BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Slow leak from tire - to patch or not to patch

10-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #23
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 03:55 AM   #24
J886
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Competition

plug and patch is the way to go, considering that it is in the centre of the tire

the only time you absolutely should replace a tire with a nail is if you have a leak on the shoulder/sidewall (ask me how I know lol)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #25
kellyzerx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Yes I recall if you bought the tires at Discount Tire, they'll patch for free.

And yes, a plug patch is best, a plain patch 2nd, and a plug 3rd and my recommendation only in circumstances the other options aren't available.

Probably some BMW and other tire shops are hesitant to patch a PSS or other speed rated tire because it technically loses its advertised speed rating. Can you say liability if you then have a blow out at 120 mph???

PS: At age 17-18 I worked at a full service gas station and patched/plugged/fixed many a tire. You should have seen the conditions of the tires/rims folks wanted patched or plugged. Plus I guarantee that old equipment couldn't handle todays 20" rims.
I had a nail in a tire too. Right on the centre. Generally considered a safe area to patch. My wheel and tire warranty replaced it instead of patching even though it was at their expense. Says a lot for the liability risk they must consider a patch to be on an M car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #26
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Having been there recently

It sounds like doing both plugging and patching the back side of the tire is a quality repair and should carry no concerns for street drive. The general consensus was don't drive a patched tire on track, but street drive wouldn't be of concern. I am currently running rear tires both with a patch/plug combo and have had no issues. YMMV
Appreciate 0