gonna beat you up on really bad roads - it's an M car, not a Buick! But I think the suspension engineers did a fantastic job and I find it perfectly acceptable for any use, including daily if I were to press it into that duty, and when pressed hard as I did last weekend on a BMWCCA mountain cruise, it proves more than adequate for canyon carving duty at felonious speeds.

I don't care about missing high-end features like HUD, because I understand that BMW isn't gonna undercut their higher-end offerings by loading up a cheaper car. If everybody's wish list were applied to this thing, it would be a $70k+ car. At $60k, a great balance was struck between bang for the buck and still including all the important bits. Look at all the stuff we got as standard equipment, that would have cost big bucks in the past - comfort access, monster brakes, "professional" nav with the bigger 8.8" screen, heated seats, LED headlights, Homelink, dynamic cruise control, etc. All of that stuff was expensive options in the recent past.

I've been driving since 1973 and have owned some cool cars - and the M2c quickly became my all-time favorite. I think it's an instant classic. Complaints? Far too minor to dwell on, soundly outweighed by all the positives.
Uscray134.00
happyjack1657.00
MeinZwei156.00
Moflow2484.50
BigKutta3896.50
ADDONE230.00
KevinM2935.50
Foggins1331.50
inTgr8r2425.50
TTBear414.50
bizzle0.00
      09-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #64
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I don't care about missing high-end features like HUD, because I understand that BMW isn't gonna undercut their higher-end offerings by loading up a cheaper car. If everybody's wish list were applied to this thing, it would be a $70k+ car. At $60k, a great balance was struck between bang for the buck and still including all the important bits. Look at all the stuff we got as standard equipment, that would have cost big bucks in the past - comfort access, monster brakes, "professional" nav with the bigger 8.8" screen, heated seats, LED headlights, Homelink, dynamic cruise control, etc. All of that stuff was expensive options in the recent past.
This exactly! And not to forget alcantara, nice seats fitting a sports car, some nannies, (semi) digital dash.

I always say that the M2C is the perfect package and a great value. The G87 wont be.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
      09-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #65
p27rpy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornten View Post
Since you’re coming from a Cayman
- Brake pedal is grabby, not as progressive as my 981
- Doesn’t steer as well, I think the fat wheel hurts it too
- The engine sound sucks, I wound up turning ASD back on

The car is way more usable and I think it rides better actually. Also the engine power is excellent, so much torque low down that I always missed in my 981.

After three months with the M2C I put myself on the 718 GTS 4.0 List. Haven’t decided 100% but I might go have to go back.
You pretty much nailed my feelings coming from a Cayman. Love the usable torque and power, and the ride is better than the Cayman’s. But the handling just isn’t on the same level (fair to compare with a mid-engined car, I wonder?). The Cayman felt planted and predictable right up until it lost grip, whereas the M2 feels more nervous.

The brakes feel grabby and over-boosted, and the shifter is vague and rubbery with a pretty bad 1-2 shift. Sure do miss that flat 6 sound too, but not the total lack of low-end torque!

Working on small things to address some of these issues, but overall it’s been a very fun car in the short time I’ve owned it.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      09-29-2021, 06:14 AM   #66
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

It's a great car with few things to dislike.
Biggest annoyance for me is the centre console squeaking/chirping noise.
Ridiculous that the seats touch the console too, couldn't they have mounted them ~5mm (3/16") further outboard?
I thought I would miss the HUD (liked them so much I retrofitted one into my F25 X3 daily beater), but found that the digital speedo display does the job just fine for me.

This one is a bit more left-field, but I find that the wiper arms look really cheap and detract very slightly from the outside appearance which is just about perfect from just about every angle.
Appreciate 0