United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Simple Physics.
M2 can't stand a chance if it gets hit by a large trailer but a heavier car can.
Same for any small car. Though equally true that larger cars aren't by default safer just because of mass. A G80 M3C however will have a mass advantage over a M2 and will have better active and passive safety tech being the newer car. The one advantage a M2 could have is braking distance having less mass to pull up (avoiding an accident in the first place).
What if someone Tbones you? M3C will have a higher survival rate. The M2 body cage is kinda weak.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #68
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
What if someone Tbones you? M3C will have a higher survival rate. The M2 body cage is kinda weak.
What if a meteor hits your house? Does this influence your decision of choice of dwelling?
Appreciate 9
F87EVO4031.00
M3R12168.50
ptgltw3777.50
Tornado1M1211.00
MomoM3984.00
      10-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #69
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
What if a meteor hits your house? Does this influence your decision of choice of dwelling?
You gotta love Davil's way of dealing with oddball issues; let's set the cat among the pigeons and see who comes out least bloodied

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Simple Physics.
M2 can't stand a chance if it gets hit by a large trailer but a heavier car can.
Same for any small car. Though equally true that larger cars aren't by default safer just because of mass. A G80 M3C however will have a mass advantage over a M2 and will have better active and passive safety tech being the newer car. The one advantage a M2 could have is braking distance having less mass to pull up (avoiding an accident in the first place).
When it comes to WHAT IF, the best reply I ever heard is: If my aunt had b#&ls, she'd be my uncle

F87EVO4031.00
Bokke573.50
      10-12-2021, 10:53 PM   #70
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
You are going way off. I'm scoping my analysis to BMW cars (or cars in general) but you are going off limits. Stay on course!!

It's simple physics… small car will always be more dangerous to drive in relation to what's on the road. The 3 series is a mid sedan so it's well balanced and chances of survival are higher given good safety is offered by the body of the car.

If you go by your logic then a cycle is also safe to drive on the freeway… but in relation to a cycle the M2 is heavier and safer.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:55 PM   #71
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are going way off. I'm scoping my analysis to BMW cars (or cars in general) but you are going off limits. Stay on course!!

It's simple physics… small car will always be more dangerous to drive in relation to what's on the road. The 3 series is a mid sedan so it's well balanced and chances of survival are higher given good safety is offered by the body of the car.

If you go by your logic then a cycle is also safe to drive on the freeway… but in relation to a cycle the M2 is heavier and safer.
Danger is my nickname
      10-13-2021, 01:35 AM   #72
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unless the bigger car is a Ford Pinto
      10-13-2021, 05:44 AM   #73
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Speaking of "going way off", what does any of this have to do with the thread's topic? 🤔
Appreciate 3
RV1M289.50
MinionM3492.00
      10-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #74
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver91 View Post
I'm starting to just want to keep it. There's nothing to replace it with for even 125 unless used with no warranty
This ^^

You have the best BMW has made in 20 years IMHO.

For example to get the best Porsche makes would cost 3x the price.

Thinking GT2 RS.

Lambo would be 8x - SVJ

Ferrari would be 5x - Pista

Ford would be 8x - Ford GT

And it's tough to compare the best BMW to the 4-10th (depending on who you ask) best Porsche (GT4).

The GT2 RS is on my list of cars to own if I could only own one car. It's a steal at that price.
I agree!!

I have these moments when I am like "shit I haven't driven the GT3 in 2 weeks" and I have to take it out….

I have put almost 9,000 miles in the CS since January and 450 on the GT3.

I only recently spec'd a 992 GT3 and am in no rush to want to get one!

Didn't think I would admit that 12 months ago!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 3
ptgltw3777.50
M3R12168.50
      10-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #75
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In the 1970's they used to say the most dangerous place to be in traffic was behind a Pinto and in front of an Audi. For those who don't remember, Pinto's had exploding gas tanks and Audi's had accelerator problems that caused the car to unexpectedly speed up for no reason lol
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #76
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Quote:
In the 1970's they used to say the most dangerous place to be in traffic was behind a Pinto and in front of an Audi. For those who don't remember, Pinto's had exploding gas tanks and Audi's had accelerator problems that caused the car to unexpectedly speed up for no reason lol
An explosive match made in hell
      10-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #77
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'm seeing more G series cars on the road and the F series look like a timeless classic already. I think the F platform will be very desirable years from now.
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1211.00
      10-18-2021, 05:57 PM   #78
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

The good news is most owners are actually modifying them to their taste and driving them. These cars being seen is a great thing. Let the legend grow.

Everyone I run into that is a good friend or has an M2 and I trust them, I let the drive the car and see for themselves.

One guy take it from Indy track back to the hotel, about a 15 min drive.

He said oh man, it's been 5 years since I drove a manual. I told him, good think you didn't share that before you started driving. I would have taken the keys from you.

Let the legend grow.
F87EVO4031.00
      10-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #79
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
The good news is most owners are actually modifying them to their taste and driving them. These cars being seen is a great thing. Let the legend grow.

Everyone I run into that is a good friend or has an M2 and I trust them, I let the drive the car and see for themselves.

One guy take it from Indy track back to the hotel, about a 15 min drive.

He said oh man, it's been 5 years since I drove a manual. I told him, good think you didn't share that before you started driving. I would have taken the keys from you.

Let the legend grow.
To be fair, these cars are super easy to drive manuals. You'd really have to be an idiot to stall these things.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #80
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

My 15 And 17 year olds both had an easier time with this clutch than the one they learned on.

My 17 year old daughter drove it quite well in anger with some great instructors at the last bmwcca autocross — next up for her is some real track time in it this spring.
Appreciate 1
JPMD171.00
      10-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #81
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post

To be fair, these cars are super easy to drive manuals. You'd really have to be an idiot to stall these things.
Well yes, they are practically semi automated. Anti stall, hill hold, rev match etc. Great for learners but they may get a bit of a shock when they drive an older car.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1211.00
      10-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #82
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well yes, they are practically semi automated. Anti stall, hill hold, rev match etc. Great for learners but they may get a bit of a shock when they drive an older car.
For sure. Switching from this car to a S50 vehicle w/ cable driven throttle is always fun.
Appreciate 1
Davil6523.00
      10-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #83
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestevesteve View Post
My 15 And 17 year olds both had an easier time with this clutch than the one they learned on.

My 17 year old daughter drove it quite well in anger with some great instructors at the last bmwcca autocross — next up for her is some real track time in it this spring.
Hi Steve,

Did you buy any chance buy my Estoril Blue E36 M3 years ago?

Mike
      10-19-2021, 08:15 AM   #84
tizzyd
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
I also have been agonizing about this....when I bought it, I thought I was going to keep it forever. Hence full front XPEL, M Performance Exhaust, Ceramic coat......

But for some reason, despite all of the hype and amazing reviews, I just cannot fall in love with it. I am a die hard BMW guy - I have an E92 M3, E46 M3, E60 M5, E39 M5, E34 M5, F10 M5....and I find myself grabbing any of those keys over the CS. I had it at Nelson Ledges (road course near me) the other week and it was very impressive but I just can't get past the fact that it's not getting under my skin and giving me the same feeling as the other cars.

Tough to justify the price for me at the moment....fyi it's BSM/GLD/steels/6MT.
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #85
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyd View Post
I also have been agonizing about this....when I bought it, I thought I was going to keep it forever. Hence full front XPEL, M Performance Exhaust, Ceramic coat......

But for some reason, despite all of the hype and amazing reviews, I just cannot fall in love with it. I am a die hard BMW guy - I have an E92 M3, E46 M3, E60 M5, E39 M5, E34 M5, F10 M5....and I find myself grabbing any of those keys over the CS. I had it at Nelson Ledges (road course near me) the other week and it was very impressive but I just can't get past the fact that it's not getting under my skin and giving me the same feeling as the other cars.

Tough to justify the price for me at the moment....fyi it's BSM/GLD/steels/6MT.
Man, if you don't love it and aren't interested in collecting, I'd try to offload it while the market is hot. I love mine. Just the right mix of old school and new school for me. I mentioned previously that the F platform is going to age well in my opinion. Especially with the G serious and i series on horizon. What would you replace it with?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #86
tizzyd
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Man, if you don't love it and aren't interested in collecting, I'd try to offload it while the market is hot. I love mine. Just the right mix of old school and new school for me. I mentioned previously that the F platform is going to age well in my opinion. Especially with the G serious and i series on horizon. What would you replace it with?
The thing is that I am interested in collecting but I think they will end up doing some runout of the next gen M2, which I'm sure will come in a manual. I think this could end up being a 911R type situation.

Not sure. Potentially M4 GTS? I just drove my buddy's and was blown away. I think what angers me about the M2 CS is they could have taken it a bit further and it would have made a huge diff. I suppose part of the appeal is if you have one performance car in your garage, the M2 CS is awesome bc it really is so drivable and usable. But I just think CF buckets, some firmer suspension, rear seat delete/roll bar, ceramics standard, and full titanium exhaust from factory would have gone a long way. I would have happily paid an extra $10k (even though I think 85k was steep in the first place). I honestly think if it had the new CF buckets, ceramics standard, and a louder exhaust you wouldn't be reading this.

Like I said, the car is pretty awesome but for whatever reason I just can't fall for it despite it, in theory, being my perfect BMW.
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #87
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's one of the best cars BMW has ever made, but with that, it's almost too good for normal roads. It's more entertaining taking a S50 or S54 era car out, in my opinion, on normal roads. Plus, something like the clownshoe or 850CSi gets way more attention, TBH.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:36 AM   #88
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I mentioned previously that the F platform is going to age well in my opinion. Especially with the G serious and i series on horizon.

What would you replace it with?
Another F8x I guess