BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > LBB M2C completes an all M collection

08-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #23
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
We need to start a new sub forum for the e92 crowd that went to the M2 platform and are unable to let the e92 go. When I got my M2CS the dealer had employees asking me if I will trade it in or sell it. Recently I was asked by a friend who's client saw my car If I will be willing to sell. I have been debating if there is a price point where I would sell it though, in my case it is a single hump 2009 e92 stripper with 38K miles and an AA signature cat back exhaust that sounds ridiculous

Then I just drove the e92 on Monday and I was like

Regrettably I sold my e36 M3 and my e46 ZHP.
I went the other way. M2 first, but needed a higher revving NA engine in my life. Option of 4 doors to add further contrast to m2 didn't hurt.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #24
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What I don't like, although clearly not enough to not get the car:
- Shifter is the worse out of all 4 M's. I can normally get away with just a clutch stop and ZHP knob. That made the E92 M3 completely fine even though the throws were super long and rubbery to begin with. I've never bothered buying an SSK, but maybe this one will be different. Sure you get used to it, but I don't quite understand why it's worse than the last of the E generation cars. I do like rev matching though
- You sit way too high in my opinion. I'm not super tall or anything, but as others mentioned, you feel like you're sitting on top of the car. Once again, you get used to it, but it could be better, feels like the E36 Vader seats in that regard.
I'm actually surprised you feel that way about the shifter. I've driven a lot of BMWs, and I think this is one of their better efforts. The clutch could be a bit heavier, but the shifts are smooth, particularly by BMW standards. For me, the Z4M's 1-2 shift is fairly clunky, although it improved after CDV delete and a ZHP knob. The M5's shifter suits the cars character, but has relatively long throws and is a bit notchy.

Sitting in my Z4M coupe, the seating in the M2C is definitely much higher, but comparable to my previous F80 and my M5. I think it works very well as a DD.

Glad you are enjoying the car! Are you keeping all the others (looks like you have enough garage space!)?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #25
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'm actually surprised you feel that way about the shifter. I've driven a lot of BMWs, and I think this is one of their better efforts. The clutch could be a bit heavier, but the shifts are smooth, particularly by BMW standards. For me, the Z4M's 1-2 shift is fairly clunky, although it improved after CDV delete and a ZHP knob. The M5's shifter suits the cars character, but has relatively long throws and is a bit notchy.

Sitting in my Z4M coupe, the seating in the M2C is definitely much higher, but comparable to my previous F80 and my M5. I think it works very well as a DD.

Glad you are enjoying the car! Are you keeping all the others (looks like you have enough garage space!)?
Early reports from me are similar to your thoughts. I think the shift linkage is kind of artificial feeling compared to the Z4M, but the 1->2 shift is far better. The throws are short enough for me.

The clutch is my biggest gripe with the car so far. It feels weird to me for reasons I can't fully articulate. Like the spring is non-linear near the bite point or something. Reverse is a little harder to get into than the Z4M also.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
congrats no the new ride. I am on my second M2 and they are great, from M2 to M2C. I also can not find a reason to get rid of the E92 M3.

Such different cars, I still think the M2 platform is the one to get now. Its also a price performer in many ways, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
We need to start a new sub forum for the e92 crowd that went to the M2 platform and are unable to let the e92 go. When I got my M2CS the dealer had employees asking me if I will trade it in or sell it. Recently I was asked by a friend who's client saw my car If I will be willing to sell. I have been debating if there is a price point where I would sell it though, in my case it is a single hump 2009 e92 stripper with 38K miles and an AA signature cat back exhaust that sounds ridiculous

Then I just drove the e92 on Monday and I was like

Regrettably I sold my e36 M3 and my e46 ZHP.
I have noticed quite a few of us still have our E9x M3! For me, it'd be the last car out of all of mine to leave. I'll still never forget the unveil online way back in 2007 while I was in college and it was a dream car for me. This particular one is also the longest car I've owned (since 2012).

I actually haven't driven it at all since picking up the M2, I'll be really curious to compare them back to back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the shifter is that each shift feels kind of spongy, also noticed it on other M2's I've driven before. Every time you shift into a gear, it's almost like it stops at a soft rubber rather than something a bit more solid like the other cars.

Now, I will say it's definitely not enough for me to not love the car!

I don't quite know what the plan is yet haha. Realistically, the only car I'd consider selling would be the E36 M3, and the market is quite hot right now. But I've only got 2 door coupes and a Roadster and still need a car to haul dogs around. Not willing to do that in a brand new to me M2! So far now, I'm keeping all of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Early reports from me are similar to your thoughts. I think the shift linkage is kind of artificial feeling compared to the Z4M, but the 1->2 shift is far better. The throws are short enough for me.

The clutch is my biggest gripe with the car so far. It feels weird to me for reasons I can't fully articulate. Like the spring is non-linear near the bite point or something. Reverse is a little harder to get into than the Z4M also.
Agreed about the 1-2 shift. I just think the M2 doesn't have the snick-snick action of say the E36 or Z4M. I don't mind the clutch too much, although as all BMW's, a clutch stop would help.

All the shifters being different adds characters to every car
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
KevinM2935.50
chris7197334.00
      08-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #27
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I had an e36 and there is no comparison, IMHO you would regret going that way. I was contemplating getting another one and once I got the M2 that desire is gone for good.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

First wash for the M2 as it's been driven 1k miles back from Texas and pretty much every single day last week (because I just cannot stop driving the stupid thing). One of these days, I'd like to get both of these cars out for a photoshoot, Long Beach Blue and Techno Violet go together so well:

P.S. I love these wheels and how they work with the stock ride height, but my goodness, I have to figure something out because I do not have the patience to clean them. What a painful experience.

Last edited by W///; 08-22-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #29
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm 2000 miles into my ownership (1000 miles from roadtrip back from Texas) and still thoroughly loving this car. Because the other M's are down for one reason or another, I've driven this car every single day the past 2 or 3 weeks, and it's been wonderful:

Thought it would be be fun to rank all the cars in different categories since they're all so different, although I haven't had a chance to drive many of them back to back with the M2.

Best looking: E92 M3, followed so closely by the M2C.
Best color: Long Beach Blue, yes even over Techno Violet. Above picture is one of my favorites for both colors
Best exhaust sound: No surprises here, S65
Best intake sound: S65, but S54 is not far behind
Most comfortable: E92 M3, even lowered and on 19" wheels
Best seats: E92 M3
Best seating position: Z4M
Worst seating position: M2C
Most well rounded: M2C, it does everything so well
Most fuel efficient: M2C. You'd think Z4M but no, that car gets as bad gas mileage as the E92 M3 almost.
Most fun in the wet: By far the M2C
Best brakes: M2C
Worst brakes: E92 M3
Best steering: E36 M3
Best interior quality: E92 M3
Worst interior quality: E36 M3
Best value: Z4M Roadster --> I think one of the most underrated M's for the money
Worst wheels to clean: M2C by a million miles
Car I'd most likely take to the track: M2C
Car I'd most likely take to the mountains: Z4M
Best daily: M2C
Best transmission: Feel wise, E36 M3, but would love 6th gear to keep RPM's down on the hwy
Least favorite transmission: M2C, although I've gotten used to it and it's not as bad now
Easiest to work on: Toss up between E36 M3 and Z4M due to huge engine bay
Cheapest to maintain: E36 M3 by a lot
Most likely to survive past 200k without major repairs: E36 M3
Best sound system: E92 M3
Most exotic feeling: Z4M (top down, view from seat of the long hood, low seating position ect...)
Most likely to get sold if I absolutely have to: E36 M3
Least likely to get sold: E92 M3 (my first M and longest ownership), but I love all of them

That's all I can think of for now
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
akkando5863.00
      10-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #30
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Interesting bests...

Have you ever owned an e39 M5? I wonder other opinions as I've long considered it the best all-around M car whose only flaws were the recirc ball steering (but would feel great today...), brake fade on track (easily fixed), a tendency to understeer and cup holders that couldn't hold a darn thing when driving hard. It was a luxury car, fantastic daily driver, and never shied away from a mountain drive, drag strip, or race track!
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      10-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #31
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Interesting bests...

Have you ever owned an e39 M5? I wonder other opinions as I've long considered it the best all-around M car whose only flaws were the recirc ball steering (but would feel great today...), brake fade on track (easily fixed), a tendency to understeer and cup holders that couldn't hold a darn thing when driving hard. It was a luxury car, fantastic daily driver, and never shied away from a mountain drive, drag strip, or race track!
I've never owned one, but have driven one a few times back to back when I got my E92 M3. To this day, I still think it's one of the best looking BMWs in and out, and it was one of my favorite cars in the late 90s growing up. I personally much prefer the E9x M3 to be honest.

While they don't serve the same purpose, I think there's also too much overlap between between two to own them side by side (although I am a sucker for a Imola Red). The M5 is much more of a cruiser as you mentioned, while the M3 is much more playful.

I also don't think the S62 is anywhere near as exotic or exciting as the S54 or S65. Sure plenty if torque, but didn't feel super special to me.

Also, yes, the cup holders were easily the most useless I've seen on any car. Might as well not have them
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Just passed the 1 year ownership mark. Including the drive from TX when I picked up the car, I've added 7000 miles today, which considering I've got other M's to drive and a daily driver, is a lot for me. This M2C is genuinely one of my favorite cars I've ever driven, including other brands. To be honest, the other M's are currently all collecting dust.

I was supposed to be in Brevard this weekend and decided to do a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. As expected, the car didn't disappoint since it's actually the first chance I've had to drive it up there. I really appreciated how confidence inspiring the brakes felt vs the other stock M brakes I've tried out, it's now finally more on par with the Porsches I've driven up there.

Car is still same as when I bought it one year ago minus putting the stock LBB mirror caps back on. While I'm semi interested in the G87, it might not be good enough to kick this M2 out of the fleet. Absolutely loving it!

P.S. I hate cleaning the 788's. These wheels might have to go just due to how hard they are to clean!

Appreciate 12
Moflow2484.50
CSBM52721.00
Spider.75.50
Bruuuce341.50
cvitt125.50
KevinM2935.50
Davil6523.00
Swish77380.00
gnx759.50
      08-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #33
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
We are truly lucky to own this car.

Also, I don't think the G87 will age as well. If nothing else, the digital gauge cluter / all of id8 will present a challenge in 15+ years when people want to look back at the last of the ICE era.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #34
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think we need to stop talking about the g87 being bad (I know I do it too) because we don't know, lets enjoy the f87 and hope that the G is better so that we have the chance to drive something else awesome.

I have never driven another M car so its good to know that this one is amongst one of the best
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-23-2022, 02:34 AM   #35
thenwood
Rep
Drives: M2c

I love the stories about purchasing a car then driving it some outrageous distance home (im from the UK) what a great way to bond with a new car.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-23-2022, 03:39 AM   #36
Swish77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition '21

What a great read, start to finish!

I had a similar buying experience last month, flying to Chicago and driving a virtually brand new ‘21 M2C (Sunset Orange) about 850 miles back home to CT. Thanks for sharing all of your photos and insights, good and bad.

A couple of counterpoints … I’ve noticed the brake dust doesn’t appear nearly as bad on the black 788 wheels. I actually haven’t felt the need to clean mine yet even though I know they’re dirty. You can’t really see the dirt.

Definitely agree about the firm door armrest on long road trips, but I actually get more annoyed at the center armrest and the way it slides back and forth. I’m constantly inadvertently “sliding” on it when I put weight on it.

The seating position is indeed high (and I’m coming out of a super low 911), but I find that in the lowest seat setting it’s quite comfortable. You get used to it.

Minor gripes on a tremendous vehicle.
Appreciate 2
W///7485.00
gnx759.50
      08-23-2022, 07:10 AM   #37
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish77 View Post
What a great read, start to finish!

I had a similar buying experience last month, flying to Chicago and driving a virtually brand new ‘21 M2C (Sunset Orange) about 850 miles back home to CT. Thanks for sharing all of your photos and insights, good and bad.

A couple of counterpoints … I’ve noticed the brake dust doesn’t appear nearly as bad on the black 788 wheels. I actually haven’t felt the need to clean mine yet even though I know they’re dirty. You can’t really see the dirt.

Definitely agree about the firm door armrest on long road trips, but I actually get more annoyed at the center armrest and the way it slides back and forth. I’m constantly inadvertently “sliding” on it when I put weight on it.

The seating position is indeed high (and I’m coming out of a super low 911), but I find that in the lowest seat setting it’s quite comfortable. You get used to it.

Minor gripes on a tremendous vehicle.
Thanks so much! I especially enjoyed your story as well, and your comparison to your 911T was also great to read. I loved the idea of getting one in yellow or Miami Blue, but just couldn't do it. Now I regret it, especially seeing how much they go for these days. However, it's great to see you speak so highly of the M2C even in comparison to such a great car!

Regarding the center armrest, that's really interesting. I don't have that issue and mine takes some force to slide forward. The only issue I have is that mine squeaks when the bolsters rub against it in the corners.

P.S. While LBB was my first choice by far, I've really come to enjoy SO as well. It's such a shape shifting color!
Appreciate 1
Swish77380.00
      08-23-2022, 07:13 AM   #38
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Ride is stiff, but acceptable in my eyes. This is what I expect from the sportiest M car.
You'd be doing yourself, and the car a favor by opting for the MPS. It's really that much better, and the way the car would have came from the factory if BMW didn't have such strict pricing limits.
Appreciate 2
W///7485.00
      08-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
You'd be doing yourself, and the car a favor by opting for the MPS. It's really that much better, and the way the car would have came from the factory if BMW didn't have such strict pricing limits.
Yep definitely, all in due time! I've read so many opinions about how dramatically that improves the ride, but the car just looks so much better too. If the F87 for sure stays when I have a chance to drive the G87, I will certainly go that route
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13855.50
      08-23-2022, 09:44 AM   #40
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Yep definitely, all in due time! I've read so many opinions about how dramatically that improves the ride, but the car just looks so much better too. If the F87 for sure stays when I have a chance to drive the G87, I will certainly go that route
You'll be very glad you did.

Speaking of very glad, pick up a set of 763M's and ceramic coat them, you'll be glad you did that as well.

And if you don't track your car, a set of CarboTech 1521 pads will reduce your dust by at least 60%, and preserve your rotors in the process.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #41
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Thought it would be be fun to rank all the cars in different categories since they're all so different, although I haven't had a chance to drive many of them back to back with the M2.

Worst seating position: M2C
Great story and follow-up. Really enjoyed your review and critiques.

It's funny though how different we can be in our opinions of the same car. I'm just going to talk about this one point, where you rate the seating position of the M2C as horrible.

The seating position is actually the primary reason I sold my Camaro 2SS 1LE and replaced it with the M2C. I couldn't deal with the hassle of getting in and out of the Camaro any longer.

The seating position of the Camaro is as low as it gets. It feels even lower than it is because of the high window sills, and feels like you're sitting low in a tank with little slits to look out each side. I had the Camaro for 3 years and took it to three track days. It is as close to a race car as I have ever driven. Once on the track, you forget about the visibility and getting in and out, because this car was made for the track. Everything about it is track-focused.

However, I only did one track day per year, and the other 364 days I had to live with the Camaro as a daily driver. Just getting in and out to go to the pharmacy or the super market was a chore. I wanted something that was more of a daily driver but still could do a track day once a year or so.

The M2C is perfect for me. The higher seating position makes getting in and out a non-issure. I took it to Watkins Glen in July for a track day, and the seating position was not a problem. It was just as much fun as the Camaro, though it didn't feel as much like a race car. It's not only that the seating position is higher in the M2C, but also that the M2C doesn't sound like a small block Chevy.

Anyway, that's my take - I like the seating position, though I realize others may not. I don't regret replacing the Camaro with the M2C, but I do miss the sound it made, and the racecar-like feel was definitely fun when I was in the mood. As a daily driver, the M2C is far better, and a lot of that has to do with the higher seating position.
      08-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #42
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
They would have probably done the adjustable suspension if they weren't going to try to get it under 70k. But personally I am good with the current suspension and then upgrading to coil overs. Having tracked the stock suspension its not terrible but boy is it bad as a daily. I rather suffer though and have the car be decent on the track fully stock and it really is. I can't wait to go coil overs, will be doing TCKline though and because I like punishment going for the stiffer spring rate

Also both ///w and ///Mphatic picked the best color the M2. I absolutely LOVE my BSM, it looks great to me and I love black cars but the best color is the blue hands down and I think if I did it over I would have gone for it. I will admit that the only reason I did not pick it was that it was a M2 OG color and very popular so I thought there will be too many of them (and there are but there are so few M2s out there that it really does not matter, its a gourgeous color, even better in real life). My least favorite color is the Hock silver, I about ended up with it but decided against it last minute and having seen a bunch irl its very underwhelming. love SO but just can't pull it off.

I also agree that the seating position on the M2C is not good, you sit way too high. This is most apparent when you move from a car that has a lower sitting position into the m2c, it just feels strange. If you just use the m2 for months on end you start to think that its ok but moving from different cars I wish was better (g8x seating position is absolutely perfect for a stock car).

Last edited by MooMooM2; 08-23-2022 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 11:25 AM   #43
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I did not pick it was that it was a M2 OG color and very popular so I thought there will be too many of them (and there are but there are so few M2s out there that it really does not matter, its a gourgeous color, even better in real life).
Agreed, it's a super beautiful/popular color, but I never see them. Very happy about that fact.

Quote:
My least favorite color is the Hock silver.
Agree here as well, although with a very specific wheel/tire/drop HS can look ok.

Quote:
I also agree that the seating position on the M2C is not good, you sit way too high.
This is a good point for me because I'm short. I don't remember the M2C seats sitting higher than my OG, but I hope when I finally get a set that they do. I mean, the M2 is a commuter car at heart. Lower seating positions are for Sports Cars like the ZM series, S2000, Miata, etc IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #44
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

It's all subjective to some extent (at least) I would say. I think the seating position on the M2C is just fine. In fact, when I back-to-back to my E90 M3, the M3 feels like I am actually sitting "up high" compared to the M2C, lol. In both cars I put the seat all the way down (I'm a bit over 6'2"). That said, the seating position relative to the pedals and gearshift is fantastic in the M2C since, compared to my E90 M3, the wheel adjusts toward the driver much closer which allows me to sit further reward from the pedals. Once set properly, the gearshift is closer to me than in the M3. All subjective I know, but it just all melds nicely (for me) in the M2C. Thankfully with the slicktop in both cars, I have plenty of headroom for wearing a helmet (bit more in the M2C vs M3 actually).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0