BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 2016 DCT to Manual Gearbox Conversion

09-14-2020, 01:36 AM   #1
F22GO
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 2016

M2 2016 DCT to Manual Gearbox Conversion

Looking at converting my DCT transmission to a Manual gearbox for my track car. Has anyone attempted this? Would the cross-member & tailshaft be the same?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Why??

Why?

Unless you're extremely quick and talented you may be better off with a DCT setup.

Quicker shifts first of all. Second, you'll have your paddle shifters. No taking your eyes off the track. Third, if you get in the wrong gear on the track,such as third when you meant fifth, you just trashed your motor and transmission. And yes, it happens to the best of us.

I worked for a racing school where we had two Porsche 911s. One manual and one PDK. Is a manual fun? Oh yes. Would I rather have a PDK for the long haul? Definitely.

In the end it's your money. Me, I'd spend it on adding a really good roll cage, suspension setup, and fire extinguisher system. Even different seatbelts. Recaro seats or some other manufacturers if you prefer. If you're really serious, some safety equipment for yourself. Such as a good helmet. Even gloves and a firesuit. That's on top of the obvious. Track pads and tire/wheel setup.
      09-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Why?

Unless you're extremely quick and talented you may be better off with a DCT setup.

Quicker shifts first of all. Second, you'll have your paddle shifters. No taking your eyes off the track. Third, if you get in the wrong gear on the track,such as third when you meant fifth, you just trashed your motor and transmission. And yes, it happens to the best of us.

I worked for a racing school where we had two Porsche 911s. One manual and one PDK. Is a manual fun? Oh yes. Would I rather have a PDK for the long haul? Definitely.

In the end it's your money. Me, I'd spend it on adding a really good roll cage, suspension setup, and fire extinguisher system. Even different seatbelts. Recaro seats or some other manufacturers if you prefer. If you're really serious, some safety equipment for yourself. Such as a good helmet. Even gloves and a firesuit. That's on top of the obvious. Track pads and tire/wheel setup.
I don't really disagree with you, but I do have some points to add.

1. Yeah most likely you will be faster with a dct regardless of skill.

2. You don't really have to take your eyes off the track with a manual, atleast for me I always know what gear I am in even if I do not look at the shifter after driving for a long time. I am used to what gear my car is in based on how fast im going and the sound of the engine.

3. Yeah money shifts can happen which would suck which is why the dct is a better choice to prevent this, but the best way to eliminate that issue is to be calm while shifting and changing your hand placement. For example (in a left hand drive car) when I shift from first to second I have my palm facing the first and second gates aka my hand is on the right side of the shifter putting pressure towards the gate as well this way there will be no chance for it to slip out of this gate, for 3rd and 4th gear my hand will be on top of the shifter with no pressure left or right, for 5th and 6th gear my palm will be facing those two gates aka my hand will be on the left side of the shifter pushing towards those gates. This is the best method imo to never or vastly reduce any chance of mis shifts. Also you have to be calm when shifting fast, if you are flustered take a breath and slow down.

4. IMO I enjoy manuals alot which is why I have a 6 speed, but if you want the best possible times stick with the dct. Otherwise it might be cheaper to sell you car and buy another one with a manual rather than converting. But if you want to stick with your car and convert use real oem to compare part numbers.
      09-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Why?

I don't really disagree with you, but I do have some points to add.

1. Yeah most likely you will be faster with a dct regardless of skill.

2. You don't really have to take your eyes off the track with a manual, atleast for me I always know what gear I am in even if I do not look at the shifter after driving for a long time. I am used to what gear my car is in based on how fast im going and the sound of the engine.

3. Yeah money shifts can happen which would suck which is why the dct is a better choice to prevent this, but the best way to eliminate that issue is to be calm while shifting and changing your hand placement. For example (in a left hand drive car) when I shift from first to second I have my palm facing the first and second gates aka my hand is on the right side of the shifter putting pressure towards the gate as well this way there will be no chance for it to slip out of this gate, for 3rd and 4th gear my hand will be on top of the shifter with no pressure left or right, for 5th and 6th gear my palm will be facing those two gates aka my hand will be on the left side of the shifter pushing towards those gates. This is the best method imo to never or vastly reduce any chance of mis shifts. Also you have to be calm when shifting fast, if you are flustered take a breath and slow down.

4. IMO I enjoy manuals alot which is why I have a 6 speed, but if you want the best possible times stick with the dct. Otherwise it might be cheaper to sell you car and buy another one with a manual rather than converting. But if you want to stick with your car and convert use real oem to compare part numbers.
I agree with you on the six speed. My F87 has it and so did the 335i that I traded in on it. For a person that gets a lot of track time they're awesome when used correctly.

If you're going to use one, get really familiar with it. The practice will come in handy when the "oh crap" moment happens either to you or in front of you. Above all, learn to rev match. Almost a lost art. Yes, I know a lot of people know how. I also know that during our schools you would be amazed how many students faces get that "huh" look when you talk about it. I was one of them.

And definitely use oem parts if you do a conversion.
      09-21-2020, 07:02 PM   #5
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Why on earth would you do a conversion when it would cost you far less money and time to just sell the DCT and buy a manual? Not only are you going to spend a fortune on parts, you’re going to depreciate the hell out of a car with a DCT vin.
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

This is a terrible idea. As the poster above commented, you're going to spend massively more money to do this conversion rather than selling your car and buying a 6spd M2.

Beyond that, your conversion will never work as well as a stock car unless you are going to use a top quality shop. Again, it's just a waste of money to do a conversion and end up with an almost unsellable car.
Appreciate 1
F22GO0.00