BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > New owners…how’s it going?

10-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #177
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
I feel your pain. I lived in Austin for 2yrs (2017-18) and simply an Easterly direction meant mind-numbingly boring. Westerly directions you could find some excellent roads, but ya out towards you was so crap. I can see the appeal of MOAR POWER cause what else can you do out there.

My route did have 2hrs of boring highway driving and another 1hr of good/but way too busy roads, but yes the parts in the middle were awesome. If you find your way to BC, here you go... note those elevation changes

Attachment 2712270
Oh man, I’ve done the Vancouver to Lillooet drive a couple of times. It’s a very good one in the latter parts of the drive. Great roads around there.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
      10-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #178
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Oh man, I’ve done the Vancouver to Lillooet drive a couple of times. It’s a very good one in the latter parts of the drive. Great roads around there.
Ya Pemberton to Lilloeet is about the perfect road for the M2C. Some straight aways to really hammer it and switchbacks at the start and finish and then all that curvy tarmac running along the valley between the lakes.

The best bang for the buck really is to drive out and back - but the Fraser Canyon is cool too, if not too busy and too many small towns to really give it the beans.
Moflow2484.50
      10-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #179
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk View Post
I have the same issue at around 6k miles. It only happens when braking at high speed. Had my annual oil change last month and SA advised they wouldn't replace brakes yet but to report back if it keeps shuddering.
Interesting -- I have noticed the same thing on my car from 0 miles, brand new (well, actually 004 when I picked it up). Drove it all the way back from DC to Dallas thinking it will settle... Did not mention anything at 1200. It would not be present below 40-45mph, but very noticeable above 45.
Finally, took it in at 3000 miles and they decided to completely replace my REAR brakes (rotors, brakes, everything)....nice and shiny...and vibrating.
Took it back and then they decided to completely replace the FRONT brakes...however, that took 1.5 months to order and get it from Germany. I was kind of pissed but driving around the town was ok. Finally, they replaced them October 5 and the car is like it should be -- perfect...
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      11-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #180
BarrettDB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp AW

No doubt by now you have a lot of interesting perspectives about BMW M car ownership. Rather than just repeat what others have said, I'll try to add some perspective that might further the discussion overall - but it would probably also be nice for everyone who has responded to know... How do all of these opinions compare with your own experience?

A few things - and note I ordered by M2c in FEB 21, received it in mid JULY 21, and as of today (NOV 26), it has 1,455 miles on it (MT, Msport parts, etc.). I've owned a LOT of M Cars, and debated between the M2cs and the M2c - the M2cs is the more "competitive" of the two, but the price gets it pretty close to Cayman GT4 and similar cars, so I choose the more "mundane" M2c.

The best thing about the car - and BMW M cars in general - is that you can massage them, perform surgery on them, or send them to the plastic surgeon, and no matter what - if properly done, the car remains happy + whatever you have decided to do to it. That factor alone is a huge benefit.

The next thing is that with the exception of some larger metro cities, M cars are typically purchased by people who love to drive - who don't care what others think beyond admiring something they themselves would like to drive. Sure, there are a lot of smashed up M3s out there in big cities (no offense!), but when you see another M2 (OG, c, or cs), the driver will typically flash their lights, wave, or otherwise acknowledge the "club" that you're a part of.

As for specifics...

SUSPENSION: It would really be terrific if from the factory there was a comfort and sport setting. As noted by many, you can upgrade this capability on your own - lots of options to choose from. It will be interesting to see what the G87 M2 includes...

WHEELS: I'm not a fan of the 788 wheels that came on my car (only choice at the time), but they ARE forged, which is important if you ever decide to take your car to a track. I've heard people say they have had good luck with semi-forged wheels, but that just sounds like a way to save a buck with unknown performance and reliability factors. For now, I'm keeping them, as they ARE forged, and that's a good thing. As for cleaning them, that's a bad thing. However, Ceramic coating and a high pressure water gun make things a bit easier.

FUEL: This has been the biggest surprise, and disappointment. Not only is the consumption significant - but the fuel tank is way too small. One of the measurements of fuel economy is the number of miles per tank. Even if the mileage was what it is - but it was possible to get 300 miles per tank, it would be more acceptable. This is particularly challenging as to remedy this requires more money than is reasonable - the M2cs Racing vehicle has an optional larger fuel tank, but it isn't realistic to try and fit it to the street M2c.

PERSONALIZATION: This is one of the most fun aspects of owning any BMW, but especially an M car. I've read about people ordering parts that significantly change the behavior of the car before they take delivery. For me, driving the car - experiencing the car - as it came from the factory and then making changes is a part of the fun.

I almost fell into the trap of "having to upgrade" the car before I took delivery. I almost ordered a coil over suspension, exhaust, competition steering wheel, wheels, tires, etc. Then, I thought back to some of the earlier M cars I've owned. As strange as it may seem, my favorite M3 was my 1990 E30 EVO. What an amazing car - but in many ways such a basic car to today's cars. I continue to mentally kick myself for selling that car. HUGE mistake. But the benefit from owning that car - and other M cars (in fact other cars) is that it/they reinforced the importance of knowing what you're changing before you actually make the change.

So, for me, the most important first modification was to sit in the car and evaluate all of the sounds, the pings, dings, audio experience, etc. And then to drive for a bit, again thinking about what happens when you stop, start, open the door with the audio system on, etc. That led to an important series of changes: Bimmercode. I shut off some of the pings, cut out the exhaust being pumped into the audio system, the auto-start function, and about 10 other things. Combined, those changes alone made a huge difference in my driving experience. Small annoyances are gone.

I may still change the suspension, but I'll wait until I have at least 3,000 miles on the car, so I can be certain about WHAT I want to improve - sometimes we're used to a specific "thing" and at the end of the day that "thing" may not actually merit a change.

I will certainly change the wheels at some point. And the tires, too - Must experience Cup 2s on this car at speed and on a long winding road. Must.

I will also upgrade the audio system. There are some "plug and play" options out there, and I believe making a change in how music fills the cabin while driving in the city or on the freeway will make those driving experiences more enjoyable. However, when shifting into 2nd gear at 6AM on a Sunday morning and heading into the canyons near where I live, the audio system will be OFF.

HOW TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE: I've read so many articles from so many people about improving performance of the M2c. But I've seen very little about the very best option for getting the maximum performance out of the car: Becoming a better driver.

I've spent many years as an amateur racer, and even at my advanced age of 157 (ahem), every time I drive on a track I learn something new. Too many inexperienced M drivers are too slow in the fast stuff, and too fast in the slow stuff. As you navigate this forum, you'll quickly recognize those who know how to drive, and/or who takes the driving experience seriously.

Going to a driving school is a very good investment. Sure, it's not cheap, but it could save your life, and the life of your M2. More to the point - it's f@#king fun. I'd suggest two school events if you haven't done such a thing yet - one from a third party racing school (Barber, etc.), and then an M school that is specific to BMW. If you pay close attention, take criticism well, your driving experience (even in city driving) will improve greatly.

Next, joining the BMW CCA (if you haven't already) is a terrific next step - and participating in their events, drives, etc. And you have to do it, too! I was a BMW CCA member for many years, then "got too busy with work." Big mistake on my part. I joined again at the beginning of the year, and I have started to fill my calendar with planned activities with the club. It really adds value to the ownership experience. I have two other BMWs in addition to my M2c (2002 S54 M-Roadster and a 2021 i3s REX), so there's no excuse for me to not be involved more. In fact, what better way to get first hand real world experiences from other M drivers?

One more thing... For me...

Shifting. One of the reasons I purchased this car is because I could order it with a manual transmission. It may well be the last new car I purchase with a manual - or even with a gasoline motor for that matter. But I expect to keep this car for quite awhile... So. Shift. Shift. Smile. Shift.

Thanks for reading...
DB
Appreciate 14
BigKutta3872.50
Moflow2484.50
happyjack1657.00
kitskar42.00
(K)1240.50
ADDONE230.00
Foggins1331.50
Bingham276.00
ROASTM162.50
      11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #181
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettDB View Post
No doubt by now you have a lot of interesting perspectives about BMW M car ownership. Rather than just repeat what others have said, I'll try to add some perspective that might further the discussion overall - but it would probably also be nice for everyone who has responded to know... How do all of these opinions compare with your own experience?

A few things - and note I ordered by M2c in FEB 21, received it in mid JULY 21, and as of today (NOV 26), it has 1,455 miles on it (MT, Msport parts, etc.). I've owned a LOT of M Cars, and debated between the M2cs and the M2c - the M2cs is the more "competitive" of the two, but the price gets it pretty close to Cayman GT4 and similar cars, so I choose the more "mundane" M2c.

The best thing about the car - and BMW M cars in general - is that you can massage them, perform surgery on them, or send them to the plastic surgeon, and no matter what - if properly done, the car remains happy + whatever you have decided to do to it. That factor alone is a huge benefit.

The next thing is that with the exception of some larger metro cities, M cars are typically purchased by people who love to drive - who don't care what others think beyond admiring something they themselves would like to drive. Sure, there are a lot of smashed up M3s out there in big cities (no offense!), but when you see another M2 (OG, c, or cs), the driver will typically flash their lights, wave, or otherwise acknowledge the "club" that you're a part of.

As for specifics...

SUSPENSION: It would really be terrific if from the factory there was a comfort and sport setting. As noted by many, you can upgrade this capability on your own - lots of options to choose from. It will be interesting to see what the G87 M2 includes...

WHEELS: I'm not a fan of the 788 wheels that came on my car (only choice at the time), but they ARE forged, which is important if you ever decide to take your car to a track. I've heard people say they have had good luck with semi-forged wheels, but that just sounds like a way to save a buck with unknown performance and reliability factors. For now, I'm keeping them, as they ARE forged, and that's a good thing. As for cleaning them, that's a bad thing. However, Ceramic coating and a high pressure water gun make things a bit easier.

FUEL: This has been the biggest surprise, and disappointment. Not only is the consumption significant - but the fuel tank is way too small. One of the measurements of fuel economy is the number of miles per tank. Even if the mileage was what it is - but it was possible to get 300 miles per tank, it would be more acceptable. This is particularly challenging as to remedy this requires more money than is reasonable - the M2cs Racing vehicle has an optional larger fuel tank, but it isn't realistic to try and fit it to the street M2c.

PERSONALIZATION: This is one of the most fun aspects of owning any BMW, but especially an M car. I've read about people ordering parts that significantly change the behavior of the car before they take delivery. For me, driving the car - experiencing the car - as it came from the factory and then making changes is a part of the fun.

I almost fell into the trap of "having to upgrade" the car before I took delivery. I almost ordered a coil over suspension, exhaust, competition steering wheel, wheels, tires, etc. Then, I thought back to some of the earlier M cars I've owned. As strange as it may seem, my favorite M3 was my 1990 E30 EVO. What an amazing car - but in many ways such a basic car to today's cars. I continue to mentally kick myself for selling that car. HUGE mistake. But the benefit from owning that car - and other M cars (in fact other cars) is that it/they reinforced the importance of knowing what you're changing before you actually make the change.

So, for me, the most important first modification was to sit in the car and evaluate all of the sounds, the pings, dings, audio experience, etc. And then to drive for a bit, again thinking about what happens when you stop, start, open the door with the audio system on, etc. That led to an important series of changes: Bimmercode. I shut off some of the pings, cut out the exhaust being pumped into the audio system, the auto-start function, and about 10 other things. Combined, those changes alone made a huge difference in my driving experience. Small annoyances are gone.

I may still change the suspension, but I'll wait until I have at least 3,000 miles on the car, so I can be certain about WHAT I want to improve - sometimes we're used to a specific "thing" and at the end of the day that "thing" may not actually merit a change.

I will certainly change the wheels at some point. And the tires, too - Must experience Cup 2s on this car at speed and on a long winding road. Must.

I will also upgrade the audio system. There are some "plug and play" options out there, and I believe making a change in how music fills the cabin while driving in the city or on the freeway will make those driving experiences more enjoyable. However, when shifting into 2nd gear at 6AM on a Sunday morning and heading into the canyons near where I live, the audio system will be OFF.

HOW TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE: I've read so many articles from so many people about improving performance of the M2c. But I've seen very little about the very best option for getting the maximum performance out of the car: Becoming a better driver.

I've spent many years as an amateur racer, and even at my advanced age of 157 (ahem), every time I drive on a track I learn something new. Too many inexperienced M drivers are too slow in the fast stuff, and too fast in the slow stuff. As you navigate this forum, you'll quickly recognize those who know how to drive, and/or who takes the driving experience seriously.

Going to a driving school is a very good investment. Sure, it's not cheap, but it could save your life, and the life of your M2. More to the point - it's f@#king fun. I'd suggest two school events if you haven't done such a thing yet - one from a third party racing school (Barber, etc.), and then an M school that is specific to BMW. If you pay close attention, take criticism well, your driving experience (even in city driving) will improve greatly.

Next, joining the BMW CCA (if you haven't already) is a terrific next step - and participating in their events, drives, etc. And you have to do it, too! I was a BMW CCA member for many years, then "got too busy with work." Big mistake on my part. I joined again at the beginning of the year, and I have started to fill my calendar with planned activities with the club. It really adds value to the ownership experience. I have two other BMWs in addition to my M2c (2002 S54 M-Roadster and a 2021 i3s REX), so there's no excuse for me to not be involved more. In fact, what better way to get first hand real world experiences from other M drivers?

One more thing... For me...

Shifting. One of the reasons I purchased this car is because I could order it with a manual transmission. It may well be the last new car I purchase with a manual - or even with a gasoline motor for that matter. But I expect to keep this car for quite awhile... So. Shift. Shift. Smile. Shift.

Thanks for reading...
DB
Great post, thanks for sharing! The gas mileage thing is still a BIG head scratcher for me. I have had two previous F8X cars and both of them had better MPG vs the M2C. I get that absolute miles will be lower due to the smaller gas tank, but how is the MPG worse? Same engine, transmission, etc...and a bit lighter.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #182
IcewaterPete
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

BarrettDB,

Thanks for the thinking man’s post. Excellent points.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
      12-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #183
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

44,000kms in 13 months. been across the country in it. Love it.

Doesn't make me dislike my properly set up E9x though. Just a slightly different form of heaven.
      12-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #184
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
44,000kms in 13 months. been across the country in it. Love it.

Doesn't make me dislike my properly set up E9x though. Just a slightly different form of heaven.
DCT or manual? Comp?
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      12-04-2021, 09:09 PM   #185
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
DCT or manual? Comp?
DCT Comp, HS
      12-05-2021, 03:10 AM   #186
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
DCT or manual? Comp?
DCT Comp, HS
The best daily driver version of all M2's (cs excluded). Awesome build.

I'm at 50k miles for my OG. I've had almost five years to get there but I couldn't imagine any long road trips with it. Whether it be the manual transmission or the drone from the exhaust, I would lose my mind.

DCT comp would be a different story though. After having my car for all these years that's the build I would take if I could get a new M2 today. I needed the time with the manual to get that out of my system but I would get another stick car in the future as a weekender (E93 M3)
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
Davil6333.50
      12-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #187
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Just topped 13000 miles this first season, and loving every bit of it (except having to put her away until April). 16 track days, several long trips (600+mi/day), and a bunch of Adirondack runs. Only real complaint is the size of the gas tank, but even that isn't a huge deal.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
      12-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #188
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Nicely done on the 13k in a single NE year :-)
I'm still under 5k and was hanging out over US Thanksgiving with guys I'd not seen in a couple months and they asked about the car.

Frankly I told them, it was always a total luxury purchase (not in the $$$ sense) and being in the city I have a lot of trouble making use of it.
So when I got back to town and figured I better take early Saturday morning and make use of it

Name:  M2C_MPP01.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  273.6 KB

Bit of a drive to get out there, but hit the B roads between the Bay Area and the Central Valley and quickly reminded myself what this car can do. Was expecting to have to tippy toe around the lycra brigade but none of them were out there. Just pickups and SUVs heading out to the motorcross trails.

Name:  M2C_MPP02.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  353.3 KB

Can only repeat the sentiment I had the last time I went out just to stretch the legs: a simply sublime pocket rocket.
Uscray134.00
Moflow2484.50
willb33.00
Foggins1331.50
      01-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #189
kitskar
kitskar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 comp

Very Happy ... Take the long way home all of the time.
The main reason for getting the M2 was the 6 MT
The car has wonderful on the road power and handling .. no need to go to track to have fun
The gas tank is Absolutely to small
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #190
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
I am noticing the same issue with mine at 5500 miles. I didn't notice it until the last 1000 miles or so. I will monitor it until my next service; it's not that bad at moment, but I know it probably won't be an easy conversation with a dealer since brakes are wear items (aka they are going to try and charge me for a brake service)...
I finally got back to the dealer and had my brakes done. I went in at 8200 miles in mid-November to complain about them pulsating badly.. dealer agreed immediately and ordered front rotors & pads with "unknown" lead-time out of Germany. Got back last week and got the job done. Work order shows "thickness out of spec" which is interesting - no further elaboration. Apparently BMW had to approve this as a "goodwill repair" rather than just covering it under warranty as defective parts, which annoys me - please don't tell me you're doing me some kind of favor when you're just honoring the warranty.

The good news is that the problem is definitely gone, the brakes now perform perfectly, and I even gained some pedal feel in the process - before then were shockingly abrupt and difficult to modulate; now modulation is easier and feels more natural. The parts alone - just fronts remember - list for a total of ~$1600. Yikes.

And back to the original thread topic - how's it going? The brakes are the only problem of any kind I've had with the car (now at 9700 miles). Couldn't be happier with it. It has exceeded my lofty expectations in every respect. What a great car.
kitskar42.00
Foggins1331.50
      01-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #191
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I finally got back to the dealer and had my brakes done. I went in at 8200 miles in mid-November to complain about them pulsating badly.. dealer agreed immediately and ordered front rotors & pads with "unknown" lead-time out of Germany. Got back last week and got the job done. Work order shows "thickness out of spec" which is interesting - no further elaboration. Apparently BMW had to approve this as a "goodwill repair" rather than just covering it under warranty as defective parts, which annoys me - please don't tell me you're doing me some kind of favor when you're just honoring the warranty.

The good news is that the problem is definitely gone, the brakes now perform perfectly, and I even gained some pedal feel in the process - before then were shockingly abrupt and difficult to modulate; now modulation is easier and feels more natural. The parts alone - just fronts remember - list for a total of ~$1600. Yikes.

And back to the original thread topic - how's it going? The brakes are the only problem of any kind I've had with the car (now at 9700 miles). Couldn't be happier with it. It has exceeded my lofty expectations in every respect. What a great car.
Good to know. I haven't noticed mine much as of recent since I haven't been driving it hard, but I will keep this in mind
Foggins1331.50
      01-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #192
yk7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3

Got mine a week ago almost. I love it. Mini rocket, awesome midrange tq, oversteer fun at lower speeds, great handling and simple interior.
Car has M Performance exhaust from factory, loving all the noises it makes, and no drone at highway speeds.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      01-21-2022, 10:10 PM   #193
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

So yesterday, 1/20/22, was my official 1 year of ownership with the Competition. I'm ashamed to admit that I've only been able to put about 5500 miles on it since new. Barely enough seat time to really get to know the car but enough to make a couple of impressions. Just some background, I come from a world of sub 350hp MT Japanese cars I used as my daily drivers (S2000, V6 Accord, TL-S, G37S, 350Z).

The elephant in the room is that the car is capable. Overly so. FRUSTRATINGLY so. Too capable for everyday, public road use. Every drive is a practice in restraint and the general character of the car is that it is constantly goading you into hooning the thing. So much power, so much braking, just so much everything available to you at the drop of a hat. I knew this going in but didn't really understand it until ownership. I have to remind myself to not romp on it in day to day driving but I do try to find every opportunity I can to open it up for short bursts of elation. In my neck of the woods, winding roads are a little scarce but there's no lack of highway access. My goal this year is further drives out west where the good roads lie. The silence of back roads will be filled with the cacophony of snaps from the Akrapovic exhaust and my own cackles.

To follow up on this, even the M lite M240i is more than sufficient for street use and really that was one of the cars that made it to my final list of cars to buy when I was shopping. What made me choose the Competition over the M lite was the allure of the M and, most importantly, just those absolutely fantastic hips. I've seen M2 bumper swaps on the less capable 2'ers but they just don't look nearly as great as the real deal, not without those hips. So apart from performance, the looks of this car is just grade A beef. This is not an elegant car, nor is it a particularly "handsome" one, but man it does look great! Everything from the way the 2NH brakes needlessly fill the wheel gaps to the way the stance kind of reminds you of a bulldog. I think BMW did a fantastic job packaging this car. Everything is just excessive and in all the right ways.

Some grievances, as not all is perfect on the M2. The shifter is definitely in need of improvement, as is the clutch pedal feel, as is the steering feel. This is true for many newer production cars short of a Porsche. Most of this can be easily remedied through the common trifecta of shifting mods (UCP, CDV delete, AS SSK) but it would have been nice to have had it sorted from factory. I'm also not one for the burble tune so I'm itching to get to that in a year or two. Outside of that, there's the usual complaints of brake dust/noise and ridiculously small gas tank. Not the fuel efficiency, mind you, just the size of the tank for overall range. All traits befitting a performance oriented car but they would have been great quality of life improvements.

So where do we go from here? Well I'm already close to half the price of the car in mods, probably even more so. A fact that I'm not proud of but a figure I refuse to keep track of. The list continues to grow and will do so until I decide otherwise. I may likely still be in the honeymoon phase but I really don't see this car leaving my garage any time soon. Will continue to mod and drive as much as I possibly can. I know there are those out there planning to baby their M2(OG/C/CS) and keep them pristine with low mileage (and for good reason, I'm sure) but you are doing yourself an injustice. Get out there and tear it up as much as you can. Life's too short not to.

Attached: one of my favorite pictures of the thing during the first month of ownership. I'm just as bad with taking more pictures of the thing as I am with putting miles on it. Hopefully that's going to change more this year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 13
RideM315.50
Foggins1331.50
JggyM228.50
happyjack1657.00
BigKutta3872.50
MeinZwei156.00
Moflow2484.50
M3R12147.00
ROASTM162.50
      01-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #194
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
The elephant in the room is that the car is capable. Overly so. FRUSTRATINGLY so. Too capable for everyday, public road use. Every drive is a practice in restraint and the general character of the car is that it is constantly goading you into hooning the thing. So much power, so much braking, just so much everything available to you at the drop of a hat. I knew this going in but didn't really understand it until ownership. I have to remind myself to not romp on it in day to day driving but I do try to find every opportunity I can to open it up for short bursts of elation. In my neck of the woods, winding roads are a little scarce but there's no lack of highway access. My goal this year is further drives out west where the good roads lie. The silence of back roads will be filled with the cacophony of snaps from the Akrapovic exhaust and my own cackles.
Thats exactly how you have to enjoy the M2 (short of the track). Take the opportunity (safely) when you can. I have a lot of back roads, so even the drive home from work is an adventure for me every day. Even timing a left turn light perfectly (with no one ahead of me), or taking that S curve ramp onto the highway is just pure joy. I have mapped a longer and more fun way to/from work for myself only so I can achieve these bursts of elation!
Appreciate 3
happyjack1657.00
(K)1240.50
Foggins1331.50
      01-30-2022, 02:19 AM   #195
jjschube
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

5,000 miles in.....

clutch engagement too long...fixed with burger clutch stop
asd is horrible...easy fix with bimmercode
stock tires aren't grippy enough
1st to 2nd isn't great...no fix
small gas tank
2021 dme lock

Other than that, incredible. 9.5/10
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
Foggins1331.50
      01-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #196
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
So yesterday, 1/20/22, was my official 1 year of ownership with the Competition. I'm ashamed to admit that I've only been able to put about 5500 miles on it since new. Barely enough seat time to really get to know the car but enough to make a couple of impressions. Just some background, I come from a world of sub 350hp MT Japanese cars I used as my daily drivers (S2000, V6 Accord, TL-S, G37S, 350Z).

To follow up on this, even the M lite M240i is more than sufficient for street use and really that was one of the cars that made it to my final list of cars to buy when I was shopping. What made me choose the Competition over the M lite was the allure of the M and, most importantly, just those absolutely fantastic hips. I've seen M2 bumper swaps on the less capable 2'ers but they just don't look nearly as great as the real deal, not without those hips. So apart from performance, the looks of this car is just grade A beef. This is not an elegant car, nor is it a particularly "handsome" one, but man it does look great! Everything from the way the 2NH brakes needlessly fill the wheel gaps to the way the stance kind of reminds you of a bulldog. I think BMW did a fantastic job packaging this car. Everything is just excessive and in all the right ways.

Some grievances, as not all is perfect on the M2. The shifter is definitely in need of improvement, as is the clutch pedal feel, as is the steering feel. This is true for many newer production cars short of a Porsche. Most of this can be easily remedied through the common trifecta of shifting mods (UCP, CDV delete, AS SSK) but it would have been nice to have had it sorted from factory. I'm also not one for the burble tune so I'm itching to get to that in a year or two. Outside of that, there's the usual complaints of brake dust/noise and ridiculously small gas tank. Not the fuel efficiency, mind you, just the size of the tank for overall range. All traits befitting a performance oriented car but they would have been great quality of life improvements.

So where do we go from here? Well I'm already close to half the price of the car in mods, probably even more so. A fact that I'm not proud of but a figure I refuse to keep track of. The list continues to grow and will do so until I decide otherwise. I may likely still be in the honeymoon phase but I really don't see this car leaving my garage any time soon. Will continue to mod and drive as much as I possibly can. I know there are those out there planning to baby their M2(OG/C/CS) and keep them pristine with low mileage (and for good reason, I'm sure) but you are doing yourself an injustice. Get out there and tear it up as much as you can. Life's too short not to.

Attached: one of my favorite pictures of the thing during the first month of ownership. I'm just as bad with taking more pictures of the thing as I am with putting miles on it. Hopefully that's going to change more this year.

Put a Auto Solutions SSK in it with the UCP (Ultimate Clutch Pedal). End of complaints :-)
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 2
(K)1240.50
Foggins1331.50
      01-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #197
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

One of my favorite mods to the car; I went with 22.5% reduction, stock height, and 95a bushings. Many thanks to you for allowing me to get a feel for the shifter on your previous Competition!
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      01-30-2022, 12:09 PM   #198
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
One of my favorite mods to the car; I went with 22.5% reduction, stock height, and 95a bushings. Many thanks to you for allowing me to get a feel for the shifter on your previous Competition!
is this DIY-able? obviously need to purchase the SS kit, but how difficult is the install on a scale of 1-10...assuming 1 is changing a flat tire and 10 is swapping a blown engine?

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line

Last edited by happyjack; 01-30-2022 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50